Why Sapphire Scientific?

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Hub' started by Lee Stockwell, Dec 11, 2009.

1. -JB-
    -JB-

Name:
    JB
    Yes, yes it was. :roll:
  2. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Vortex will live and prosper, trust me.

but it wont be your father's Vortex that's for sure.
  3. Walt
    Walt

Why do you feel that way Stevie? What evidence did you formulate that opinion on?[/quote:bo7y1eto]

I hate to say it Shawn, but the website has suffered. The pictures of the interiors are no longer current. The updated panel picture on the options pages looks like it was cut out with a pair of scissors. It looks like someone abandoned it. Don't mean to sound petty, but the person who buys a Vortex cares about small details.
  4. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    Our industry could learn a bit from the automotive industry. Let's look at GM:

I bought a new Saturn in 2000. I bought into the promise that GM wasn't dedicated to keeping. It was a great car, the buying experience was extraordinary, and the dealer was first rate. Of course I won't buy another new one. It wasn't the economy, it was GM management's fumble. Lack of focus.

Prior to that I had four SAABs, three 900s that I loved. The engineering was quirky and genius. The Saturn actually shared a number of SAAB design elements. Of course I won't ever buy another new SAAB either. Again, due to GM management dropping the ball. "The bottleneck is always at the top".

"Economy of scale" is often the mantra of managment as they acquire brands and develop new labels. Usually doesn't happen because of the inevitable lack of focus.

Ford seems to be the only US based mfg to "get it", although a few heads had to roll to make that happen.

In our industry Butler is one of a very few that "gets it".

Thanks,
    Lee
  5. rick imby
    rick imby

Name:
    Rick
    Filling up the dealerships. If they can pressure the local distys to carry all of their lines then the distys will drop the other brands.

They cannot go direct like Butler with only one of their lines because the dealers they have would blackball their other lines.

They cannot go direct with all of their lines because the relationships they have with the distibutor network they have built.

You seem to be alluding to direct sales but most CCers are scared to be left alone with their machines.

Butler has cured that with simple designs that do not change and industry leading customer support. (10 year warranty--they must be idiots).

The margins are much better for the manufacturer in the direct model like Butler but trying to shift to that model from the current model would cause way too much disruption in their distribution. The Direct model does have higher expenses also.

Does Butler have a lot more margin built into their product than say Judson?

If Judson added a 5 year parts warranty and added $2000 to the price of his unit would he sell more units and make more money?

The 15 to 40% that the local Disty makes adds a lot to the price of the units.

Guessing is all I am good for.

Rick
  6. rick imby
    rick imby

Name:
    Rick

I did not know anyone who ever bought a Saab after having had one.

This explains a lot Ivebeensold
  7. Greenie
    Greenie

Rick is one smart dude.

I offered the Platinum $2500 extended warranty with all new TNTs....just nobody thought they needed it....cause it was a Jud (run forever) son.

And yes...the Industry is full of a lot of tools.
  8. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    Ah, a little like our PC405s, once you learn the quirks they were great. I bought all the SAABs used from people who who didn't understand. Last one from a college student who didn't like the AC. Needed charged.

I mentioned Ford. One of the head cheeses dropped the established "Taurus" name for "Ford 500". Mistake of course, that just confused loyal customer and diluted marketing. A clear focus on improving quality kept them in business.

Butler's model will work for a distributor-oriented manufacturer. Forget the plethora of overlapping models and focus on simple quality.

Butler used to have a few distributors...but that's another thread.
  9. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    We are in for Another interesting few years.
    Matt Wood and Mikey P like this.
  10. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    yeah, and dont trust me....
  11. dealtimeman
    dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.

Name:
    Michael

Sometimes we don't get it all right do we?
    hogjowl, Chris A and Matt Wood like this.
  12. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    yeah well, it aint often..
    Lee Stockwell and dealtimeman like this.
  13. dealtimeman
    dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.

Name:
    Michael
    Damn and I remember all this like it was weeks ago, time goes too fast, way too fast.
    Mikey P likes this.
  14. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    And it wasn't very interesting back then either.
    Kevin De Medeiros likes this.
  15. NobleCarpetCleaners
    NobleCarpetCleaners

Name:
    Noble Carpet Cleaners
    Interesting was one Prochem guy in the announcement video claimed he didn't know what to expect when he came to work that day. Acquisitions mean change change change. If I punched a clock at Prochem these days I'd be saying yes sir and yes mam; and polish up my resume. Hell I'd do that these days no matter what corporation I worked for. My remaining close friends at Cessna are barely hanging on to get to retirement.

With 12 years remaining I still only care about reliable; squirt/suck/dump. Sapphire in their infinite wisdom did not include White Magics slide-in line when they picked up the PTO machine from them and then totally re-engineered it. Why not?, their slide-ins were selling all over the country. They too just needed some well thought design tweeks. Shi.., given Sapphires fancy factory it would have been easy for them. Prochem on the other hand is known world-wide. Corporate profitability becomes the driving force as you grow and grow. I can't say for sure but I smell a public traded stock here. When there's a public traded stock you're sailing in blue water, profits.
    Got my WM commander all re-engineered in the heat exchanger realm and purring. Hope my 370 gets me more then half way to the finish line.
    Lee Stockwell and Mikey P like this.
  16. dealtimeman
    dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.

Name:
    Michael
    Rpm is a publicly traded company. And yes just like us they like money too.
  17. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    RPM and Bill Bruders/Legends treat their employees very very well.
  18. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    You looking for a job?
  19. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    and they all think they are premium carpet cleaners.
  20. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay

Like you and every one else here, we're unhireable.

The true definition of an Entrepreneur..