Questions for you portable gurus..

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
First of all I didn't know Art was a porty guy. Second of all is, until you have high heat, and I mean upwards of boiling water at the wand, you have NO CLUE what the difference is. Heat makes all the difference. I had a HM CDS and switched to a Powerclean Genesis and basically work the same amount of hours a day and make 50% more. How does that sound Art? That'll pay a TM payment in 1 day, dude.
Well it's a shame you wasted your money on that HM CDS. I bought right the first time with the Pro1200 which avails me 240 degree solution when I want it. I actually do have a clue about the usefulness of heat, and it's limitations.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I'm curious as to what one might make for 6 hours of their time in Clawson, MI. I know I would expect to make somewhere between $800- $1000.
I realize you are just trying to slam me Doug, but I actually do most of my work outside of my little blue collar hometown. How much you or I anyone else makes on a six hour job is more a reflection of our own price structures. I was very happy with what I made. You probably could have made more, but I don't really don't care. It's none of my business.

Name
Nate W.
Well it's a shame you wasted your money on that HM CDS. I bought right the first time with the Pro1200 which avails me 240 degree solution when I want it. I actually do have a clue about the usefulness of heat, and it's limitations.

I thought you got it right with the CFX? I mean that's why you let it sit and use a porty.......... Not a slam, just razzin ya.....

Mikey P

Administrator
Frank are you talking about the Oreck Orbiter or the Oreck OP the Ricky sells?

Orbiter-600-Right1-460x343.jpg

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
For it's size, weight and versatility, it can't be beat.

A red pad or a MF combo pad under it does wonders, of course on a relatively smaller scale.

Are you really going to lug a big Vario/175 around to quickly bang out a few traffic lanes, or scrub down a few rooms?

After a few months of dragging a stinky porty and it's accessories in and out of peoples homes and tripping over hoses and cords, you'll better appreciate such a effective agitation tool that does not weigh 80+ pounds, that can be carried with one hand, and that does not take up too much space in your mini-van.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Myself & another tech cleaned 20k of commercial carpet Thursday. It was 6th-9th floors, I keep wondering how a porty guy would clean it and how long it would take him.

No access for TM you'd need 1000ft of hose to reach it if they would allow you to use stairwell.

We used 2-Cimex's and it took us 5.5 hours. Granted it was only lightly soiled but how much filling and dumping. Even auto fill or pump out you would have been lucky access water or a drain. The facilities were on each end of the floor with hundreds of feet between them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I doubt many but I would hope they wouldn't kill themselves trying to HWE it all.

A 175 or OP would have probaby delivered better results on this CGD than a porty.???

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Granted it was only lightly soiled but how much filling and dumping. Even auto fill or pump out you would have been lucky access water or a drain.
Auto fill/dump in that big of an area will only limit your movement by tethering you to one area, and requiring longer complicated hose runs.

On a job like that, I am the last one that should be filling and dumping, as MY main priority is production, and requires me to keep moving.

The most important role of a helper on job like that is to keep water in my freshy, and my waste tank low so I can maintain a productive pace.

I'm not a happy camper if I have to stop due to an empty/full tank, and my helpers know that.

When they are not doing that, they are prepping the next area and pre-spraying it, again, so I can keep a productive pace.

Realistically, 20,000 sq would likely require too much time by myself and may be a inconvenience to the customer/business, so I would sub part of the job to a buddy in the business who does the same with me on big jobs.

2-2 man teams most likely over several nights, hopefully being able to cheat a little by pad-capping lighter soiled areas.

Far from glamorous, but that's as good as it gets.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I own two Big Trucks and still prefer to grind and run...

Dont be such a cheap dufus....lol

I am well aware of the value of a Cimex, not only due to it's production, but due to the fact that any one of my dumbass helpers can likely safely run it.

No doubt my next big purchase for so many reasons.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Come on Mike,

I think Frank has specialized in high rise residential. There is very little need for a cimex if you are focused on residential. His van is 4 blocks and 5 stories away. How many trips are you going to make back and forth to the truck? I believe Frank gets everything in one trip. He is going to do 1000 feet of carpet. Would a 175 and pads be quicker than the Oreck Orbiter? Not with two 20 minute round trips to the van for the extra trip to get them and take them back.

With remote cleaning you have different criteria as to what is most important.

20,000 feet of Commercial carpet is brutal with a porty. I would wager if Frank had bid against Chavez and the Cimex he would have been triple the price.

Coming off the big trucks with lots of water, lots of tools, and lots of suck you will realize cleaning with a porty is a totally different ball game.

With the equipment you have been using you can do little jobs quickly but where it really shines is on middle size jobs with tile and stone and carpet. You can do it all and it only takes 2 minute to grab another tool.

Like riding a bike 2 miles to work every day and then deciding to go back to "Walking to work." You will still get to work but the effort required will be totally different. You can still make good money but your square foot of cleaning per hour on a big job is not going to compare.

I am really excited to see how you adapt to cleaning with a porty. You have excellent cleaning skills and know how things should turn out. You also have excellent organizing skills. With the big truck and a cimex and a 175 and a crb and very hot water and huge suck you have been able to clean a lot of flooring efficiently and make good money.

It will be fun to see what kind of production you will be able to get with a Caravan, a porty and a crb, no heat and two vac motor suck.

Limited space and limited power will drive you nuts or change your focus.

Chavez says you are nuts for even thinking about doing this....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I have told this story before....My TM broke down on a job...went and rented a little R2D2 looking porty it did have 2 cords but the pump was only putting out a dribble compared to my TM.
The only rooms that were left was a good sized lining room and dining room that I had pre sprayed already, but I scrubbed the heck out of them with my 175 and misted them with the porty and extracted them.....to my surprise they cleaned up well...nobody ever called to complain went back about a week latter to check on it and it was fine looked good I honestly could not tell any different.
I think it falls back on the operator, and really his knowledge or patience to work within the limits of a porty, slower wand strokes to flush properly, and attacking areas that could be a problem as they dry and wick back.
I have never really have had issues with wick back, and I believe it is because I take the time to rinse as much of the problem out so it can dry and not wick.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Willy, Am I seeing 3 electrical cords? 1 for heater 1 for each vacuum? I don't see the buckets? Apo, autofeed not hooked up? How much other gear did you haul in for that job?

Honest questions---no sarcasm..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom