Testing the Hoss 700....

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
i just had a thought, look out lol. could there be to much drag in vacuum from my V?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
AJ RUIZ said:
so whats the deal here, how long should i expect before this motor on my RV gives out? i was looking at the hoss videos on youtube and there is a lot of screws and stuff on the head for carpet fibers to get hung up on or worse a loose run on a berber and ouch. why cant they just design something with the best features of all of them lol. Jim make us a rotary we can buy from you lol. you can call it the Jimmy jammer. but really i dont like all the screws and stuff look like a potential headache.

I can't say how long it will last...once I noticed the streaking and the motor heating up I don't put it on thicker type carpet any more.....I don't think it is good for all carpets...Most seem to think it does a bad job on CGD....IMO...berber and CGD is where this little machine shines...But it is much slower pace because it is so small....
and yes...you vacuum is going to play a big role in how this thing is going to run...If you are pulling a good hard vacuum...it will suck the 360 down into the higher type pile carpets because there is no stability to hold it up..those 3 or 4 little round teflon things will just plant then selfs down in....once it does this then it blocks the jets and you are not going to clean that well....on CGD and Berber..they will stay above the carpet and the jets will disperse the water the right way....

the screws on the bottom of the Hoss are not an issue....they do collect dirt and lint...but there is not a rotary out there that doesn't...The screws are not a threat for snagging anything....

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
AJ RUIZ said:
so whats the deal here, how long should i expect before this motor on my RV gives out? i was looking at the hoss videos on youtube and there is a lot of screws and stuff on the head for carpet fibers to get hung up on or worse a loose run on a berber and ouch. why cant they just design something with the best features of all of them lol. Jim make us a rotary we can buy from you lol. you can call it the Jimmy jammer. but really i dont like all the screws and stuff look like a potential headache.

In less than a week, we have cleaned almost 50k sq ft of commercial and residential with this machine. We have done 2 trashed out berbers (some rooms already had a few snags) and there was no carpet damage done anywhere.

The one thing you have to look for is loose (needing to be stretched) carpet. The Hoss digs in and will cause ripples while cleaning.

We cleaned a great room today was mildly soiled with some spills and spots. Normally would have wanded it, but took out the Hoss. 450 psi, smallest orifice, 2 wet passes, 1 dry pass. We demo'd a small tile/grout section in the house, chatted with the homeowner for a few. Carpet was dry. I couldn't believe it.

Take the RV back asap.

lance

AJ, are you using the 360i with the three swoops or the new head with the four swoops?

When you were cleaning with it was it moving easily side to side or did it feel like maybe it was dragging alittle? Were you happy with the dryness of the carpet right after using the RV?

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Hi Lance I have answered your questions below.

AJ, are you using the 360i with the three swoops or the new head with the four swoops?

I am using the 3 vac head I asked about the four head as well the hoss before I bought the RV I was told there would not be much of a difference in heads on the Rv and that the verdict was still out on the hoss to try the RV first.

When you were cleaning with it was it moving easily side to side or did it feel like maybe it was dragging a little?

The RV felt like it was grabbing the carpet great (I thought that was a good thing) and it did appear to be doing a good cleaning job but it is hard to tell until you groom the carpet. IMHO you have to groom not like the wand strokes that most have become use to on carpet but those leafy swirls don’t look good. IMHO you have to groom when done. After we groomed a few spots looked like they needed more attention and we took care of it.

Were you happy with the dryness of the carpet right after using the RV?

The carpets felt dryer than with a wand.

My biggest concern here is if the Rv is going to hold up. The motor was very hot if you take a look at the IR image here you will see that after 4 rooms of carpet or about 1 hr the motor was running at 160 deg or more. I would like to see the running motor temp on the Hoss. Besides the motor temp on the RV the streaks, swirls, leaf pattern or whatever they are called doesn’t let me see the cleaning results until I groom. Another problem I can see coming up might be the height adjustment on the handle; there are two poles that slide up and down and two knobs that you tighten to secure it in place. Those two knobs screw into two nuts held on by a little spot weld if I had to bet I would say that will not hold up. Have any of you had those knob bolts break off?

I also have a few concerns about the Hoss. The plastic 90 deg elbow (vac sight) on the top where the vac hose connects does not look very durable like it will not hold up to even the least bit of abuse. I was also looking at the videos of the hoss and not sure if you store it with the head installed or detached. If you store it with the head attached cleaning it out looks like a pain. On the website video they used a screw gun to take apart and clean vac ports and IMHO any time you take screws on and off of something (especially Phillips) the wear and strip after a while or don’t lay flat and then I can see snags on carpet fiber. I am into damage control I don’t really like all those potential snag looking parts on the head but I guess time will tell. Unfortunately I bought my RV already I probably should have waited and done a bit more research and asked a bit more here first. My only choice here would be to return the RV to my dist. which I am sure would not be a prob because their great but then if I get the Hoss and I am not happy with it I will look like an idiot lol. But then again I do a good job of looking like an idiot under normal circumstances lol.

IRmotor.jpg

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
AJ RUIZ said:
I also have a few concerns about the Hoss. The plastic 90 deg elbow (vac sight) on the top where the vac hose connects does not look very durable like it will not hold up to even the least bit of abuse. I was also looking at the videos of the hoss and not sure if you store it with the head installed or detached. If you store it with the head attached cleaning it out looks like a pain. On the website video they used a screw gun to take apart and clean vac ports and IMHO any time you take screws on and off of something (especially Phillips) the wear and strip after a while or don’t lay flat and then I can see snags on carpet fiber. I am into damage control I don’t really like all those potential snag looking parts on the head but I guess time will tell. Unfortunately I bought my RV already I probably should have waited and done a bit more research and asked a bit more here first. My only choice here would be to return the RV to my dist. which I am sure would not be a prob because their great but then if I get the Hoss and I am not happy with it I will look like an idiot lol. But then again I do a good job of looking like an idiot under normal circumstances lol.

The 90 degree elbow is very stable and thick - no issue there, except maybe replacing that oring every so often. I store with the head on, no issues. I have only taken off two of vacuum glides because they had some debris from the commercial job (not prevac'd). This was the only time out of almost 50k sq ft carpet cleaning. Jim and I already addressed your snag concerns. Best thing to do at this point is demo it. I wasn't sold on it until I demo'd it. See for yourself.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Thanks for the info guys. i will do some more research next time i make a big purchase. I think i will try the 4 vac head on the roto and see how it goes. My dealer says out of all the RV he has sold he has not had one motor ordered for replacement so i guess hot is the way it rolls lol. I think the 4 vac head will help and i suspect they will work something out thats fair they always do (reason why i use a good supplier with good track record of service). RV is light and it did a pretty good job. i will try it out a bit more and see.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
cool shot with the flir camera. i have the rotovac and the motors never get hot. it gets used and abused and they are original. i bought it in 02. looks like the same motor. getting that hot will shorten it's life.

gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
yea i have the original one with 2 motors. cleans beautifully but a little slow. i think it leaves the carpet a little wetter then the new hoss , but it's true one hand wanding . cleans the nasties with ease and you never break a sweat.

gene

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I have continued to use this in different conditions. Overall, I have been very happy with it.

However, did a carpet last week - thick nylon pile - that streaked pretty bad. I had to respray and wand it out.

IMAG0509-2.jpg

IMAG0508-2.jpg

IMAG0507-2.jpg

I have not had any streaking until now, I checked all jets, check valve, etc to make sure flow was sufficient. All checked out. Is this machine not a good fit for this type of carpet?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
looks like you may have went to fast.......

The Hoss is faster then the RX and the 360i...but you still have to find the pace.....

ON all rotaries.....you have to give the machine time to do its job.....

richard

Name
Richard Weedman
I haven't tried the Hoss yet so I cannot compare the two but I've been using the 360i for about a year and really like it.
I did a few mods like inline filter. I don't do a lot of restaurants but I have a 1 Japanese rest. with greasy olifin. Works wonders and the streaks are walked off with traffic. Jim keeps referring to the i as a p.o.s., but on trashed carpet the thing shines and takes all of the labor out of it. The i is about 1/3 the cost and well worth it imho.
I'd like to try the hoss sometime.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
richard said:
I haven't tried the Hoss yet so I cannot compare the two but I've been using the 360i for about a year and really like it.
I did a few mods like inline filter. I don't do a lot of restaurants but I have a 1 Japanese rest. with greasy olifin. Works wonders and the streaks are walked off with traffic. Jim keeps referring to the i as a p.o.s., but on trashed carpet the thing shines and takes all of the labor out of it. The i is about 1/3 the cost and well worth it imho.
I'd like to try the hoss sometime.

get your hands on one....learn its cleaning curve....and you will leave the 360i at home......

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
just tried the 360i 4 head on short nap commercial carpet in a movie theater. worked pretty good and the motor ran coloer as you can see in the IR image. still bogged down in areas but overall did a good job.
IRmotor2.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom