Tom King's new location..

Mikey P

Administrator
I get a preview of photos of his new set up.

:eekk:

Like I said he's going to piss off a lot of owner ops.

a plastic sears tool shed it aint.

You'll want to be on the MBWebinar tonight, trust me.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

A.J.

Name
A.J. Hodges
I was just thinking of him moving 50miles South to my city. I'd just pack up and moves while I'm still new at this.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I was just thinking of him moving 50miles South to my city. I'd just pack up and moves while I'm still new at this.
  • I would welcome a Tom King type of operation in my area. I always need a good company I can refer customers to when I can't service them. As long as he operates his trucks in the traditional steam wand cleaning style with no preconditioning, no rotary whatsoever, his trucks and his employees can never touch the work of a knowledgeable and conscientious O/O. Just learn your craft and customers will always call you.

Reactions: jcooper

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
  • I would welcome a Tom King type of operation in my area. I always need a good company I can refer customers to when I can't service them. As long as he operates his trucks in the traditional steam wand cleaning style with no preconditioning, no rotary whatsoever, his trucks and his employees can never touch the work of a knowledgeable and conscientious O/O. Just learn your craft and customers will always call you.

I would think Tom preconditions at a minimum. Would be surprising to hear otherwise. I get your point, though.

Reactions: cleanking

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
is that an assumption, Art?
Or do you know if Tom uses similar biz model as Stanley Steemer and Hagopian?

..L.T.A.
I will assume it's true unless told otherwise. I doubt Tom would be able to discuss methodology as he is not involved in cleaning, but it is his company. He is a brilliant marketer and manager

Reactions: Dolly Llama

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Art, who's my hero, right there with Holden Caulfield and Scout Finch, still unfortunately doesn't quite get it.
  • I mean nobody can clean as fast as Art.
  • And nobody can push two vacuums with his right hand (by the way, what does he do with the left?) like he does.
  • The man charges a third of what we, bdcc's, do, yet works six times as fast which means that he makes twice as much money.
And after all these years, you really think it is the Rotary and preconditioning that sets you apart?

Reactions: Art Kelley

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think every carpet cleaning company will come to a point where they are forced to choose the direction and clients they will try to reach.

Tom seems to be doing an AWESOME job at building a substantial cleaning and restoration biz in a big market! Hats off to him for it. I mean that.

BUT there are other types of successful cc biz owners. There's another way, if one chooses to take it. Notice I didn't say a better way, just a different way.

That's why (I think) Art said he'd welcome Tom in his market. So would I. There's a STARK difference between the quality you will get from an Art Kelly and what will be delivered by these bigger companies with FAR less experienced techs.

All cleaning is a matter of degree.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
That's why (I think) Art said he'd welcome Tom in his market. So would I. There's a STARK difference between the quality you will get from an Art Kelly and what will be delivered by these bigger companies with FAR less experienced techs.

This is why many will never have employees in the back of your mind will always be the thought "they can never be as good as me".

That is the fatale flaw of most small business owners. "I am the only one that can do it well".

Being 3-4 trucks does not make you Stanley Steamer. My gosh their are plenty of guys who lurk on this board that have 10,15,20 trucks and they never interact because of those thought process.

I don't find complements encouraging when they always end with your techs can not be good cleaners.

You have to think "I have people who are better than I could have ever been".

I am a cleaner and my guys are better than I would have ever been. I would stack them up against any O/O.

Being the owner does not make you the best cleaner. It just makes you the owner!!!

SBC Guys you Rock! My guys read this forum.

Oh and Russ my guys would know not to drive to Ames to clean Apartments. They would drive to the West side of Des Moines where the high-end work is. They are smart enough to know big house's do not have trashed out carpets you have to slave over for low dollars. They know they get bigger tickets.

Remember that is where I started cleaning carpets 30 years ago.

If you guys want to go after me great don't make side comments about my employees.

Everyone knows I can be a jerk. Now next topic. You have nothing more to prove.
I just proved it for you.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Tom, what are your techs using to facilitate the agitation step of the cleaning process?

If you don't know, maybe the techs could chime in?

CRB, 175, rotary extractor......Grandi Groomer....their Nike's?

I neglected this HUGE part of the cleaning process for years because I was trained by companies that either didn't know the difference or didn't care. This step is time consuming but makes a huge difference.

This board is loaded with guys (gals too) who have shared their experiences and made me a FAR better cleaner. Im really thankful for that and probably trying too hard to get others to see it.

Many (like me) error by focusing on the process and tools rather than putting their resources more heavily into sales/marketing.

I'm learning though. I never dreamed I would be spending so much pushing our brand. Tom is one of the guys who helped me to see this.

Be careful though, not to neglect the process in favor of chasing the next NEW client. In my market, repeat biz is huge.

Please don't take this personal. I don't know you hardly at all but do see the success you're having. It's awesome and I'm trying to learn.

Saw the Iowa Cubs with my fam last night so I missed the big internet radio show but will try to listen later.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
image.jpg

I apologize if I've broken the internet. NEW customers are loving what The Clean Machine is up to!

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Tom, what are your techs using to facilitate the agitation step of the cleaning process?

I neglected this HUGE part of the cleaning process for years because I was trained by companies that either didn't know the difference or didn't care. This step is time consuming but makes a huge difference.

Out team and myself do know the difference. They guys carry RX-20's for as needed.

They will tell you as will many of the large and small experienced cleaners the sales message of all the rotary manufactures is not necessary on every single job, nor is it recommended on every carpet.

Heck a proper quality pre-spray, the agitation from your wand, a grandi groom prior to rinsing will give you all the agitation you need for most carpets.

The question is also what are people willing to pay for? Sure a small number of clients will want the full blown experience. The fact of the matter most do not want to pay for that.

Their is nothing immoral or inferior in providing the services that 90% of the industry provides each and every day.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I am a cleaner and my guys are better than I would have ever been. I would stack them up against any O/O.
Being the owner does not make you the best cleaner. It just makes you the owner!!!
SBC Guys you Rock! My guys read this forum.
And that is the fatal flaw of multiple van operators:
The delusion, or is it the PR stand they have to take in public, or wishful thinking, that their guys are perfect. People like Russ and Art and myself come across clients on a daily basis, that used to employ this kind of multi van companies, of which the owners or managers, engaged in this kind of wishful thinking. It is not just the operator and your perfect operating manual, Tom (Bryan etc.) it is the whole interaction. The sum of pride, care and personal investment and taking every single interaction with a client personally.

You can send your employees to every course in the land, expose them to every rah rah meeting (that I am sure you do) and it still won't happen. And the ones for which it will, congratulations! you just trained your next competitor.

1. Can your employees do a good job?-- You betcha! Maybe even a very good one.
  2. Can you package your company very well?- Yes, sir. And you will with a nice sleek sheen.
  3. Can you implement procedures and initiate all due "moments of truth"?- I am sure you are hard at work doing it right now. The E myth is a good book. Stanley does (read their procedure book Tom and see what happens in the real world as we do.) .
  4. Can you manage your (what is it 3-4 vans now?) better than a company with a fleet?- Yes. I am sure you do. It is going to be harder as you grow.
  5. Can you create a positive culture in your company? - Yes. A company can only be as good as the man at the top of the company. Therefore I am sure yours does, which will help achieve an all around better multiple van company.
  6. Can you buy the best van, equipment, sleekest cover to your ever growing operating standard? - Yes. But you don't get it yet, do you? That's not what makes the difference and why some clients still prefer the "outstanding" O/O.
  7. Can there be great individual cleaners that are not suited to be O/O's? - Yes. And if you find them you'll do your company good. Can't be done on a large scale though.

Does being an O/O makes one necessarily "outstanding"?- NO. It is a higher standard and not every one is suited for it. Just as not every great O/O makes a great multiple van company owner. Different set of skills.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom