Tom King's new location..

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Being 3-4 trucks does not make you Stanley Steamer. My gosh their are plenty of guys who lurk on this board that have 10,15,20 trucks and they never interact because of those thought process.
Now you're the "thought Process Police"? Give us a break Tom, will you?

I am a cleaner and my guys are better than I would have ever been. I would stack them up against any O/O.
Re phrase please. These are people, you don't stack them up.
Oh hell...here we go. You work up Ofer!
I am stoked pink Topeka man!
Pink, I say. The same color of glasses Tom (etc.) use when viewing their company :winky:

And I'll stack myself up against any of Tom's "stackables". :yoda:

I don't find complements encouraging when they always end with your techs can not be good cleaners.

P.S. Less people think this to be personal and not sure how Tom will take this compliment: I like Tom, enjoy his thoughtful threads, have lots to learn from him (giggle at times reading some of his delusions and mis-perceptions) and have great respect for his energy and drive.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Out team and myself do know the difference. They guys carry RX-20's for as needed.

They will tell you as will many of the large and small experienced cleaners the sales message of all the rotary manufactures is not necessary on every single job, nor is it recommended on every carpet.

Heck a proper quality pre-spray, the agitation from your wand, a grandi groom prior to rinsing will give you all the agitation you need for most carpets.

The question is also what are people willing to pay for? Sure a small number of clients will want the full blown experience. The fact of the matter most do not want to pay for that.

Their is nothing immoral or inferior in providing the services that 90% of the industry provides each and every day.
Ugh.

I'm glad you set me straight on what 90% of residential carpet calls for...a Grandi Groomer.

I should probably sell my Rotovac and stop it with all the over cleaning...

Almost every living room calls for more than what you are describing, in my own narrow minded O/O mind set.

Never said what you are doing is immoral. I don't think it is. Not sure why we always end up there...

There's value in ALL levels of cleaning. Our customers see the value in a more thorough cleaning.

Not to mention the entire "experience" we deliver.

You would do well to listen, not just teach.

Reactions: Art Kelley

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I do not have time for the O/O is a higher moral calling crap today. Please. And I really like you Ofer.

It's carpet cleaning! It is the lowest entry point into our industry.

Go to the local supplier they sell the stuff to any guy who wants to be a O/O they don't care they just want the money!

What makes a guy my employee or a O/O better is the skill set they have. Your position as stake holder again does not make you a better cleaner.

The hard stuff to clean is not carpet. It all the other stuff, upholstery, stone, wood, restoration and dare I say Rugs.

Any body can take a rotary cleaner out, hook it up to a CDS, spray on a quality pre-spray, extract, groom and accept payment.

It is wishful thinking because you are 10 year or better O/O you are now the best cleaner.

My son said a few years ago "Seniority is not authority" I think it applies here.

Somebody jump in here and bring Greg Coles name. Very nice guy. I bought him dinner in Vegas to find out.
Cause yes all us guys with more than 2 trucks are slick willies who plan at night how we can defraud people, run in and out of house as fast as we can. Teaching our techs to cut corners, all while developing the perfect marketing flyers to burn through thousands of customers. So we can spend our weekends at our expensive lake homes driving our ridiculously expensive cars.

In the words of John Lovet " Yeah that's the ticket"

And please let's not have any O/O show any respect for the thousands of guys who work for a carpet cleaning companies or for that matter any service company across our great company. We all know these guys are somehow not able to be the all mighty single truck O/O. Heck most carpet cleaners made the mistake of not working for someone else and now they are trapped either financially or by their pride.

Some you are commenting here and did not join us last night. I think I made it very clear my appreciation for the single truck O/O. The discussion was not about cleaning methods, or direction you want to take your company. It was about how to grow your company and how we did it as honestly as we know how.

The tone of several here was disrespectful to my employees. That is why you are getting in the words of Donald Trump "Some tone from me"

We need a little professionalism in our industry sometimes. Think bout how it sounds to those guys many of them lurk or even attempt to participate. Who wants to be in a group that sees you as inferior? For those of you who want to listen to the talk. I tried to show nothing but respect to the O/O do the same for our technicians.

The subject of discussion was how to grow your company did you miss it.

3 areas you should be focusing on Connection, Production, Retention.

The conversation continues to go to only production. Pisses me off!!

Reactions: Able 1

hogjowl

Idiot™
In my view, there are elements of truth in both Tom's and Ofer's positions. And errors in both. I really liked what Tom said about the need for agitation.

Once I got over my ICS delusions, I came to realize that there are only a handful of customers who are willing to pay for the full owner operator experience (yes, I agree with Ofer on that point). The money is made somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: ruff

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
OHHHH bullshit! ;)

Wake up caveman and welcome to the new millennium. Get an RE or Zipper!

EVERY carpet that needs cleaning..... needs an RE or a Zipper!

E-V-E-R-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :winky:

95cb1f08-2c5c-42f1-8375-4bad134405f7_zps3py71kq3.jpg

Reactions: ruff and cleanking

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Anyone can think or say what they'd like about our operation, the truth is we aren't that large, and managing 3 high quality technicians and myself we are still COMPLETELY able to deliver a 'boutique' cleaning and experience. That's been a huge key to our success.

Check our web presence (as I'm sure you have), clients are happy, checks are clearing, and they're calling us back time and time again.

So where did we get it wrong again?

Yes, there is always be someone who claims to have better tools or skills, but in the end who (besides yourself) gives a shit? We our proud of what we do and stand behind our work with our customers, what else really matters?

As much as we could learn from listening to you (ofer, art kelly, etc.) you would be wise to not assume that any operation larger than a single truck can't provide high quality service and experience; that's where the real rub comes on this thread.

And yes, we pre-condition EVERY job, we use agitation and/or RE on EVERY job, and yes we have plenty of happy, repeat clients.

Last edited:

HydroDude

Name
JB
Out team and myself do know the difference. They guys carry RX-20's for as needed.

They will tell you as will many of the large and small experienced cleaners the sales message of all the rotary manufactures is not necessary on every single job, nor is it recommended on every carpet.

Heck a proper quality pre-spray, the agitation from your wand, a grandi groom prior to rinsing will give you all the agitation you need for most carpets.

The question is also what are people willing to pay for? Sure a small number of clients will want the full blown experience. The fact of the matter most do not want to pay for that.

Their is nothing immoral or inferior in providing the services that 90% of the industry provides each and every day.

When your working in Carmel / Fishers, Indiana all you need is a Grandi Groomer...cause the sweaty Handyman walked thru with his shoe's on...

Reactions: cleanking

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Not to mention the entire "experience" we deliver.

I could put one of our office staff on your phone and one of our techs in your truck and your customers would never know the difference. So could every other quality multi truck guy on this board.

Give me a break!

This is carpet cleaning not brain surgery!!

If you listen to last night you and any other sane person would see and hear I worked very hard at not discrediting being a single truck O/O. In fact I complimented the merits of it.

Being a O/O is not a quality of work decision its a quality of life decision.

Ofer has the experience and the relationship to poke the bear. Hope to see you early next year sir. We shall agree to disagree.

To finish off this thread. I really do have some work to finish up today.

I would be happy to work with or help a O/O who wants to grow just enough to protect his family from an injury or illness. If you want to go further and see how far you can take it that would be great also. PM me!

I would also love to get to know other multi truckers who are sitting back LTAO at this thread. I am sure you lurkers could help me go the next level.

Hopefully we can get the Multi Truck Mafia together later this fall. Looking at the 2nd or 3rd week of October. You know who you are give me a call. If not PM me.

Mike is also going to be out here in a few weeks late September to help us get better and some of our services. We are going to do a wash floor demo of our new Rug-Tech equipment on Saturday. Who knows we might even get a rotary out to better educate folks.

For any board members that want to drive in PM me if you are interested and have never met Mike live. He thinks no one would show up.

Billy Yeadon is in town we might get him to ride his bike over sense it's a Saturday.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Somebody jump in here and bring Greg Coles name. Very nice guy. I bought him dinner in Vegas to find out.

The conversation continues to go to only production. Pisses me off!!

I don't think there has been proper closure for ProCarpet. I want to say here and now, May It Rest In Peace. LOL. As the great Greg Cole once said, " the job is the job." He wasn't interested in production either, just getting the work. Tom, I'm glad you have your son there who does seem to understand what is involved in doing a proper cleaning job. And I hope you guys can expand his expertise across your entire fleet. It sound like you are on the right track. And p.s. congratulations on your success.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ofer has the experience and the relationship to poke the bear. Hope to see you early next year sir. We shall agree to disagree.

And if I may add: Respectfully so.

Unlike some, I clearly see and mostly agree with many of your points. You'd be surprised (I am actually sure you already know) that we agree on a whole lot more than we disagree on.

I just like to represent my short & sweaty people. We may be dumb, short, certainly sweaty but we smile a lot :winky:

Particularly after we had a beer :very_drunk:

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I do not have time for the O/O is a higher moral calling crap today. Please. ..............
LOL :winky:

In my view, there are elements of truth in both Tom's and Ofer's positions. ....................
(yes, I agree with Ofer on that point).............
The rest of you poodles may not know it yet.
But Marty and I are twins. :headbang:

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
And yes, we pre-condition EVERY job, we use agitation and/or RE on EVERY job, and yes we have plenty of happy, repeat clients.

Thank you, Jordan

clients are happy, checks are clearing, and they're calling us back time and time again.

that's a beautiful thing
do you personally regularly work in folk's homes?
(on the van cleaning regularly )

thanks

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What makes a guy my employee or a O/O better is the skill set they have. Your position as stake holder again does not make you a better cleaner.

in "general", be it the butcher, baker or candlestick maker biz...it's very rare individual that will work longer, harder and be more dedicated than the owner

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I could put one of our office staff on your phone and one of our techs in your truck and your customers would never know the difference. So could every other quality multi truck guy on this board.
Give me a break!
Tom has to and does think that way to be able to be the great company owner that he strives to be. If he didn't, he would never get there.

There's those rose colored glasses.
And Russ has to and does think that way to be able to be the great O/O that he strives to be. If he didn't, he would never get there.

Here is where I disagree:
  • Tom and likewise multiple van owners, have the secret belief (to which they will never publicly admit, almost religious like.) That given enough time and the right manual, they can turn any limping foul mouthed Chihuahua into a sweet talking, blaze selling Julia Roberts. They just can't help it. It's what makes them adorable.
  • Russ, on the other hand, is making the rookie mistake of thinking that it is his use of rotary (or whatever is the current tool of choice) that sets him apart. If it is, it's the thinnest of business advantages and he should not sleep well at all.
What sets you apart Russ, is the joy in your wife's voice when the client calls and she sets up another appointment. Knowing how hard you two worked to get to where you are and being grateful for it.
Its the fact that you take it as a personal endorsement (the compliment that it really is) when you clean for the same client for the 15th, time. You feel like hugging them. It's like your wife telling you after 30 years of marriage, that given the choice, she'll marry you again.

All of these cannot be duplicated, manualled if you will (that's my new verb for the day) as in creating another branch of McD.

All in all, we serve another niche and can both be financially successful and happy at what we do.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thoughtful post as usual Ofer and I believe on the money.

I really do understand our biggest weakness and vulnerability as a 1 man show. That does keep me up at times. Tom mentions that in the interview I'm watching now. It's a point well understood.

I cleaned for almost 15 years before getting really serious about this. I had to. Mel quit her full time job 5.5 years ago, the day before we had Max. I promised her I would find a way to have her home with our baby boy and didn't want her to concern herself with maternity leave.

I worked a full time job as Lead Custodian at a state community college (10 pm-6:30 am) for 3 years while cleaning carpet on the side. Long story short, I broke my leg bad in a motorcycle accident and was on the fritz for 3 months.

I started to dig in and get active on this board because I had a lot of time. I had been making the HUGE mistake of trying to do everything I saw Stanley Steemer doing because I could see their success.

I began making some changes to almost everything. I began to learn to clean better and gain the confidence I was seriously lacking. I began to realize I had to be me. I couldn't compete with the Stanley's on their terms.

I was seeing what some guys were charging and began to shift the way I was thinking.

Now I'm focusing on getting a system dialed in so I can make it easier for a new hire to do an awesome job. The rotary extractor gets a lot of play but it's partly because I don't want my customers to be so focused on ME.

I can be pretty cautious, probably to a fault. I've really wanted to be ready for that 1st hire. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I want him to be a career minded guy who's ready to work really hard and make great money. I don't want that guy to walk in at the moment. I don't feel like I'm ready. I'm still tweaking my game too much and don't think that would be good for the new guy to see. I need to be able to hold him to the system I'm creating, rather than shifting it around a lot.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I have 2 trucks used Toms internet guy to redo my website. And raised my prices slightly. I actually have 3 helpers My son, Phil, and Ryan. These guys rake in tips, get 5 stars reviews, bust out 175's, and rotary's extrators when needed, use all my one liners to get a laugh.

I like many here have built my business up. I was on the truck since 2000 grinding 6 days a week 5 jobs a day. Averaging about 120k a year in sales. I would pre spray move furniture and truck mount steam clean, I always had rotarys for real nasties 175, rx20.

Until I found the other board then, this board and was encouraged to raise my price while adding more service I was stuck in that 120k a year range.

Going to a 6 step process and getting hooked up with Yelp because of Mike, going after reviews and some how gettinng my website ranked on my own. Now I have an SEO company working on my site and Yelp is working out great for me.

We run 2 trucks almost evry day I'm on one truck at least 5 days a week and we have doubled are sales and more.

My goal like many here is to save enough to where I can live comfortably and retire someday.

I do enjoy the relationships I've built with my customers, and the comaraderie we have here and doing an outstanding job is a must. If a custommer calls with any problem we dont make excuses we book them for a reclean reinspect whatever and at that point I'm going to that house to see where I can fix or improve the situation.

Lastly getting some help was huge. Thanks Mike and all you guys. Hoping to be a three truck company soon.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks, Russ.
As you suspected, in that case, you and Tom have a lot more in common than the posts here show.

I have no doubt you'll get there.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Thank you, Jordan

that's a beautiful thing
do you personally regularly work in folk's homes?
(on the van cleaning regularly )

thanks

..L.T.A.

My role has changed slightly over the last year (been cleaning for 5 years this summer). I'm still on the truck 2 or 3 days a week. The rest of my time is spent on rug cleaning production and making sure our technicians have what they need in those emergency situations (van problems, equipment issues, picking up last minute jobs, etc.).

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Here is where I disagree:
  • Tom and likewise multiple van owners, have the secret belief (to which they will never publicly admit, almost religious like.) That given enough time and the right manual, they can turn any limping foul mouthed Chihuahua into a sweet talking, blaze selling Julia Roberts. They just can't help it. It's what makes them adorable.
Fortunately we aren't this naive. We've had our fair share of duds who we gave a fair shot and they couldn't hack it in the home. We have either found a place where they fit as a strictly commercial night work cleaner or an as needed helper for when we get slammed with rugs or water.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Just finished watching the big internet radio show on TV! It was really good. Sounds like Jordan is a far cry from the hacks our industry is flooded with.

Tom mentioned "giftedness". It's something Mel and I talk about a lot. I know I'm not gifted in some ways other guys are. I think we would all do well to maximize our own strengths and I need to remember not to poke someone in the eye because they aren't like me.

I could get pretty excited about growing my biz, if I can stay on the truck at least a little. It's what I'm best at. Cleaning and face to face customer interaction. I love it and it gets me charged up.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Tom and likewise multiple van owners, have the secret belief (to which they will never publicly admit, almost religious like.) That given enough time and the right manual, they can turn any limping foul mouthed Chihuahua into a sweet talking, blaze selling Julia Roberts. They just can't help it. It's what makes them adorable.

Fortunately we aren't this naive. We've had our fair share of duds who we gave a fair shot and they couldn't hack it in the home. We have either found a place where they fit as a strictly commercial night work cleaner or an as needed helper for when we get slammed with rugs or water.

Well....
In that case I may need to alter the deal and remove the "adorable".
Pray I don't alter it any further :yoda: :winky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom