Shear dry

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Copied but improved isn't treated the same as copied and cheapened.

It's seems they are those manufacturers that look at those tools that are desired and copy them with their only goal of making them cheaper.

Cheaper is good when equal quality. Cheaper is actual less value when the copied tool is not built as well or functions as well as the original tool.

Yes I agree an upholstery tool is designed to maintain contact with the fabric. The problem is that upholstery is not flat and square. Upholstery has many curves and edges that you will find difficult in maintaining contact.

I spent 10 years exclusively cleaning upholstery and have gone through many tools before during and since that time. I have favorites and others that get used infrequently.

If you can't correct the overspray issue then admit the negative. Trite comments about maintainingcontact are only dodging the real concern.

The great thing about being an independent businessman is we are not forced to buy what a franchise says we must. We can chose the tools we like from personal experience.

For someone considering the purchase of an upholstery tool, I would say try those you are considering. Then compare.

Reactions: Mikey P

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Does the HK clog with hair or fiber like the SS tool and require it to be dismantled to unplug?

Would like a side by side video comparing the two and telling of their faults honestly without bias.

Have you ever used a Phillips screw driver????

Well the SS has four screws.

I know that’s a lot

But I order to get at Mike beard we need to undo the 4 screws.

Once that’s done you pull the rat out of the wand and put the the two pieces back together and put the four screws back in.

I need to go do this to mine it’s proably got a small creature living inside of it.

mmarkovic

Mike, I tried to be clear that innovation is purely out of the innate drive to improve, make life better not having or showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge. Vindictive?

Steve, The photos were of all the knock-offs that followed mine. I saw the prochem tool (cast aluminum blue with wheels) as a good idea that needed big time practical improvements.

The Shear Dry has three screws for cleanout from the face. And two more to get to a deep clog at the valve. Since I use mine a lot for carpet edging and stairs it picks up more than it would if I just used it for upholstery.

Attachments

• PICT0364.JPG
    PICT0364.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:

mmarkovic

I keep hearing in some reviews posted including videos where the term "looks cheap" keeps showing up. As opposed to built like a tank, having lots of costly metal and additional weight? One of the reasons I so gladly adapted to the Rotovac XL and i after using the RX-20 for 25 years, was that they were easier to use and move through a job. weighing less and had better maneuverability on the carpet without the hazard of flying metal shoes that attack furniture etc.
If the economy of engineering brings a benefit then bring it on. If that economy brings improvements like an adjustable handle for easy use and storage bring it on.
I love how I can shorten the handles to get into a smaller closet or tight spots next to furniture.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Have you ever used a Phillips screw driver????

Well the SS has four screws.

I know that’s a lot

But I order to get at Mike beard we need to undo the 4 screws.

Once that’s done you pull the rat out of the wand and put the the two pieces back together and put the four screws back in.

I need to go do this to mine it’s proably got a small creature living inside of it.
Kleenrites were even worse to dismantle. Usually because by the time you realize that it was clogged, the screws were seized.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I like the sheer dry and in my opinion it has some advantages over the SS tool.

However, the fact that it sprays once you are off the fabric is a big disadvantage. No matter how cleverly you word it. Not sure if it was done to avoid patent infringement or a design decision and it does not matter to me. It is a flaw when compared with the SS. It always boils down to which tool comes out of the van, which is the true feedback about the tool.

If I clean solely upholstery or concerned about over spray or just want the convenience, it is the SS that comes out. If that's not a concern The SD comes out. I am not sure if that (no over spray) can be accomplished but if it could, you'll have a much better tool. Most of us pre-spray and agitate the fabric, not sure if an agitation bar is needed, be interesting to see on more delicate fabric.

Given, the SS also sprays out though it is more manageable , unless you substantially reduce the pressure and flow. However, frequently it will necessitate extra passes , as we usually clean upholstery when it's way over due and need heavy duty flushing.

mmarkovic

Has anyone used the 360 i to do stairs? It kicks butt on fluffing nap pack down.

At first, I took off the shroud and used the 12" head with some overspray onto the step below which I extract next as I progress from top of staris. I purchased the 9" stair head, lower the handle to near flat and cruise across the steps without any overspray. Love it! Thinking about taking off the wheels since they get in the way of stairs but I may want to put the regular head back on for regular cleaning.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I like the sheer dry and in my opinion it has some advantages over the SS tool (you read my post).

However, the fact that it sprays once you are off the fabric is a big disadvantage. No matter how cleverly you word it. Not sure if it was done to avoid patent infringement or a design decision and it does not matter to me. It is a flaw when compared with the SS. It always boils down to which tool comes out of the van, which is the true feedback about the tool.

If I clean solely upholstery or concerned about over spray or just want the convenience, it is the SS that comes out. If that's not a concern The SD comes out. I am not sure if that (no over spray) can be accomplished but if it could, you'll have a much better tool. Most of us pre-spray and agitate the fabric, not sure if an agitation bar is needed, be interesting to see on more delicate fabric.

Given, the SS also sprays out though it is more manageable , unless you substantially reduce the pressure and flow. However, frequently it will necessitate extra passes , as we usually clean upholstery when it's way over due and need heavy duty flushing.
I don't think there is one tool that does everything. I love the reverse spray on the SD for cleaning blinds because I feel I need more flushing power. On upholstery, you have to be aware of it as you come to the edge of a cushion. It's more difficult to clean piping with it. This is where the Pmf excels. The vacuum lips fits right over most piping and the enclosed jet flushes well. I can't imagine only bringing just one upholstery tool to the job.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I like my 360i

I Like my sheardry

I bought them so I must like them.

The reason I state your tool has more bite on the fabric is a warning to a less experienced cleaner who might want to be carful on delicates.

If they’re less experience they should stay away probably from cleaning delicates.

I know you can adjust the water pressure on the shear dry so over spray is easily corrected and really a non issue.

And there is a vac relief to adjust the lift at the tool.

But if your cleaning a microfiber with your tool

The water tends to splash out on the edges, extra dry strokes ect ect. Then again adjust flow to help there.

It does clean well.

Mark Saiger uses it a lot and likes it to.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Mighty Rico, How else can a 61 year old stay as buff as you. :winky:
LOL You can say fat. Too much time holding desk down. :redface:

I sometimes hear other say they do too. It (any upholstery tool) just doesn't provide enough flushing power to do a great job.

Maybe worse is at 3 inches wide it's not very efficient. You (and others that use upholstery tools) are taking longer with a small tool than a stair tool would. Switch to a tool designed for the application and it will clean better and be more productive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I agree with Richard. Using an upholstery tool on stairs is counterproductive. There are so many good stair tools out there. The only exception I would say is if you have to detail the risers. I sometimes will use a 4.5 inch Pmf for that. Time is money.

Reactions: SamIam and Nomad74
Name
Nate W.
Has anyone used the 360 i to do stairs? It kicks butt on fluffing nap pack down.

At first, I took off the shroud and used the 12" head with some overspray onto the step below which I extract next as I progress from top of staris. I purchased the 9" stair head, lower the handle to near flat and cruise across the steps without any overspray. Love it! Thinking about taking off the wheels since they get in the way of stairs but I may want to put the regular head back on for regular cleaning.

I use my 360i on stairs with the smaller head... It does work very well on residential carpets... I used it on commercial carpet over pad on stairs and fooked it up.. The heat combined with metal bottom made swirl marks that heat-set it... I'd suggest turning down heat on stairs in general, especially on level loop carpets...

I could have sworn I seen a StairPro in the back of your van when I rode with you to the RMHC? I do agree the wheels get in the way...

Reactions: mmarkovic

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I don’t understand how you monkeys over spray using the SD. Quit pulling the trigger before you let off the fabric. Duh.
It’s light, flushes well and the trigger is smooth.

Did you know you can dial it down with that little knob called the flow adjuster? Stunning what you can learn from this knock off bulletin board. Oh wait, there is also knock off shoes, Niki, adidas, new balance, Chevy, Ford....the list goes on and on.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It shouldn't be an issue at all. You should be able to look directly at it with no eye protection. It is supposed to be an internal spray cleaning tool. :icon_rolleyes:

If you must copy (some people have no original ideas) then make it better. Too big a focus on cheap. :errf:

mmarkovic

Desk jockey, You're right so I use my 360 i with a 9" head on the runs and shear dry on the risers. The Phoenix market is not known for 2 stories or basements perhaps 26% so stairs I charge triple rate per square foot.

Nate, That was the 360i conversion that I use for stairs. Remember I just turned 61 and love to let the machine do most of the work.

Turning down the heat is important but I've never had the kind of heat that the Butler was kicking out at the Scotsdale clean off.

Desk Jockey, Cheap can mean less expensive or it can mean of poor materials and poor workmanship. Terms like "looks cheap" is a shallow way of criticizing something with no claims or arguments about performance or issues with durability / failure etc.

We'd all still be living in the 18th century if your neighbor didn't copy your good idea and make it better. That is what spurs innovation. There are very few original ideas just massive improvements that keep rolling forward from simpler original ideas. The stick drug through the farmer's field had slowly morphed into monster gang plows pulled by mega 16 wheel tractors.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It looks good. It has spray issues for an internal spray tool. It has has an cheap (inferior quality) valve and valve handle. Maybe nothing can be done about the overspray but the valve could/should be upgraded.

Value doesn't mean cheap, it rarely does.

In my 40 years in the cleaning industry I've always been better served buying the best. Not the cheapest. In fact most of my regrets were when I thought I was getting a good deal on a "it's as good as" item.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I don't think there is one tool that does everything. I love the reverse spray on the SD for cleaning blinds because I feel I need more flushing power. On upholstery, you have to be aware of it as you come to the edge of a cushion. It's more difficult to clean piping with it. This is where the Pmf excels. The vacuum lips fits right over most piping and the enclosed jet flushes well. I can't imagine only bringing just one upholstery tool to the job.
You are right Ron, it's just that most of the time I am not willing to bring in a bunch of different tools. Though I always have a bunch of upholstery tools in the van. So usually one tries to make the most with the tool you find most convenient and that does the job well. And you compensate for it's shortcomings. How else would you explain people using that wrist breaker called HydroKinetic :winky:

Ron, I agree that the PMF (used it as my main tool for ages) is the best detail tool, it just that the delivery of water is uneven compared to the other tools and it does leave more marks on fabric with nap direction.

Richard, the trigger on the SS tool is as cheap as they come, including the little plastic cap that comes off and they didn't even bother to glue it on. Still a great tool. Cheap bus-turds, for that price they could have sprung for something a little better that does not bend and does not have an exposed sharp end.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam
Back
Top Bottom