About Scotchgard...

FredC

Village Idiot
Anyone remember the Kenadian that proposed blower exhaust heat pushed through a rotary to speed-dry installed carpet after cleaning?

Ken Harris?

Cobb (maybe others)made one

Reactions: The Great Oz

steve_64

Maybe I missed it but don't you have to use a good acid rinse to get protector to attach properly.
Getting the carpet properly clean and prepped would be my guess why there is inconsistency in application. Much easier to do when carpet is new.
The few times I have used it in traffic lanes I have seen a difference when going back the following year. I believe it helps but I talk some out of it too because of the situation.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Maybe I missed it but don't you have to use a good acid rinse to get protector to attach properly.
Getting the carpet properly clean and prepped would be my guess why there is inconsistency in application. Much easier to do when carpet is new.
The few times I have used it in traffic lanes I have seen a difference when going back the following year. I believe it helps but I talk some out of it too because of the situation.
Acid rinsing has nothing to do with protectors bonding. More complete rinsing, meaning not leaving detergent residue behind may help.

steve_64

It was something I read somewhere lol.

Something about it bonding better when it's in an acidic state versus neutral or alkaline.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
This is how I know Protector works. A long time ago I cleaned a Chinese restaurant in Santa Barbara. I required they use a protector every 3rd tome we cleaned it so once a year.
One year the Owner told us he wouldn't pay extra for protector the next time we cleaned it. So I told him after this time then...we are done. I had my guy take the protector and write Pruitt with if at the entry before we left. Guess what happened.
He called and said I wrote Pruitt in his restaurant. Yes it works.
We continued cleaning the place for a couple more years until he got in trouble bringing in workers from China.

It's a great add on service that sells itself. If you aren't at the very least letting your Customer know that you offer a fabric protector if they would care for an estimate...that's my entire sales speech... you are missing a great profit center for your BUSINESS.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
........... In EVERY case, (nylon, wool, hotel lobby, office or restaurant) the protected carpet looked better at the next scheduled cleaning and cleaned up far more easily than the carpet that relied on what was left of the mill application.
I respectfully disagree.

I used to offer Teflon to many of my clients. Good rinsing and proper application including brushing it in......and all that jazz.

Beside the health disadvantage of another bad polymer in their home, I did not find a significant difference in performance, same carpet year after year (including my home),between applying and not applying. Not per the ease of cleaning and re-soiling afterwards and not with stain resistance.

Baked in or not (I love baked goods), and no doubt that with large companies it is a significant addition to their profit, I could not justify offering it.

One man/one truck experience.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I know Bryon is one sharp cookie
I do wonder though...how much he personally cleans to see the results he speaks of.
I'm also curious if his techs get a percentage of protectant sales

..L.T.A.

steve_64

This is how I know Protector works. A long time ago I cleaned a Chinese restaurant in Santa Barbara. I required they use a protector every 3rd tome we cleaned it so once a year.
One year the Owner told us he wouldn't pay extra for protector the next time we cleaned it. So I told him after this time then...we are done. I had my guy take the protector and write Pruitt with if at the entry before we left. Guess what happened.
He called and said I wrote Pruitt in his restaurant. Yes it works.
We continued cleaning the place for a couple more years until he got in trouble bringing in workers from China.

It's a great add on service that sells itself. If you aren't at the very least letting your Customer know that you offer a fabric protector if they would care for an estimate...that's my entire sales speech... you are missing a great profit center for your BUSINESS.
I love this story.

But you say a ling time ago so I wonder how things may have changed.
I do think it helps in certain situations.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
But you say a ling time ago so I wonder how things may have changed.
I do think it helps in certain situations.
I'm just saying I wouldn't be cleaning a Chinese restaurant now and if I did I wouldn't write my name on the carpet. Something young Bob did... but I knew that would happen... just as I know it works and makes a difference now. Wax your car after you wash it? Do you like your business to have a profit center as easy as spraying something down? Your family deserves for you to be rewarded for all the hard work you do. Long time ago because I'm 64 and I was probably 30 or younger then.

steve_64

That's my analogy. It's like the difference between just washing your car and washing and waxing. It's added protection and helps it last longer.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Has anyone here used those hot fusion bonnet machines?
I'm not sure how much heat they actually generate but see them 2nd hand from time to time, work your protector in well with heat

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
ok, out of all those applying protector, how many of you have all 8 types of protectors on the truck at all times.

Thats crazy
We carry two. Water based for carpet and solvent based for upholstered furniture. And one more in the plant for the rare metallic or hand printed/painted fabrics.
I know Bryon is one sharp cookie
Thanks, but maybe just observant, or smart enough to find the easiest way to get something done. That's why I participate here. You guys drop little gold nuggets all of the time.
I do wonder though...how much he personally cleans to see the results he speaks of.
I cleaned all of our bigger accounts in my first ten years in the biz; Boeing, Weyerhaeuser, Nordstrom and others. Often one or more of the other techs would bail and leave me with a hell of a lot of work to do. Since I was not a full-time tech at that time, I also got to do all of the jobs that the full-time guys didn't want - the trashed restaurants and shipping company offices. So... I've cleaned lots and lots of carpet. I still clean some residential if we're in a really stupid bind, and showed our plant guys how to clean a really nasty poly boat rug yesterday. (We don't typically see that type of carpet in-plant.)
I'm also curious if his techs get a percentage of protectant sales
Our techs are paid 25% of the job total, so if they add protectant they get 25% of the additional invoiced amount. On-location we sell some protectant on about 30% of the cleaning jobs. We often protect only portions of the job though, so on a given job we may protect only the entry hall and stairs or the family and dining rooms. We charge 21 cents psf.

Our guys that take in rugs get 10% of protectant sales, and we sell protectant on just under 80% of rug cleaning.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
[QUOTE="The Great Oz, post: 4669873, member: 40428" That's why I participate here. You guys drop little gold nuggets all of the time.

I
[/QUOTE]

They are indeed nuggets but much more brown than gold. Sorta like the lawn chocolates my dog likes to drop on the lawn. No mess though. I doodoo bag them up before his asshole snaps shut.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I'm impressed how well you pay your techs Bryan. I know Seattle is nearly as expensive as it is here and you'll get loyalty by treating your money makers fairly.

Reactions: Mikey P

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'm impressed how well you pay your techs Bryan. I know Seattle is nearly as expensive as it is here and you'll get loyalty by treating your money makers fairly.
We do recognize that this is hard work, combined with customers that expect a lot. Our guys make enough to buy a house and raise a family, but if they live in Seattle they bought before the current boom.

That's part of a high pay rate. The whole high income customer/high cost of living/higher charges for services in a business-hot city tie together.

40 miles south is a more working class city, and everything there costs less than 75% compared to Seattle. If we were in that territory cleaning charges and tech wages there would also be lower as our operating costs would be lower.

PS: People move here looking for high-paying jobs, and then find out they would have been further ahead making less wherever they're from.

Tom Forsythe

PS: The rugs dry in a 130F dry room. so maybe the rugs get baked-on protector.
I was talking about this with my top guru on fluoro-chemical. He says that the benefit from heat comes more from the drying than the application. He also said that protectors that focus on surface repellency benefit the most. We talked about rug dry rooms and he said that the prolonged exposure to heat orients the fluoro-polymer to the surface enhancing surface repellency. In short, the dry room does improve performance over drying at room temperature. I have a lab oven that I can set to 130 degrees F, so when I have some time I will test the difference between drying at 130 degrees F vs. room temperature. We will see if the performance difference is significant or not.

Tom Forsythe

As with most tests they lead to further tests. No noticeable difference in water or oil repellency from applying Advanced Protector with Teflon with tap water and with hot water simulating Hydroforce. I received more information about Dupont's testing with HydroForce application. The primary focus was on the safety of application, which prompted them to support use of the HydroForce in applying protectors.

However, heat drying nylon, simulating rug dry rooms, for two days significantly improved water repellency over room temperature drying. This difference will need more testing over different types of protectors for wool. I am not sure when I will get more time to do more testing.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
The only protectors I use is maxim advanced and maxim fine fabric. That's all I need.
Random question, but can you leave maxim advanced mixed up in a sprayer? Will it still be effective and will it dry out in the sprayer/clog the lines or anything like that?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Random question, but can you leave maxim advanced mixed up in a sprayer? Will it still be effective and will it dry out in the sprayer/clog the lines or anything like that?
I never leave it in a sprayer. After using, dump any excess and rinse the sprayer. Others may do it differently.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
I never leave it in a sprayer. After using, dump any excess and rinse the sprayer. Others may do it differently.
Awesome thanks for the reply. So how much would you recommend using for a small job? Approximately 64sq ft area rug? It’s my first time applying protectant so I’m trying not to go overkill haha

Mikey P

Administrator
This demonstrates the great advantage of a forum over facebook. A participant can search topics and find relevant information a year later. Boy does time fly, it seems like yesterday when I did all of these heat tests.
The best analogy I can make is to compare forum like this to a library

and Facebook to a magazine rack....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom