2.5" Hose

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I don't think air VELOCITY in those two hoses is the most important metric. It's more important, I think, to get the air to flow without restriction. The blower is going to provide a certain amount of force, regardless. Think about it like trying to move a fixed volume of air in a fixed amount of time. If you're using two hoses, it's going to be easier than just using one. You'll have to double the airspeed in order to get it through the one hose, in the same amount of time.

If that doesn't make a lot of sense, think about trying to drink a milkshake. Someone used this example in a different thread I posted a couple of weeks ago. You walk into the milkshake shop, and they give you that big ass straw to drink it through...but you pull out a coffee stirrer you've been saving JUST for this occasion. It's gonna be a LOT of work to get that milkshake up through that coffee stirrer, but BY GOD, you've been looking forward to this, right? That makes my head hurt, just thinking about it...so let's talk about my experience with this.

I called Legend and was talking to Scott Harlib about this, awhile back, and there's another thread it gets discussed in, here. It's more important to have as little restriction in the vacuum line as possible, and this is determined by looking at the vacuum gauge on your machine. With my waste tank lid off, I get NO lift (in/Hg) on the gauge, and this is because there's no restriction on the airflow into the blower. I've taken various measurements and will list them below. I run a pre-Prochem buyout Sapphire 570, and it's got the helical blower. I'm gonna shamelessly plug Sapphire for a minute, and tell you that it's a SOLID single wand machine. I've had it for 5 years, and am super happy with it.

• Through 2” port: 3.5 in/Hg
  • Through 2.5” port: 1 in/Hg
  • 2” port w/filter: 4.7 in/Hg
  • 2” port, filter, 1 section Jon-Don hose: 7.5 in/Hg
  • 2.5 port, 1 section 2.5”: 3.5 in/Hg
  • 2.5” port, 1 section 2.5”, 1 section 2" Jon-Don hose : 6.5 in/Hg
  • Add filter to above: 7 in/Hg
  • 2.5" port, 1 section 2.5", transition to 2" hose and add filter about 1 foot into the 2" hose: 5 in/Hg
  • Add Dev wand : 7 in/Hg
  • 2.5” port, 2.5 hose to filter. 1 section 2” hose: 6.8 in/Hg
  • Add wand whip: 7 in/Hg
  • Add Dev wand: 8 in/Hg
I'll close by saying that with the addition of the 2.5" hose, my dry times have improved to a degree I didn't even realize was possible.

The same reason I run 2.5... the same reason I run standard cuffs w/ 18/10 stainless links....
AIRFLOW IS KING!!!!
You will get better airflow with flash cuffs

Joseph225

The same reason I run 2.5... the same reason I run standard cuffs w/ 18/10 stainless links....
AIRFLOW IS KING!!!!
Give me a pic of what you're talking about. I'd been considering something like teflon tape where the cuffs go on the hose, but you're talking about stainless links, and I'm confused.
I get all that, but is there a noticeable difference on a 100’ hose run?
Look at the 4th and the 10th bullet point on the post I made with the measurements. There's more restriction from the 2" port, with my filter and 1 section of hose than there is from the 2.5" port, with 1 section of 2.5" hose, the filter, and another section of 2" hose. As such, I say that yes, there IS a noticeable difference.

Name
Jeff T
Give me a pic of what you're talking about. I'd been considering something like teflon tape where the cuffs go on the hose, but you're talking about stainless links, and I'm confused.

Look at the 4th and the 10th bullet point on the post I made with the measurements. There's more restriction from the 2" port, with my filter and 1 section of hose than there is from the 2.5" port, with 1 section of 2.5" hose, the filter, and another section of 2" hose. As such, I say that yes, there IS a noticeable difference.
Joe, I use standard grey cuffs. To ‘link them’ together, instead of using the plastic barbed links, I use a piece of cut, thin wall, stainless 18/10....
here’s why: measuring the inside diameter of said barbed links, you’d be surprised at how it chokes down....
So, every 50’, you’ve got a choke point....
Well, I use snap cuffs you say? Well, even worse...
Case in point- run 200’ of hose. Block off the end of the vac line, walk down the line to each connector, and tell me how much ‘air’ is being lost...
Anywho- I’m going to the shop to do some rugs in about 2 hrs, I’ll snap some pics, and illustrate my point....

Reactions: Joseph225

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
For the average carpet cleaner, it doesn't really matter. You'll hear one say they they get the carpets dry in 4 hours. The next one will say because I use 2.5 inch hose, it dries in 3 hours and 45 minutes. On runs over 150 feet there is a benefit but otherwise it's just a pain in the neck.

Reactions: Jimmy L
Name
Jeff T
You will get better airflow with flash cuffs
Nope, sorry Ron, I’ve run them, and totally disagree with this statement....
And have run ‘cuff links’ aswell from my tee...
I’ll mail all the crap I’ve tried for free...
Cause I sure as fook am never going to use them again..
They all leak air like a broken Mickey D’s straw...
The highest airflow I’ve experienced, is with the system I’m running now....
ZERO AIR LEAKS...
Unless ALL the flash cuffs I had were faulty....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it's all anecdotal and subjective til water out and recovered is measured

airflow volume fizzicks thru a straight straw and wind-o-meters don't tell the tale either.
'cause water changes all the calc's

til someone can show measurable recovery difference, the rest is just words

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

airflow volume fizzicks thru a straight straw and wind-o-meters don't tell the tale either.

..L.T.A.
Yea but it sure does help sell 2.5 inch hose.

All the lemmings have some collecting dust in their garage. Frustrated whether the squeeze is worth the juice.

Reactions: Jimmy L
Name
Jeff T
Whatever..... I know what I know, IDGAS what anybody else does, I know what works for me and my business....
It took me all of ONE WEEK to stop using a 1.5 whip hose...
Sure, it’s easier to use, but the results sucked...
I realized that after all of 5 days of work...
I’ll keep running the system I do, and everyone keep do what they do....

shouldershrug....

now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Reactions: Joseph225

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Whatever..... I know what I know, IDGAS what anybody else does, I know what works for me and my business....
It took me all of ONE WEEK to stop using a 1.5 whip hose...
Sure, it’s easier to use, but the results sucked...
I realized that after all of 5 days of work...
I’ll keep running the system I do, and everyone keep do what they do....

shouldershrug....

now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Easy there Francis, I don't understand whips either.

Name
Jeff T
Has to be guys with light schedules the have time to fool around tweeking instead of cleaning.

How much faster will it dry? How much time does it take to setup per job?
An hour early to work everyday, and an hr after, to clean van, tools, and do any minor repairs, fill chems, take stock, etc... isn’t that what all of you do???
Didn’t think so...
‘Success rewards those willing to work for it’.... Franky..

Name
Jeff T
can't count on that answer being right either
cause mosts' definition of dry around here, ain't

...L.T.A.
That statement I totally agree with...
We are doing a job on the 28th, ( my birthday, boo), and the lady told us the ‘last guy’ would take a full day, and she’s concerned it won’t be dry for them to open on the 2nd....
what the actual F¥CK was he doing that was taking 5 DAYS TO DRY?!?!?!?... wow.
Sometimes, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel.....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Nope, sorry Ron, I’ve run them, and totally disagree with this statement....
And have run ‘cuff links’ aswell from my tee...
I’ll mail all the crap I’ve tried for free...
Cause I sure as fook am never going to use them again..
They all leak air like a broken Mickey D’s straw...
The highest airflow I’ve experienced, is with the system I’m running now....
ZERO AIR LEAKS...
Unless ALL the flash cuffs I had were faulty....
Your blower can handle minor air leaks. The flash cuffs have less turbulence than standard cuffs, even with your slim jims in them.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
taking 5 DAYS TO DRY?!?!?!?...

1608166481437.png

LTA

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You never lived through the owner operator days
You spoiled bitch
Dude I was born with a wand in my hand. Oh never mind, that only felt like a wand.

I started out the vacuum guy, my father shampooed and I vacuumed it up afterwards.
I some how survived cleaning with portables as our primary machines. Ran our first TM from age 16 for several decades. I spent more time behind a wand than behind a desk. It was just the last 20-years I was chained to a desk.

BITCH!
🤭

Joseph225

..L.T.A.
I don't know that this qualifies as legitimately "quantifiable", but prior to this I was rubbing my hand across the carpet after a dry pass, and when I rubbed fingers against my thumb, it could take anywhere from 3-6 seconds for them to dry.

Now it MIGHT be a second, and it's dry.

That's a measurement of that, to an extent. *shrugs*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom