Sapphire 570 nothing but problems

Name
Jeff
This is our first post on Mikey's. We have had the Sapphire 570 installed for just under 2 years. We have have multiple problems with it. The most recent episode started in Nov of 2013. The unit kept losing pressure and shutting down. I took it to the dealership (Wesclean) in Calgary. The parking lot in front of their main entrance is their "shop" to work on truckmounts. Professional. It has taken numerous visits, and it's going from bad to worse. This issue has not been resolved and it has been 6 months. The last parts sent were sent the slowest and cheapest way possible. Real urgency. That took over a week. Then it took most of the week for the service guy at Wesclean to review what he had to do. Then the appointment. This is almost 3 weeks after the parts were shipped. After being told the 570 was ready, we go yesterday to pick it up. It was neither tested nor ready. Over the past months we have had to regularly try to rebook customers if they are willing or let work pass by, as my unit is so unreliable and it is back at Wesclean service dept. We have been trying to work using our Cimex and O-pad, but this is not ideal for our residential customers. We try to stay positive, but evey day I have tried to use the SS 570, there is a problem of some kind. Now the heat is tracking all over from 140 F to 230 F. The pump out breaker keep tripping, and who knows what else, as it can't be run long enough to actully test for other issues.
There is a severe disconnect in the training and service for this dealership. Between them and Sapphire, they are going to put us out of business.
We were talked into installing this machine as we were told by the previous dealership it was an awesome machine. Awesome warranty, and Steamway was no longer available. We have never had so many down days, lost income, frustrations, and headaches. Sapphire service says that any problems can be fixed. Right, so why are we still dithering with this 6 month old issue. It's going from bad to worse. There is much more to this story but I think you get the gist that we are extremely unhappy with this unit. It looks pretty blue, but is a LEMON!

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
Sounds like you've got a machine with a few issues. Did you buy it new or used? How old, how many hours? Any freeze damage? Sounds like you have a bad mechanic and inept distributor or maybe it's the other way around... Time to learn how to turn a wrench on your own or find someone with the same machine close to you that you can call for help or advice.

I'd talk to SS manufacturing direct, doesn't sound like you're getting any where fast with the local disty.
Good luck,
Bill

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Jeff
Thank you Bill. Appreciate your thoughts. The machine was a demo. It now has 330 hrs on it. This unit is babied unbelievably. Nice cozy heated garage every night. The reason we bought a "new" machine, is that I don't have a lot of time to diddle around with the machine. I am very busy with other pursuits, family, etc. We were way to patient with the local dealer. We were away for 5 weeks, (Feb) which partly explains the lengthy timeline. (between Nov to April) We gave them lots of time to formulate a plan, do some research, as well, we booked another appt prior to our departing to make sure they were ready. To add insult to injury, they want to charge us for time......Not.
I will be seeing if Sapphire with supply parts and cover costs with the old distributor, who has demonstrated a willingness to help. He's 1.75 hrs away though...awesome

F

FB7777

That's a bummer, with only 330 hours in just under 2 years, it doesn't sound like there is any possible way it could be abuse on your end.

I saw the 570 at Mikefest this year, looked like a beast. I beleive your unit has the electronics associated with heat , as opposed to the new units that have a manual diverter.

I wonder if they have made other improvements.

It does sound like your local distributor may not be capable of handling your issues in a timely manner

Do you have other units? Do you do much chem and supply biz with this disty? If this is your only unit, you may be considered a small fish to this guy.

It's not the right attitude to have but just wondering why the delays in repair.

Chris A

Name
Chris
No offense intended, but it seems that the worst thing a slide in truck mount can do is sit, which at 150 hours a year, is what's happening most of the time. I have top wonder if some off your issues stem from lack of use more than anything? Either way I hope it gets resolved, any other sapphire dealers close?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
There's a super helpful guy here who knows a TON about the 570. I'm sure JM is pretty busy like most of us here, but that's who I'd talk to if I had a 570.

The Clean Machine

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I lost all my pressure today and yesterday............this is a on going problem that no one can seem to solve...

Oh sheeeeeeeet....here we go.

Just when I was getting excited over a unit that Jim Martin endorses so much...

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Good to hear this now, hopefully not too many people ran out and bought one of these things based on the rave reviews it's been getting on the boards.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Reactions: BLewis
F

FB7777

Yes, the only thing I find advantageous to the 4.8 Salsa is the space in the back

For a similar price point to the Butler, I don't want aluminum waste tank, a demand pump for water or an inferior grade HX unit

Also love the 210 all day tank which Hydramaster doesn't offer

Hey it's not like I bought one like a former vortex owner only to sell it 9 months later like the resident dopey board dousche bag

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Wait- I'm getting me popcorn!

This thread could go in 5 different directions- each with 6 pages of bs. :lol:

Reactions: Russ T.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If its plumbed the same as the 370 I worked on then the pressure loss is due to the Fins in the heat exchanger. They get clogged and need heavy descaling. It took muratic acid to clean them up. I haven't checked the manual for the 570 but you can pull a line straight off the pump before the exchanger and see if its getting the correct pressure. Ill bet it is. These machines the way they are designed need either ro or soft water. We are only at 116 here and my friend had the problem just short of 500 hrs and he descales with a weak mixture weekly. It wasn't enough.

Gene

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm sure we have all experienced in life, there are some good service centers or distributors and then there are some GREAT service centers and distributors.

If your former distributor is willing to take on the problem and try to help, and you have had a great experience with them in the past, I would be making a trip there ASAP.

I have had mechanical issues on many vehicles, snowmobiles, jet ski's....you name it if it's a machine.... I have probably raced it, modified it and definitely broke it!

It was always a great relief when I was able to find someone who has the skills to figure it out or make the modifications to fix the problem with me.

If your former distributor cannot fix the problem and does not make an effort to work with the factory, I would then contact the factory direct.

I sure hope you have better luck ( and probably with the former distributor) and get this problem resolved.

I had an issue with fuel pumps in a newer van last summer....my dealership was great and bent over backwards to keep me in service with the van (with a Butler unit). At one point they did tell me, if I was comfortable, they sure could use my help by contacting the Van maker with my concerns. With their guidance I did contact customer services and I did get all the problems resolved so THEY could help me.

Best wishes and hope you get this worked out quickly!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It's too bad that this seems to come up on the Board on a Friday, end of the work week. As soon as Sapphire sees this the wheels will get turning quickly!

Probably Monday though.

You're right Lee...BUT, it sounds like the guy was already trying to fix his issues for 2 years and the way it sounds, the most recent issue has been ongoing since November of last year. So that is 5 months or so. I'm sure Sapphire will be more ontheir toes "on monday"... Especially now that their -very much listened to supporter- Jim Martin, says something negative about the same unit.

Reactions: FB7777
F

FB7777

I'm a firm believer that when it comes to my money makers, I want to spend my hard earned cash with companies that have a long track record

Sapphire may well become a leader in the truckmount industry, but if I was going to purchase a slide in tomorrow, I would go with Prochem

Complete hypothetical, cause it ain't never gonna happen :lol:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The older version has a float in the "water box". If you have high incoming water pressure the float can stick.
Get a 40psi pressure regulator and put it on the water fill QD.

That's not it...sometime last year I was pretty sure that I solved this problem.....I was getting really bad back pressure at the end of my hose....so I put a regulator on the hose before it went into the truck.....calm the pressure down before it hit the regulator/pressure valve built into the machine....everything was fine...she ran great...every once in awhile it acted up but it would bring the pressure right back..and I could just go on...annoying..but no bug deal....for some unknown reason..it just started getting worse...Yesterday I had to bring the Thermalwave way across the other side of town because I could not get it to come back while a tile job was being done...All my filters are clean...orifice is clear......there is no blockage any where....I know I have water pressure coming into the machine...for some reason it just all of the sudden won't keep up again....Once it does this...even if............( normally I don't.. but that is another story )......I have the heat off...it will spike and hit 320.....from that point on I am in total cavitation and things are getting pretty dangerious and someone is going to get hurt........

I can tell you what I think it is.....I think it is the inlet pressure valve....It is only supposed to allow a certain PSI into the water box...it is the first thing the water hits coming into the machine...there is a pressure cap on the water box....if it gets to much it will pop the over flow....I don't think that this thing is letting in enough water for the machine to keep up....that's why my hose back pressured so bad.........

Replace the pressure valve with one that may allow more flow into the machine.........you will probably keep popping the pressure cap......(?)
I talked with a guy today......(same machine as mine )....that runs off fresh water tanks that feed his water box..he does not feed threw that pressure valve and has never had a issue...

j81dtf.jpg

This is a great machine and I still stand by it....I would buy another one with out hesitation..still the best slide in out there.......This is the worst I have seen it....It is my understanding that the new ones do not do this but I can't honestly say if this is true or not....It has a little hic up that really needs figured out before someone gets hurt.....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I just talked with Rick from Sapphire...he is pretty sure that he knows what it is...and is going to get me a part out on Monday.........
should be a simple fix.......stay tuned..........

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I just talked with Rick from Sapphire...he is pretty sure that he knows what it is...and is going to get me a part out on Monday.........
should be a simple fix.......stay tuned..........

Since it's an intermittent problem, how long are you going to run it before you pronounce the issue resolved?

Did you mention Jeff's issues to Sapphire?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom