There's been allot of talk about different rinses

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Its been a while since I took my last IICRC class, but to my knowledge their cleaning standard does not require acid rinse. I am under the impression that the acid rinsing of carpet phenomena was due to the use of very high pH presprays that needed to be knocked down some. Later it seemed to have caught on with the cleaning boards as something essential, rather than for just certain occasions where it would be beneficial to use an acid side rinse.
Likewise going off memory cos I've got no idea where my standard manual is (AS/NZS3733:1995) no approved prespray is over 10pH on any fibre unless doing lets forget the rules restorative clean

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The history of how pH has been taught for the thirty some years since the stain resistant nylon revolution has been cringeworthy and it's still creating discussions like this.

The pH numbers only tell part of the story, as they don't express any measurement of total alkalinity. Nor does the fact that an acid treatment was used mean that residue won't exist, as neutralization does not mean that surfactant residues have necessarily been removed.

Jim Smith has shared some of the best information written on total alkalinity, and Tom Forsythe on water hardness and rinsing.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I'm assuming that all carpet chem manufacterers assume as do other chem suppliers from other industrys, that all water has a pH of 7 and is deionised

But thats the lab world not the real world

and I get that pH isnt the whole story but the higher the pH the harder to rinse is what I was always taught

therefore always run a rinse lower in pH than the prespray to help rinse residue not necessarily neutralise pH

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Every job is a lesson and every floor tells a story. Be willing to learn and to read and you can reach your own conclusion. I will give you a story. I was cleaning my own carpet and when I finished their was a carpet remant by the door. The prespray was already put away so I cleaned it with just an emulsifier through the machine. It was gone over multiple times with the wand and was very clean. As time went on I noticed that the rest of the carpet was looking dirty but not the remnant. So what was the lesson, emulsifiers will clean the carpet but not in an effecient manner. Presprays will clean the carpet but need to be rinsed out well. So what gets the job done the most effecient and the most thorough?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
And not one word on optical brightners ....which i believe are peculiar to higher Ph based product....i would recuse my knowledge of chems over to Jim....as he is the expert......
So Jim.....am i off my noodle....?

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ron is from the same commonwealth, Dan. Surely, beside love of queen, you share the same humor. Here is a shared commonwealth test for you two:

A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The driver says, “Ugh! That’s the ugliest baby I’ve ever seen.”

The woman stalks off to the rear of the bus and sits down. She turns to the man sitting next to her and says, “The driver just insulted me!”

The man says, “You go and give him a telling off. I’ll hold your monkey for you.”

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Ron is from the same commonwealth, Dan. Surely, beside love of queen, you share the same humor. Here is a shared commonwealth test for you two:

A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The driver says, “Ugh! That’s the ugliest baby I’ve ever seen.”

The woman stalks off to the rear of the bus and sits down. She turns to the man sitting next to her and says, “The driver just insulted me!”

The man says, “You go and give him a telling off. I’ll hold your monkey for you.”
we both share the love of eh!? along with the aussies

Reactions: Cleanworks

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
So, speaking of rinses. I worked all day in the rain. Had to use some Acid rinse and SaigerCide on a mildew smelling carpet. Gave it a rub-a-dub with the 15” CRB and let it dwell for about 30 minutes. Seemed to do the trick. I’ll call the customer in a couple of days and make sure it’s all good.

The only thing that concerns me is there was no visible sign of mildew except for an odor in one spot. The odor was omitting from an invisible spot about the size of penny. She could smell it from across the room. I could also when I got on my knees and put my nose to it. The lady is preggers so her senses are heightened. She said she bought the carpet at Home Depot and it was marketed to her as “Life Proof” with a sealed backing. I admonished her that I would do what I could but if there’s a leak coming up from the subfloor, she may need to pull the carpet and pad.

After doing four jobs in the rain, I rewarded myself with a Baconator.

Oh, and I cleaned more boat seats tonight.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I hate chasing mouldy smells, had 1 with nothing visible but lift the carpet and over half the pad was done. It was in an old historic cob cottage and the ground over the years had risen to the height of the floor. Actually the cottage had probably sunk but nothing visible until lifted the carpet

Reactions: Nomad74

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
to translate the Bawb speak.

i'll bring some herbal induced chocolate chip cookies that may be of help?

if you ain't too askerrt!

i'm really looking forward to this fest
it could be the very best one yet...............did you hear..
I'M SPEAKING...
i've really never done this before...but how hard could speaking to a group of overly plump carpet cleaners that are doing it wrong...be?
and the best part is meeting all the people that i already met before

of course nothing could top the dog fiasco in Pittsburgh

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleanworks

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
:numfi: It must be some sort of stupid california humor, because it doesn't make any sense to me either.:headscratch:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
who was the cueball that spawned the #5 ?

for those asking it about it, years ago there was a member that demonstrated a propensity to be a clueless mOOk .
For some reason (can't remember what reason) the "#5" got tag'd to be synonymous with "retarded"..... and him

..L.T.A.

Name
Jeff T
i'll bring some herbal induced chocolate chip cookies that may be of help?

if you ain't too askerrt!

i'm really looking forward to this fest
it could be the very best one yet...............did you hear..
I'M SPEAKING...
i've really never done this before...but how hard could speaking to a group of overly plump carpet cleaners that are doing it wrong...be?
and the best part is meeting all the people that i already met before

of course nothing could top the dog fiasco in Pittsburgh
Bawb, just throw in lots of ‘AND AH’s’ you’ll be fine....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom