Tell the truth about your Truckmounts..

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We like the Butler because of the dependability of the product and accessibility of the components. It's also been a great truck mount for our multi-truck operation as it's very simple to operate. We like it so much it has been our only truck-mount since the late 1980's.

This thread reminded me that I have to get our 2015 order to Butler right now.

And FYI, I have a few older reconditioned Butlers for sale.

Reactions: Russ T. and Mikey P

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Didn't hate any hard to say used machine with 5000 hours wasnt bad just used prochem 150, liked my steamgenie sizzler sgs36, prochem legend for the year I had it was solid both the steam genie and legend are still on the road , one 20 years old the other 12, but the 405 I'm selling today with 9500 hours was the best purchase so far!

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Best machine 99 vortex ( yes 99, the other two 2000 models have a couple of small issues) still own it and runs great!

Also my Cobb unit never let us down the first few years and would just run and run.

Worst machine was an amtex unit from Houston. Easily the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned personal or business wise. In a he end I have it to a buddy as he needed a couple of the components!

Bjorn

Bane still wish I had one
any machine I make
started off with a pro chem 150 great machine

worst

hydramaster cds tons of small pia problems never knew when if was going to run or not, some times it would start up while driving. When it worked nice machine just too may issues

Reactions: Keith Russell

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
First machine was a 95 Butler. still own and drive today.

Second machine was a Pro 1200 with Vulcan heat in a NPR box truck. Machine was good after few issues were resolved after install. Truck is now gone. I am selling the machine if anyone is interested.

Pro 1200 with Vulcan, complete 99-04 NPR/NQR shaft kit, 150 fresh and waste tanks, two live solution reels (one set up with garden hose), 300 foot electric and live hose reel.

Message me if interested

Name
jack zerkie
White magic Pro 1700 slide in water cooled motor . The motor was junk from the first day and no dealer in my area.The next was Hydramaster 470 D . The unit would not run the the Fl. heat. They did send another unit and ran for a while.The unit would just stop. I found the problem was vapor lock and I fixed it and sold it.I now have a base Cobb bare bones unit this the 5th year and NO down time simple and easy. jz.

Reactions: Larry Cobb
Name
Steve Lawrence
Worst was Prochem 150--replace or rebuild water pump every year. Wimpy #3 blower. Unreliable heater. Small waste tank. Stinky. Actually maybe our worst unit was a JKSales that used a Hotsy pressure washer for the solution, a 55 gallon drum for a waste tank, LOL. Not bad for $4k. Sold it pretty quick.

Prochem Bruin had good heat and great suck but small waste tank. Not a bad unit.

Power Clean was okay but waste tank would shut off after 45 gallons in a 90 gallon tank. Loved it for pressure washing.

The Ballweber was fun with a #5 blower but did not like heat exchanger issues and aluminum tanks.

The Butlers have been the best. Great heat. Dependable. Easy to work on. All day waste tanks. Wish they had #5 blowers.

Reactions: Dan

Chris A

Name
Chris
Best - hydramaster cds 4.8 with salsa, 6 years old 4300 hours. Have replaced both coolant hxrs and rebuilt the entire chem system about a dozen times but otherwise reliable.

Worst - hydramaster Boxxer 421. I will say it started and ran every time I used it, which wasn't very much, and it had great heat and vacuum, but air cooled motors suck...

I have a white magic 1200 that would probably be my favorite if I didn't buy it when it was already 11 years old.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I have a white magic 1200 that would probably be my favorite if I didn't buy it when it was already 11 years old.

Chris, I was wondering how that 03 Pro1200 was working for you. My 03 is working perfect still, I use it all the time in the winter when the temperature is too cold to shut my van off and use the porty. 10K hours on this Pro1200, the one sitting by my garage has 22K hours on it and wants to be installed in a new van and be back on the job. That may happen or I may just scrap it. 32000 hours on those two Pro1200s with very little repairs needed. I had a Steam Genie PTO I put about 4000 hours on as backup to the old Pro1200 but it was nowhere near as powerful or reliable as the WM.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Chris, I was wondering how that 03 Pro1200 was working for you. My 03 is working perfect still, I use it all the time in the winter when the temperature is too cold to shut my van off and use the porty. 10K hours on this Pro1200, the one sitting by my garage has 22K hours on it and wants to be installed in a new van and be back on the job. That may happen or I may just scrap it. 32000 hours on those two Pro1200s with very little repairs needed. I had a Steam Genie PTO I put about 4000 hours on as backup to the old Pro1200 but it was nowhere near as powerful or reliable as the WM.
It's a great truck. I don't use it much but I have put about 200 hours on it since I bought it in March with no issues

Reactions: Art Kelley

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
My first and only truck mount is the Prochem Peak. Purchased it in 2005 from Michigan Maintenance Supply, currently at 5900 hours and runs strong just like the day I bought it.

All on the same engine? The peak is air cooled, right?

Best - SS370

It's our first TM, still own it. The only one I've had.

Worst - SS370, I jumped on really early. My model number was like 400th made, apparently the have corrected some of the issues. Great for the new guys, doesn't help us early birds much. Just seems like random things have issues on it. Mine also is a battery eater, after three of them I got smart and bought a rechargeable battery(deep cycle).

Even with all the issues, it does everything we need very well. Plenty of suck & high temps. Coming from a portable I'd be happy with ANY tm!

Reactions: kingjoelking

tubad sosad

Name
joe mama
some day i hope to get a good used at or a new one. they got a bigger blower on them now. time for dual zippering......dual wand is so last year

Able 1

Name
Keith

Best - SS370

Worst - SS370, I jumped on really early. My model number was like 400th made, apparently the have corrected some of the issues. Great for the new guys, doesn't help us early birds much. Just seems like random things have issues on it. Mine also is a battery eater, after three of them I got smart and bought a rechargeable battery(deep cycle).

Even with all the issues, it does everything we need very well. Plenty of suck & high temps. Coming from a portable I'd be happy with ANY tm!
Liquid cooled 24 horse Kohler.. It kind of weird that when you look them up there is a advertised range of 24-26 HP, But it is a 24 horse..

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
My Vortex made by Aerotech has been the most reliable and best machine I've ever had... Sadly I don't use it much because of parking issues in SF and too difficult to get the portable out when I need it.
I should sell it but I feel like I'm giving up my child for adoption!
Due to issues here in SF I cant decide if I should "go Big"- which means move the Vortex to a new chassis so I can keep it here is SF/California-- OR
Just Sell it and "go Small"-- which means have a smaller car/van which only handles portable jobs to service all the hise-rise buildings going up!?
$3500/month for a studio apartment--WTF!!!

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning

Best - SS370

Yes hours all on the same engine. It is water cooled. I would never buy an air cooled engine.

Reactions: JS41035

John Olson

Name
John Olson
From this side here are my all time worst in no particular order
Steam Way 9100
Boxxer 427
Powerclean Victory
Revenger 210
Amtex

Best based on history and and my personal opinion and in order. My dislike of clutch drives as a whole when all the pros and cons are added up does reflect in this list
Prochem 405 -do I need to say anything about why?
Prochem Peak-Change the oil and follow the service manual and it will just flat our run and run and run hands down the least worked on machine we have ever seen.
Prochem Everest 650 Takes a beating day in day out and asks for more
OG Blueline Thermal Wave with Nissan
Powerclean Freedom 47 Every single one WE ever sold is still running today and zero major issues
So far the SS 570 has proven to be rock solid but still a "new" machine when compared to the history of others(10+ years)
Butlers-Only down side is proprietary parts oh and engines and tranny's :)
Hydramaster 4.7/4.8 (when installed correctly)

I do not list the aerotech or vortex because I could put them both in both lists. The cost to run either of them based on ROI has never ever made any sense to me. The numbers flat out do not add up when compared to ANY of the other machines on list.

Oh and this list doesn't take into consideration the GOOD machines out their like the 370SS or the Legend and Blazer or the pro 1200 or Steam way 4100 or Powermatic/Legacy etc which are great machines in their own rights

Last edited:

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
My favorites so far my 99' Vortex 777, and then the Powerclean 59 I bought from Olson, and proceeded to rip all the unnecessary crap from, and speed the blower up from 420 CFM to 650ish Cfm.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

Years from now John, you will you will revise your rating of the Pro1200 from the secondary designation when you realize they don't even need so much as a belt change for years at a time and thousands of hours of hard use even by minimally trained employees. The engine and transmission problems you mention are nonexistent on modern GM vans.

Reactions: SamIam

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I hear you Art :) we don't have ANY here that I know of so I cant really offer an opinion except based on others. The ones I posted are ones we see and sell or have sold on a regular basis.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes I think it all has to do with the install. When done correctly should be smooth as butter.

Back in the day when Butler sold though distributors we bought a Butler from Advantage Marketing/Bob Bonwell and later we bought a private label Butler from Promaster.

The Promaster unit had belt issues the whole time we owned it. Every month or so it would throw a set of belts serpentine belts. The Advantage unit didn't do it the whole time we owned it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom