Am I an idiot for buying this?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
For the record. I use the stuff all the time and kick it in with my shoe. Yes, sometimes I ever rub it in with my fingers. I'm fine. You guys act like you're going to burst into flames. I try not to touch it, but sometimes you just gotta stick your hand in the deep fryer to save the dropped Baconator.

Last edited:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
For the record. I use the stuff all the time and kick it in with my shoe. Yes, sometimes I ever rub it in with my fingers. I'm fine. You guy act like you're going to burst into flames. I try not to touch it, but sometimes you just gotta stick your hand in the deep fryer to save the dropped Baconator.
Is that what happend with your missing nail?..

Willy P

Name
Willy P
For the record. I use the stuff all the time and kick it in with my shoe. Yes, sometimes I ever rub it in with my fingers. I'm fine. You guy act like you're going to burst into flames. I try not to touch it, but sometimes you just gotta stick your hand in the deep fryer to save the dropped Baconator.

If you really rub it with your fingers you're a damn foolish idiot. There is no way to put it nicely and to any who are less experienced and read this thread DO NOT follow that "advice". It's plastic poor . I really hope you were joking Damon. If not you're a complete buffoon. And I'm no fooking wimp. That kind of shitty advice could cost some newer cleaners a finger or 2 and reaĺy pisses me off. What a jerk off thing to say.

Reactions: ruff

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
If you really rub it with your fingers you're a damn foolish idiot. There is no way to put it nicely and to any who are less experienced and read this thread DO NOT follow that "advice". It's plastic poor . I really hope you were joking Damon. If not you're a complete buffoon. And I'm no fooking wimp. That kind of shitty advice could cost some newer cleaners a finger or 2 and reaĺy pisses me off. What a jerk off thing to say.
You’ll feel better tomorrow. Just use common sense. I’m just saying i have had it contact my skin and I didn’t burst into flames. You won’t find me flushing my eyes out with it. Oh, and it works great on rust.

Reactions: BradFenstermaker

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Does it defend against idiot jerk off posts? I learned my common sense the hard way. Go have 2 fingernails cut off and both fingers cut open to the bone and then tell me I don't use common sense in telling others not to do what me and 99% of the others who posted on this thread about not contacting it with your skin. Nope. I'm right on the money.

Reactions: ruff

FredC

Village Idiot
Does it defend against idiot jerk off posts? I learned my common sense the hard way. Go have 2 fingernails cut off and both fingers cut open to the bone and then tell me I don't use common sense.
Willy,

Just curious, was this Whink or a stronger product?

Edit: I wasn't going to ask lest people think you can wash your hands in Whink

Reactions: Fat Mike

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Does it defend against idiot jerk off posts? I learned my common sense the hard way. Go have 2 fingernails cut off and both fingers cut open to the bone and then tell me I don't use common sense in telling others not to do what me and 99% of the others who posted on this thread about not contacting it with your skin. Nope. I'm right on the money.
Me too, but not from Whink.

image.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Reynolds rust out for carpets. If whink is a dumbed down version it's still a dangerous calcium seeking acid.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I use caution when using it. But there have been times where I just pressed on without gloves and was fine. I just get tired of people yelling the sky is falling. Whats next? Are we going to get a 15 page thread about the dangers of using a UV light without sunglasses and welding goggles? Sometimes the beam of light makes contact with my skin.

Yes, I agree that chems should never contact our skin, except for the sweet nitrates of bacon.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I
and Damon obviously dgaf what condition his hands are in.........

don't be like Damon
Can't post from my cell phone but look up whink rust stain remover ads and the sheet will come up. It is a hydrafloric acid. It will cause severe burns according to the sds sheet which may not be felt immediately. It will leach calcium from your bones. Not a product to take lightly. All hydrofluoric acid rust removers are dangerous and should be handled with care.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I

Can't post from my cell phone but look up whink rust stain remover ads and the sheet will come up. It is a hydrafloric acid. It will cause severe burns according to the sds sheet which may not be felt immediately. It will leach calcium from your bones. Not a product to take lightly. All hydrofluoric acid rust removers are dangerous and should be handled with care.
I also used to work on a concrete crew. Got that stuff all over me. That stuff will dry you out fast.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I also used to work on a concrete crew. Got that stuff all over me. That stuff will dry you out fast.
Concrete work uses muriactic acid. Very similar. I used to make my own rust remover from muriatic acid and water. One day I ran out of my mix so I thought I would just put pure muriatic acid on these three little rust stains and rinse right away. I went glop, glop, glop with the muriatic and immediately the carpet started smoking. Even though I rinsed right away, I had 3 little holes in the carpet. To this day, that building manager tells his tenants,"get Ron to clean your carpets. He really gets the rust stains out."

Reactions: Nomad74

FredC

Village Idiot
I

i know...my very first post says that

that doesn't change the fact that there are stronger products out there.

I'm saying that the stuff Willy was using, like erusticator, was likely considerably stronger explaining the difference between the two experiences

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Thanks for the visuals Fred. Maybe that might prevent some newby from hurting themselves. But sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Whink, Adco, Erusticator, Reynolds (old version) etc. all appear to be approximately the same strength. Which is why they work immediately. All are dangerous and need to be rinsed. Yes, Matt, it will work on wool. You are better off to try the new rust removers. Might be a little more work sometimes, but much safer. Can you imagine the liability if a little kid got into your rust remover.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Damon
You’re not stupid
Fat and ugly
But not stupid
Awww shucks. I’m sending you a custom screwdriver.

I’m in agreement acid is never good on the skin. My experience with Whink is wash your hands and flush the carpet and you’ll be fine. I’ve had way more damage done to my hands from lye in tile prespray. That stuff caused awful splits in my finger tips. As for being cautious if a child gets into it, it carries the same general liability if a child walks into our TM while its running and gets chewed up by the belts. We are professionals and should always exercise caution.

FredC

Village Idiot
Whink, Adco, Erusticator, Reynolds (old version) etc. all appear to be approximately the same strength. Which is why they work immediately. All are dangerous and need to be rinsed. Yes, Matt, it will work on wool. You are better off to try the new rust removers. Might be a little more work sometimes, but much safer. Can you imagine the liability if a little kid got into your rust remover.
I'm having difficulty finding the old msds for erusticator/reynolds/etc but what I do find seems to indicate they contain more HF than whink

whink
https://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/1261.pdf

erusticator
https://www.fabricleansupply.com/msds/0071.pdf

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
they all seem to contain from 1%-3.5% hf acid. They don't give you the exact amount as it may be a trade secret. Either way, if you want to agitate with your fingers, you're a dumb f....k. You won't feel the burn right away and by the time you wash your hands, it's too late. Some people value their health more than others.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
No need for gloves unless your wife insists you sit down to pee like a girl. In that case, you probably should use protective eye wear as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom