Starting the Encap division of my company Edit: "Padcapping"

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I haven't purchased the equipment yet and I'm nowhere near ready to start cleaning houses but I've got to get my marketing started.
I've built and published a website for the encap division.
It's not finished and it may not even be accurate yet but I need to have the work waiting for me so it needed to go out into the internet world somewhat prematurely.

If I get some jobs from it quickly, I will try to push them back on the cleaning or sub it out to another company that I know in the area that does the same type of cleaning....no they don't use the Orbot so it might not be a great idea. Ivebeensold

And the review is semi fake. It's from the wife of a friend of mine in that area who has had my company clean for them...but it was steam cleaning. I'll probably catch hell for that.

Anyway, here's the website....let me know what you think.

Priority

[iframe:1bggn65i]http://www.carpetcleaning972.com[/iframe:1bggn65i]

Once I get my poop in a group, this will be a good thing.

Time is a huge factor for website placement on the search engines...so that's the reason for putting this out so soon.
Wish me luck. !gotcha!

Mikey P

Administrator
Re: Starting the Encap division of my company

Our Cleaning Process uses less
water, Less heat and still gets your
carpet completely clean
. PLUS your
carpets will stay clean longer because
we apply a carpet protectant during
the cleaning process. Vacuuming will
become more productive and your
carpet will last longer because of it.

lordy.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

The green police are onto people using high residue cleaning in homes, particularly those products that have "bio-accumulatives" like Teflon in them.

I got a call last week from the Washington Toxics Coalition asking if we ever used this method in people's homes.

Just an FYI.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

The Great Oz said:
The green police are onto people using high residue cleaning in homes, particularly those products that have "bio-accumulatives" like Teflon in them.

I got a call last week from the Washington Toxics Coalition asking if we ever used this method in people's homes.

Just an FYI.

Teflon is a bad thing?

Todd Anthony

looks good but what are you going to do about the tip blooming With that OP machine ? I would go with a whittaker machine and do something similar to what oxi-fre$h is doing. Dry organic compound. I still can't see how you could get a trashed carpet clean with out HWE.

Ryan

Brian R said:
[quote="The Great Oz":2ta3a66z]The green police are onto people using high residue cleaning in homes, particularly those products that have "bio-accumulatives" like Teflon in them.

Just an FYI.

Teflon is a bad thing?[/quote:2ta3a66z]

Um yeah. Unless you enjoy cancer.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Todd Anthony said:
looks good but what are you going to do about the tip blooming With that OP machine ? I would go with a whittaker machine and do something similar to what oxi-fre$h is doing. Dry organic compound. I still can't see how you could get a trashed carpet clean with out HWE.

Does that happen a lot?

Ryan

Ok never mind. It just looks like its Teflon cookware. When you heat it up it gets scary. Cancer and thyroid problems.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

A lot of the scare stories about Teflon were cooked up to blackmail (greenmail) DuPont into giving in on unionizing, but lots of people have Teflon in their bodies. Most likely it got there from coatings on food packaging, but it has made the list of products that indoor environmentalists are wary of.

The main point is that they know enough about cleaning to be critical of residential encap use. I'd guess if they took the time to embark on a calling campaign this has come to the top of someone's list, and they're not impressed with phony green certifications that many cleaning products carry. (Greenwashing)

Willy P

Name
Willy P

We also offer more powerful protectants that can be applied after the cleaning for extra safety
against spilled drinks, pet urine stains and other permanent staining mishaps.

After encap? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: That's just WRONG so many ways.

Some
carpet mills estimate that up to 4% of detergent used is left in the carpet following steam cleaning. Any new dirt coming into contact with the carpet, such as
dirt from shoes in normal foot traffic, will be attracted to the sticky detergent residue left on the carpet.

Use a powder rinse. Duh.

our policy is God first, family second and
career third.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He cleaned a living room, dining room, hallway,
master bedroom and guest bedroom in one hour, from start to finish.

Brian and a helper came cleaned all the carpets for our 3000 sq. ft. house, including all 5 bedrooms, living/dining area, family room,
hallways (2x downstairs & upstairs), and all the stairs for us before we moved into our house. They were very fast. It took them about
little over an hour of time.

I wouldn't say I cleaned that fast for a big area as described. Alarm bells for custys.

Walt

I'd focus on the segment of the market was concerned about carpets being overly wet. Even though it's less of a problem then it used to be it still is a common perception.

Perhaps mention that it's better for the environment because you use less water and fuel.

Personally I'd have to be completely confident of this method before I walked in to ampaying customers house.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Willy P said:
We also offer more powerful protectants that can be applied after the cleaning for extra safety
against spilled drinks, pet urine stains and other permanent staining mishaps.

After encap? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: That's just WRONG so many ways.
I believe you can apply scotchgard after encaping. Is that wrong?
Some
carpet mills estimate that up to 4% of detergent used is left in the carpet following steam cleaning. Any new dirt coming into contact with the carpet, such as
dirt from shoes in normal foot traffic, will be attracted to the sticky detergent residue left on the carpet.

Use a powder rinse. Duh.
It's just a stat...it doesn't include the guys who know better.

career third.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Problem with that?

He cleaned a living room, dining room, hallway,
master bedroom and guest bedroom in one hour, from start to finish.

Brian and a helper came cleaned all the carpets for our 3000 sq. ft. house, including all 5 bedrooms, living/dining area, family room,
hallways (2x downstairs & upstairs), and all the stairs for us before we moved into our house. They were very fast. It took them about
little over an hour of time.

I wouldn't say I cleaned that fast for a big area as described. Alarm bells for custys.

I can't edit testimonials....it's just not cool. But they were wrong about that time frame. I almost want to put some responses just for that and other things. I could exclude it all together I guess.

Thanks for your help

Willy P

Name
Willy P

Wouldn't the fluorochemical break off and vacuum up with the encap polymers? I see contradiction there.

career third

Never sell religion is my motto. You're alienating segments of society( And I've seen your posts blowme )

Don't edit them, but be more picky with testimonials.

and HEY! I was just sayin'....

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Lol.
I'm in the bible belt...it will probably be ok.

I'll have to ask the experts about the protectants.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey

To be honest............ The site looks like crap...... And you can barely get yours subs to steam clean carpet the rigth way.... Don't introduce this to them, they will get confused.. :)

hahaha

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Naahh. The site looks nice....remember it's still for the female homeowner. !gotcha!
Of course, it could probably use some work like any other site. I built it in all of about a few hours....but I knew what I wanted before I started.

I wouldn't introduce this to my Techs, I would find others that are already schooled in the fine art of OPing.

Or find guys that have never cleaned and train them on it...."hire the smile not the talent" kind of thing.

We'll see. Thanks for the help.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen

Am I missing something here, Brian? Or isn't the industry consensus that encapsulation is a fantastic "cosmetic appearance" cleaning system for commercial carpets and commercial soiling and that extraction cleaning is usually more appropriate for the higher pile and greater soil level in residential?

So Brain, wouldn't you be better served to focus on improving and/or expanding your existing sub-contractor network? Or are you just bored????

With all the respect in the world it needed to be asked.

Steve
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS The SFS team LOVES encapping for the commercial sector.

http://sfs.jondon.com/6994/resources/sp ... tes-part-1

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Steve Toburen said:
Am I missing something here, Brian? Or isn't the industry consensus that encapsulation is a fantastic "cosmetic appearance" cleaning system for commercial carpets and commercial soiling and that extraction cleaning is usually more appropriate for the higher pile and greater soil level in residential?

So Brain, wouldn't you be better served to focus on improving and/or expanding your existing sub-contractor network? Or are you just bored???? :mrgreen:

With all the respect in the world it needed to be asked.

Steve
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS The SFS team LOVES encapping for the commercial sector.

http://sfs.jondon.com/6994/resources/sp ... tes-part-1

I'm just starting up this part of the company and decided to do some of the work myself at first. I will market to residential on the internet and strictly sell to commercial in person.
I can clean a carpet with this method if I Ron Werner it first and last.
I'll keep you updated.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny

Same old VLM scare tactics and lies (over-wetting, mold, gentle on fibers) and ommissions (VLM hardly rinses). Impossible to honestly represent an inferior system as superior.

Why not go HWE or HWE and VLM for the very rare occasion when VLM is more appropriate?

I've spent many years and lots of money trying to get VLM to equal the performance of HWE. Doesn't come close for me. What am I doing wrong?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

I've spent my entire life comparing both methods and there are things that can be done wrong by both to cause problems in the home. I think there are more concerns with HWE than VLM in in the safety dept.
Yes, leaving your carpet wet for too long will cause odor issues and possibly mold...not every HWEer will have that problem...in fact most guys here probably won't and will take offense to it.
But we know the splash and dash guys leave tons of water, plenty of residue and pissed customers.
Hell I know of some VLM guys who left the carpet wet for days.

I've cleaned up after them with both HWE and VLM. I've had guys work for me overwet and not care.....they don't work for me anymore.
Both methods are good....as I've always said, it's the guy operating...not the system.

I will be doing HWE and VLM.
The separate website is for the homeowner who doesn't want anything to do with Steam and would like an alternative.

I suppose I could not omit the down points of VLM...but that would be bad marketing.

That would be like Nike saying "our shoes don't last forever" or something like that.

What bad points of YOUR company are you "omitting"?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny

Brian R said:
What bad points of YOUR company are you "omitting"?

IF I advertised (never have) and were to disclose the bad points of my company, the one that stands out is that we usually take longer to do a job because I am probably more detail-oriented / anal (besides Werner at vaccing), than most cleaners.

Not the most profitable business model, but it's not all about the money to me, and I usually keep busy with repeats and referrals.

Looks good Brian.

Are you going to sub the jobs out, do the jobs yourself, or have real employees?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

I'll be doing the jobs myself at first. Been looking forward to it.
Once I build it up I will look into sub or employees.
Thanks Daniel

Did I mention that I get to buy a new truck?? shiteatinggrin

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Walt said:
I'd focus on the segment of the market was concerned about carpets being overly wet. Even though it's less of a problem then it used to be it still is a common perception.

Perhaps mention that it's better for the environment because you use less water and fuel.

Personally I'd have to be completely confident of this method before I walked in to ampaying customers house.

I missed this one.
Good point. I'll post some bullets about that.

I've got the basics down pretty well, all things considered.
I'm just trying to get a feel for what product to use.
I don't mind spending the money....I just want the best possible cleaning solution (or combo) out there.

I know these can change over a period of time so it's always good to stay up to date on them.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin

I continue to wonder over this encap thing... Aside from not actually rinsing all the acummulative crap from the carpet, therefore not removing much soil, you leave behind a product whose main benefit is that it becomes forms crystals, becomes brittle, and breaks away from the fiber - supposedly to carry away the soil that you never got rid of in the first place.

So how do these little crystals distinguish a vacuum from little Johnnys lungs - like when he's crawling around on the floor and breathing in these little brittle pieces of magical polymer? What do you say, they are harmless to the little ones? Bull.

I have this nagging fear that the encap process is going to be a indoor air quality issue/disaster that will emerge after a few years. It doesn't make sense to add and leave behind a polymer that is designed to become a microscopic, airborne contaminant iin a person's home.

In fact, it seems quite irresponsible.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Wow! That's one way to look at it Chris.
The protectants etc that the manufacturer puts on the carpet could have the same arguement.
The dirt and other particulates that are there to begin with with have the same issues.

They should be able to be vacuumed out.

The polymers just make the sticky dirt do the same thing as the dry dirt.
Valid point but I don't think it's as bad as you are saying.

I know that if you padcap or at least postpad that you can remove a good amount of the dirt. If you change your pads often, you can remove more.

There are two things I've learned about carpet and carpet cleaning that stand out more than anything else I've learned as far as situations are concerned.

1. Carpet isn't that "deep". You can spread the fibers with your hands and find the bottom...if it's in the pad NOTHING will bring it all out unless you replace it.

2. Every cleaning known to man does not get the carpet perfectly clean...nor would it stay that way for more than an hour if it did.

A carpet can only get so clean and I don't think the appearance of clean is too far off from that. When you're done cleaning and can spread the fibers and not see dirt....you job is done unless you start disengaging carpet and pad.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin

Brian R said:
Wow! That's one way to look at it Chris.
The protectants etc that the manufacturer puts on the carpet could have the same arguement.
The dirt and other particulates that are there to begin with with have the same issues.

These things are on the carpet BEFORE you get there. I am talking about the liability of adding a foreign substance that may be a health hazard to the occupants. Instead of improving a situation, you are introducing a health hazard to the home...

They should be able to be vacuumed out.

Manufacturer's "protectant" or are you referring to built in stain-resistance?... either way, should not be able to be vacuumed our or become airborne as easily as encap crystals.

The polymers just make the sticky dirt do the same thing as the dry dirt.
Valid point but I don't think it's as bad as you are saying.

How do you know what effects these polymers have on the air quality or carpet after time? It is logical to think that if they become airborne and are inhaled, it's not a good thing.

I know that if you padcap or at least postpad that you can remove a good amount of the dirt. If you change your pads often, you can remove more.

Oh, come on... you are an intelligent person. A damp rag rubbed across a carpet can't even be compared to the flushing action of HWE.

There are two things I've learned about carpet and carpet cleaning that stand out more than anything else I've learned as far as situations are concerned.

1. Carpet isn't that "deep". You can spread the fibers with your hands and find the bottom...if it's in the pad NOTHING will bring it all out unless you replace it.

A pad barely skims the top and is limited by the ability of the pad material to absorb liquified soil. Even if you manage to penetrate further into the fiber of the carpet, unless your pad contacts and absorbs this liquified soil, it shall remain.

2. Every cleaning known to man does not get the carpet perfectly clean...nor would it stay that way for more than an hour if it did.

But HWE is the most effective and efficient method to remove soil.

A carpet can only get so clean and I don't think the appearance of clean is too far off from that. When you're done cleaning and can spread the fibers and not see dirt....you job is done unless you start disengaging carpet and pad.

Again, I think you are too smart for this statement... optical brighteners abound that can make a completely nasty carpet look acceptable by reflecting light, not by any true cleaning ability.

One last thing you pretentious ass.... owning a buffer and jug of chemicals shouldn't be called a "division" of your company......

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Did I mention that I get to buy a new truck??!!! shiteatinggrin

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

I got to thinking about Chris' statement.

Doesn't every cleaning process leave something behind in the carpet? You will never get it to completely evaporate or be able to extract it all.

Some guys leave some pretty dangerous stuff behind. HWE and VLM alike.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

You haven't even started doing residential encap work yet and you're trying to make the case that everyone leaves "something" behind that "could be dangerous."

Wink, wink.

If you have to fool yourself to build momentum for fooling your customers, great. Just don't expect respect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom