Testing the Hoss 700....

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Greenie let me borrow one today. I have stone work for the next few days but will report after I have some time with it.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Any more updates on this?

Jim, did you buy one - using it?

I am going to demo one on 16K sq ft of commercial carpet tiles tonight. One RX and the Hoss - dual wanding. The RX got clogged repeatedly yesterday pulling hair out from under the partition bottoms. I am a bit concerned with the Hoss getting clogged repeatedly. Will be running the 52 orafice to start at 500 psi.

Hopefully will try to take time to put all three in and see for any differences.

Any tips before I get started in a couple of hours?

Thanks.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
boazcan said:
Any more updates on this?

Jim, did you buy one - using it?

I am going to demo one on 16K sq ft of commercial carpet tiles tonight. One RX and the Hoss - dual wanding. The RX got clogged repeatedly yesterday pulling hair out from under the partition bottoms. I am a bit concerned with the Hoss getting clogged repeatedly. Will be running the 52 orafice to start at 500 psi.

Hopefully will try to take time to put all three in and see for any differences.

Any tips before I get started in a couple of hours?

Thanks.

No I don't have one yet....I would give my front seat in hell for one but...due to a few things that came up with my parents...I am going to have to wait a bit....A tear comes to my eye every time I have to drop the RX out of the truck..knowing the Hoss would be much better.....

Hopefully soon.....

You want to run the smaller orifice and drop your PSI to about 350...hopefully you have the 3 small and 2 larger jet bars on it.....she wont clog like the RX...just keep your eye on the site bowl thingy.......

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Well, gave it good commercial test run last run. 5 hours of straight cleaning dual wanding with a RX. First off, I have had very little rotary experience either with these or 175s. I have always been a crb (when necessary) and higher flow wand.

IMAG0473-1.jpg

IMAG0466-1.jpg

It took a little to get used to, but you do notice right away the tug (power). I started with the 52 (against Jim's advice) at 500 psi (dual). figuring the dual solution would really be closer to 450ish. The 52 was too wet after doing one hall. Changed out to 47 disc. Still good flow. Was basically running one slow speed wet with a slightly faster dry pass. I got better as we went along.

A few dislikes, seems like I need longer handles for my 6'4" frame. The noise from the clear elbow at the base was annoying to say the least. I tried several things to stop it to no success. This alone would keep me from buying. It is pretty noisy overall, but that whining is bad. It continued with vary high pitches throughout the night. After almost 4 hours, I gave in and passed it to our other tech.

th_VIDEO0009.jpg

More likes than dislikes, it fit nicely under the desks that we were doing (better if longer handles). It will grab phone and data cords if not careful. :shock: Only one casualty. We were cleaning 6 y/o carpet tiles that had never been cleaned.

IMAG0468-1.jpg

IMAG0469-1.jpg

It noticeably lifted the pile on these tiles even with only one wet and one dry.

IMAG0474-1.jpg

IMAG0475-1.jpg

I did very little spotting as compared to the wand. Really only gum and it went quicker than with a wand as well. Even though it was a pain at first, I liked that hair (and stuff) would get caught on that solution tube for easy disposal as opposed to clogging the vacuum ports.

IMAG0470-1.jpg

It seemed to work more efficiently than the RX, but with my limited experience with these tools I'm not sure how qualified a statement that is. It will get some serious consideration for purchase. Although, I would love to get my hands on a Zipper tool to compare side by side for commercial purposes. Overall, very happy with it. Will put it to use on some residential tomorrow. Thanks for Jon Don of Tampa for letting me test drive it.

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
Mikey P said:
that noise is the Axel system and there is a lift kit for 6 footers available.

Sorry Mike, I know what he is referring too here, and it's not the axle (they have different wheels that stop that rattle that you heard originally Mike)

Whoever put this together (with no disrespect to whomever did it) hasn't tightened/adjusted the bolts and the clear vacuum tube. What happens if not done properly, is the white gasket that sits between the clear sight tube and the base can suck air and vibrate the gasket giving it a sharp piercing/whistling sound. It's a real quick fix and once adjusted - you won't hear from it again.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Jim Bethel said:
[quote="Mikey P":3586eolh]that noise is the Axel system and there is a lift kit for 6 footers available.

Sorry Mike, I know what he is referring too here, and it's not the axle (they have different wheels that stop that rattle that you heard originally Mike)

Whoever put this together (with no disrespect to whomever did it) hasn't tightened/adjusted the bolts and the clear vacuum tube. What happens if not done properly, is the white gasket that sits between the clear sight tube and the base can suck air and vibrate the gasket giving it a sharp piercing/whistling sound. It's a real quick fix and once adjusted - you won't hear from it again.[/quote:3586eolh]

I will be using it twice today on residential, I will tighten them down. Thanks, Jim.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have had 2 guys call me a few weeks ago with the same problem....easy fix....

is they would get rid of the metal washers and go with teflon spacers on the wheels.....and sung them up a bit....it would quite that noise down a lot......

all rotaries handle different...even for all the years that I have ran an RX the Hoss was still a bit of a learning curve....
if you stick with it and find the sweet spot on how it operates....You will surprise yourself on how often you will take it out of the truck....

Just got to remember that with the jet set up on this....more is not better....you get penetration and flush all in one shot.....small disk....low pressure...will flush out any carpet out there and give you great dry times......

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Mikey P said:
that noise is the Axel system and there is a lift kit for 6 footers available.

Who do I need to talk to about the kit? They said that they are working on a "conversion" kit for it. The one in your pics looks like a solid piece.

I went ahead and bought it based on cleaning with it on multiple jobs and about 15k of commercial carpet. Really takes away the fatigue factor vs. a wand. Oh, and berber carpet - wow.

I think I have the spacers in my wheels, so the noise level is doable but needs to go away if possible. The high pitching noise was coming from the o-ring on the top clear port. I think it got worked in and fits better now. The noise was also coming from where the hose attaches to the cuff. I will to put a new vac hose set up on to keep that from happening again.

Overall, pleased with but need more commercial to put it to work.

ayetti

Jim Martin said:
tested out the Hoss 700 on commercial glue down in a large church......

I pulled out the 360i to compare it with because this type of carpet is the only place that this P.O.S really works with out streaking...ran it down one of the isles and then hooked up the 700...it did not take long for the 360i to go back in the truck..the 700 just blew it away...

IMG_5654.jpg

you are better off running the 700 in the same pattern as the RX....with the left to right and about a 1/4 over lap...
the head is bigger and flatter and you are covering a lot more area with the 700...

IMG_5656.jpg

300 psi and the stock orifice....( 58 ?? )...seems to be a good combination for this...

IMG_5658.jpg

the recovery is really good..it can put it down and get it right back out...this carpet was loaded with sand and soap..and it had no problem flushing it all out....

IMG_5682.jpg

On CGD this is the one to have....and it did not leave the ugly vacuum lines in the carpet like the 360i does..

I used it on some different residential carpets last Wednesday and Thursday...but I was working alone and it was hard to get pictures..But I did put it on some types that I would of never put the 360i on and it did great...this test model has 2 long and 3 short jets.........you could probably go to 3 long ones...and plug off the 2 short ones..and drop down to a smaller orifice size and gain a little more heat out of it...and with the larger flat head it has more balance and body to it and it does not pull its self down into the carpet like the 360i did...

My guy will be with me tomorrow and I will get some residential pictures....

I just saw this at the local interlink supplier and got kind or excited about it. i think it may have a place in my business at some point in the not so distant future. I bought a rotovac 360I a couple years ago and although it is a great tool, it doesn't really fit my style of cleaning. I am kind of excited about the Hoss. Weird that it doesn't have jets.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Spray bars work ten times better then the standard jets....

Once you get one...that roto vac will be on Craigslist .......

ayetti

I just can't get on board with the RV it leaves everything WET! I have a gardner denver 4005 blower that I opened up good (2.5" from tank to blower) I run 4 to the door, the whole nine yards and it just leaves it WET. i actually jetted it down to 75's and it still is too wet.

Name
Lee Stockwell
ayetti said:
I just can't get on board with the RV it leaves everything WET! I have a gardner denver 4005 blower that I opened up good (2.5" from tank to blower) I run 4 to the door, the whole nine yards and it just leaves it WET. i actually jetted it down to 75's and it still is too wet.
...dump valve open?

ayetti

Lee Stockwell said:
ayetti said:
...dump valve open?

Dump valve? like on my truckmount? or is there a vacuum relief on the rotovac?

I definitly don't mean to offend the rotovac crowd, obviously it is good enough or it would not be nearly as popular as it is. I was talking with my partner about it yesterday. We are gonna re jet it back to 11015's and change the felt ring, I am gonna lower the cleaning PSI and see if that helps.

Any input on proper PSI with a three jet head 4.5 flow rotovac (dang that's low flow)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you are having problems with the dry times on the 360i...then something is off....

the Hoss will leave the carpets drier then the 360....but the 360 has a good recovery....

drop your PSI to about 350..that is all the little machine needs.......

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Hey jim I just bought a rv two weeks ago I have yet to try it out. You really sound like you like the hoss better. I hope you got yours for free.
Saw an ad for the hoss in ics mag quoting you on it. Are you their spokes person now?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
ayetti said:
Lee Stockwell said:
ayetti said:
...dump valve open?

Dump valve? like on my truckmount? or is there a vacuum relief on the rotovac?

I definitly don't mean to offend the rotovac crowd, obviously it is good enough or it would not be nearly as popular as it is. I was talking with my partner about it yesterday. We are gonna re jet it back to 11015's and change the felt ring, I am gonna lower the cleaning PSI and see if that helps.

Any input on proper PSI with a three jet head 4.5 flow rotovac (dang that's low flow)

Actually, that is 9 flow because the flood jet numbers are about twice the flow of a fan jet. In other words, a 1.5 flood jet is about the same as a number 3 fan jet used in most tools.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
AJ RUIZ said:
Hey jim I just bought a rv two weeks ago I have yet to try it out. You really sound like you like the hoss better. I hope you got yours for free.
Saw an ad for the hoss in ics mag quoting you on it. Are you their spokes person now?

I like the Hoss much better......After running an RX for years and then running the 360..they gave me a opportunity to test drive the Hoss....and as far as flushing and drying the carpets..it put both the RX and the 360i to shame....

I don't have one yet but I have plans to have one real soon....and I will take both the other rotaries off my truck...

I am not there spokes person....but I have no problems backing it up for being the best out there.......

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
We have cleaned another 12k sq ft of commercial this weekend with the Hoss. It worked out great. Really took the fatigue factor out of cleaning. We ran dual the RX and Hoss on 24k. I am not sure if I saw a significant difference between the two.

We cleaned a very bad berber (pet stains, etc). It did a really nice job lifting the pile on that berber while cleaning. Put a fan on it and had it dry in 90 minutes.

I will say one thing about rotary cleaning, since it's relatively new to me, my dump water from those commercial jobs were the dirtiest that I have ever seen - period. :shock:

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Jim like I said I haven’t even used my RV yet i am going to tomorrow we will see if I am happy with it. I wonder if I would be able to return it if I am not happy with how it works lol. any way Jim you mentioned that you are not a spoke person for the hoss. you may want to look at this ad I found in this months ICS mag, if they are using your name as an endorsement I hope you got your machine free or at a least at a deep discount lol.

jim.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Yes I know all about that...
It was from a conversation about the Hoss on another board...
They asked for premission to use my statement...

Like I said...I am no spokes person...But I have no problems backing up things that I think are good and will help people....

The Hoss was a we thought out machine as far as flush and flow...the shoe design will give you better dry times....

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Thanks for the info and the time you take on this board Jim as usual your have proven to been a great asset to our trade. i wish i would have had this info a few weeks ago i would have prob not even bought my RV that still sits in the truck with its cherry intact lol. i guess i will know if i like our new tool today.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
P.S. Jim people usually get paid for thier statments. you are well known in our industry and your approval is got to be worth something lol.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Thanks...but I don't need to get paid for anything....I'm just another BDCC like everyone else...sucking dog pee out of peoples carpet and living the American dream.......

ayetti

Jim Martin said:
If you are having problems with the dry times on the 360i...then something is off....

the Hoss will leave the carpets drier then the 360....but the 360 has a good recovery....

I suspect my opinion is probably a little skewed because of the way I clean with a wand. Most of the work I do is mid to high end residential, and I focus a lot on dry times. I will almost always pre scrub with either crb or 175 and then I will do a pretty high ratio of dry strokes to cleaning strokes maybe 3-1. It is also entirely possible that I am guilty of some operator error.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ayetti said:
Jim Martin said:

I suspect my opinion is probably a little skewed because of the way I clean with a wand. Most of the work I do is mid to high end residential, and I focus a lot on dry times. I will almost always pre scrub with either crb or 175 and then I will do a pretty high ratio of dry strokes to cleaning strokes maybe 3-1. It is also entirely possible that I am guilty of some operator error.

Sounds to me like your working yourself to death....

with a good rotary you can do what a 175 and a wand will do all in one shot....if your killing yourself with all the dry strokes then balance your tools to your equipment and you will be much further ahead.......

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Well we used our RV today for the first time, I have mixed feelings about it. I will say it cleaned pretty good compared to a wand and I was not as beat up either. it handled pretty much like a reg swing machine so not much of a learning curve. this carpet job looked a lot worse in person and the black spots are cig burns and if the RV would have got those out i would be putting the wand away for good lol, any way it did a great job but I have no other rotary to compare to. now to my concerns, it would be nice if the handle position adjustment button was higher up but that’s not really a big deal. Also what’s with these swirls that look like a bunch of leaves in the carpet it is hard to tell with all that going on if you missed a spot until it is raked or groomed. Also I noticed that the motor was very hot almost to hot to touch. with the motor that hot I cant imagine it lasting to long, is it supposed to be that hot? i took a pic with my IR cam and it was running at 160 deg.

roto3.jpg

roto1.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
your little motor got hot because of the type it is..they are more designed for free spinning not working trying to make something spin....and when you put it on that thick of a carpet..it is working over time....

when the time comes and you run it on a berber or a CGD...you will notice that it will not get as hot because it is not working as hard....

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
so whats the deal here, how long should i expect before this motor on my RV gives out? i was looking at the hoss videos on youtube and there is a lot of screws and stuff on the head for carpet fibers to get hung up on or worse a loose run on a berber and ouch. why cant they just design something with the best features of all of them lol. Jim make us a rotary we can buy from you lol. you can call it the Jimmy jammer. but really i dont like all the screws and stuff look like a potential headache.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
ps i thought the RV was designed for all thickness of carpets. was i useing it on to thick of a carpet?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom