Rotovac cfx ranger and 360i (the ultimate Portable discussion)

Discussion in 'The Hardware' started by Sky, Mar 29, 2017.

By Sky on Mar 29, 2017 at 9:39 PM
  1. Sky
    Sky

Name:
    Sky L.
    I purchased the delux package from rotovac and have recently started using it. I am new to carpet cleaning and am absolutely flustered by the set-up and breakdown time. Some people say it only takes them about twenty minutes to set up their porty where as it took me about 40min to set up the cfx to the faucet run hose to the toilet and begin auto pump out.

Is this set up time normal when first starting or is this simply normal for the rotovac portable package? I do not have the money for a TM so no need to suggest it. Also there are 6 wires needed, where as other portables only have about two to four wires. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Hardware' started by Sky, Mar 29, 2017.

1. SamIam
      SamIam

Supportive Member

Name:
      sam miller
      Dry stroke too
    2. Sky
      Sky

Name:
      Sky L.
      I have the ranger but I try to avoid it by hooking up to faucet. Ranger is very big and cumbersome.
    3. Sky
      Sky

Name:
      Sky L.
      Thanks Willie
    4. Sky
      Sky

Name:
      Sky L.
      If I can be successful with cfx and ranger ill keep it. It just doesn't seem to be the case. Don't see how I can do 3 jobs a day with that set up.
    5. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      Good that you have it. You will run into situations where there is no faucet to hook up to. The rotovac is a powerful tool, especially with the 360i. Get the brush head if you don't already have it. It may be cumbersome but you will become proficient in time. The only issue I have heard with it is if you have a foam problem, it will shoot out the vacuum exhaust. Be careful that you don't use too much detergent. Sometimes less is more.
      Old Coastie and ShortyDownUnder like this.
    6. ShortyDownUnder
      ShortyDownUnder

Name:
      K.O. (Shorty) Glanville
      Sky, the majority of my work is Commercial with a Cimex.

This was a feral house where several cc'ers; told the agent to replace as it would never respond.

Usually, I price myself out of this marketplace.

Most of my day work in residential is upholstery or leather now, so I can't honestly comment on "3 houses per day time" as it's been sometime since I serviced that market.

Back then, I was using a small truck-mount as my favourite option.

IF I was, I would be using a different extraction machine, & most probably, (as others have said), with a CRB, but unsure as to what, because I'm not really interested anymore in that marketplace.

This house was 4 bedrooms + lounge/dining & took less than 3 hours from arrival to go for AU$730.00

Most residential carpets I would use my Sprayborg, but this needed to be agitated & rotary extracted.

Not much help I'm afraid.

:yoda:
    7. Nate The Great
      Nate The Great

Name:
      Nate W.

Why you dragging me into this porty talk... You damn well know it takes me forever to do jobs with my porty or TM... I'm just a slow cleaner...

You'll get faster with time... Connecting to the faucet is probably the hardest part of the whole ordeal... I try to just fill my porty with hot water to start, then run it through my 2 electric heaters... Or just take my #2LGHeater and minus the popping of the circuits...

Don't plug into to same room or wall for that matter.. I rarely pop a circuit, but ask where the circuit panel is before starting the job (it'll save you a good 20minutes looking for it).. figure out which cord has the pump on it and never plug that one into the GFIC plug..

Everything else is redundant with what these old geezers say... Figure out what type of work you want to go after and get busy... Or return the equipment and find a job you won't suck at...:lol:
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    8. GeeeAus
      GeeeAus

Supportive Member

Name:
      Grant Baverstock
      You'll be right if you give yourself time to learn how it all flows. It's not a five minute thing. I am in no way being disrespectful. When you DIY time doesn't matter. But when you sell; while you mustn't ever rush it, you need to move as quick as your tools permit you to. Whatever investment you make, learn it backward, upside down, sideways and inside out. Because it's your business now. You need to command that thing like a BOSS.

A traditional tank porty would be a terrific compliment to your auto setup. Open more doors to more jobs, particularly small one and two roomers and upholstery bookings make more sense this way in general too.

Short hoses are your very best friend. Either go all out with boosters and leave the porty outside like a TM, or have it right on top of your arse like a ******* vacuum cleaner from the Deathstar. Today I did a job with my Nautilus, no vacuum booster and a 5m or 16.4ft of vacuum and solution hose. I filled with customer hot water and used my electric heat. Filled two additional buckets of hot water after the Nautilus was brimming full and I had my pre-spray down. Connect up the RV and go. Carpet was almost dry by the time I packed up and the cab arrived to take me home.

Another way to look at it is by using only what's needed to get what's needed you save time and money. Like @Nate The Great , I'm just a low cleaner. I don't see well, the equipment is almost as big as me. I weigh 72Kg / 158lb the Nautilus weighs 62Kg / 136lb. But in three hours I cleaned a 4 x upholstered microsuede lounge suite with chase that was filthy and a small living room expanse of while wool carpet that as filthy.

4 x $50 Upholstery $200
      1 x Carpeted Area Hot Rotary Extraction $80
      $280

280 - 7% = $260.40

$260.40 / 3 = 86.80 Per Hour

Not bad for a porty in a home with a job thats neither big nor small and you can still make good coin.

So get after your friends and family and use your tools as much as you can until you can set it up by feel, it just flows and feels quite natural. That's how you're going to make money.
      Mark Von*Lay and Desk Jockey like this.
    9. GeeeAus
      GeeeAus

Supportive Member

Name:
      Grant Baverstock
      You still have the hottest arse @Nate The Great . My gosh......
    10. GeeeAus
      GeeeAus

Supportive Member

Name:
      Grant Baverstock
      What about the Rotovac Steam Shark? It's the TM you can have when you can't have a TM. It's maybe a good option in the longer term?

11. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      The beauty of the Rotovac system is it's portability. It's a lot easier to go up and down stairs if you don't have an elevator available. The alternative is to get a high performance portable but these usually weigh a ton and you will struggle getting it up the stairs. In residential settings, you can probably keep the power unit in the kitchen and just add extra vac hose as you need it.
    12. Sky
      Sky

Name:
      Sky L.
      That's true. And the wires wouldn't concern you?
    13. Sky
      Sky

Name:
      Sky L.
      I'm thinking about a EDIC 500psi with heater. Seems like it would be much easier to set up and start cleaning right away.
    14. Sky
      Sky

Name:
      Sky L.
      It seems like everyone has a system they prefer when it comes to these portables. While I dont want to give up on it, I surely dont want to be stuck with machinery that will slow me down. Perhaps ill rent another unit and see how it works. In order to make money I need to move quickly and I don't see myself doing more than two jobs a day with current rotovac/ranger set up.
    15. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      I use both portable and truck mounts. I don' t need to go up stairs with my portable( I use the TM for those jobs). If I had to use only one machine, I would want a portable with 500 psi at 1.5 GPM, dual 3 stage vacs and autofill/dump. Machine would have to be plumbed for 2 inch vac hose so I dont have to haul it up stairs in customer home. Machine has to be designed so that one man can move it up stairs. I use 2 cords to power the machine and 1 more for the heater. Not a problem in suites. There are jobs that are just not suitable for a portable, just as there jobs not suitable for a truck mount. I would not use a portable for houses and it's impossible to use a TM for highrises
    16. Sky
      Sky

Name:
      Sky L.
      At the moment I do not have the funds for a TM so I must either stick with what I have Cfx auto pump out/ranger 1200psi or switch to another extractor like the EDIC which seems to be a lot faster to set up.
    17. Sky
      Sky

Name:
      Sky L.
      Cleanworks, would you use the cfx auto fill/dump as your weapon of choice for a portibale? Would you feel confident in your ability to set up and get in and out quickly for a portible?
    18. Goomer
      Goomer

Name:
      Frank Mendo
      Consider it a blessing your still within the trial period.
      You need to start fresh now that you have some guidance.

There is more to it than just shortening the set-up and break-down time, which I am sure you will eventually do, but it is more about the fundamentals.

Everyone who started out cleaning with a porty and a wand knows damn well they are better cleaners because of it.

A RE has no place in a newbies hands.

The first step is to become proficient with a wand, not a RE, and learn to utilize the cleaning pie.

Another important fundamental to learn when starting out is to be able to gauge how much water you are putting down and how much you are recovering, and it's something that you won't get with an auto-fill-dump-only machine if you lack experience, nonetheless when paired with a RE that the operator has no idea of how it's use can, and should be tuned to the main unit and the conditions.

It's asking for trouble for many reasons.
      Lee Stockwell likes this.
      Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    19. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      Only on large jobs would it be faster than filling a portable with a bucket. I have used autofill/dump in the past and have only had it be productive on jobs over 1000 sqft. I am lucky enough to have designed my own portable (24 gallons) that really increases my productivity on large jobs. I often fill with a hose with a tap connector. It does not go up or down stairs easily but can run 150 ft of 2 inch of vac hose. The downfall of the high performance portables is that they are not always very portable. Smaller machines lack power. The Rotovac cfx is a lot more portable and if I am not mistaken, you should be able to run 75 to 100 feet of vac hose, making it easy to set up in a central location and running enough hose to get the job done. Often in newer buildings or retroffited suites, there is no faucet to hook up to which is why you need the Ranger. Ideally, you would need 2 machines. The Cfx for houses using the autofill/dump and a high performance portable for doing suites. Set up shouldn't take so long. Doing a house, I would bring the hydro-force and wand to the door as I meet the customer. Do your walk through and let the customer know where you are going to set up the equipment and how you plan to clean the carpet. I would set up the equipment in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, which ever is more convenient. Hook up your water supply and pump out, your 2 power cords and run your pressure/vac hoses from your wand/360 from the farthest place in the home back to your equipment. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Prespray the first few areas and start cleaning. Work your way back to your machine. Goomer makes some good points about using a wand and not knowing how much water you are removing when using a pump out. When you use a bucket, you know how many buckets you put in and how many you drained out. Gives you a good idea of your performance. Not all carpets extract the same but if you are putting 2 buckets in and only getting 1 bucket out, you need to change how you extracting, more dry strokes etc. I would hesitate to say exchange the cfx for a high performance portable mainly because you will probably struggle with stairs. You may not need to go up stairs in a house, but many have stairs just to get into the home. Small apt buildings may not have an elevator.
    20. GeeeAus
      GeeeAus

Supportive Member

Name:
      Grant Baverstock
      I agree with your sentiments but not the outcome.

I have used a Rotovac 360i on every carpet for 2 years and would in view of that experience never waste my time with separate agitation and a wand unless the carpet is very, very clean.

I can't replicate with a wand what I get with a rotary extractor.

I think giving up an RE for a disc machine / 175 is silly. The Rotovac can BE a disc machine. It weighs less to cart around for a newbie. And disc machines can't rinse carpets at all and RJE's do it better than any other device save for a claw.

They marry together improving cleaning performance, recovering soil, water and contaminants and chemicals and reducing operator effort and as a result injury.

Why make shit hard for newbies? That's not a good thing.

My advice Keep 360i you will NEVER use water more efficiently on your porty. Once you get onto a tank you want good productivity for water use. You will use more water with a wand on a porty to do less work for you than if you gave that same water to the Rotovac. FACT...

You can use a pissy 2 jet for a clean carpet and do all the hard yards up front, or you can vacuum, spot, spray, Rotovac.

When you are new you're trying to build a name, a reputation. Rotovacs serve to make your job - untouchable - by anybody else if used right. You can leave it clean and it's so good even a TM guy can come after you and get it - no better. That's GOOD for building a good name.

Keep the broadband modem (Rotovac) ditch the dialup (wand).
      Mikey P and Doug Rice like this.
      Last edited: Apr 1, 2017