Am I the only one?

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I was just wondering if I'm the only one that hates or is just tired of cleaning upholstery? We get a ton of calls for it and I for one can't stand cleaning a lot of the fabrics like, canvas, linen, etc...just such a PITA and back/ shoulder breaking. Just a rant today after doing some I hated!

Name
Nate W.
Not at all... We make 3x the money over carpet cleaning... We charge between $25-50LF depending upon the fabric... What I dislike is the correcting the humidity spots on white fabrics... You know the orange spots, you find on a cotton dress shirt after hanging in your closet for 5+years...

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Work is Work but, I would rather be doing something else. It’ boring more than anything else. Most of the time I start to space out and forget what has already been cleaned so, I clean it again. I do less and less upholstery every year ever since the economy went into a death spiral. My upholstery cleaning price is 10% to 20% of replacement cost carpet cleaning is only around 3% to 7% of replacement. when they start to make wall to wall carpet in china, we are all fooked.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I like microfober and herculon all day easy peasy delicates skirts loads of cushions not so much.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I hated it at first also.
It is a lot more tolerable since I :

Learned more about it and how to do it properly.
Spent some money on the some good tools to make it easier and faster.
Most importantly.................CHARGE ENOUGH!!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I love cleaning upholstery.

I disagree with the "back-breaking" bit.

Learn to clean without bending so much.

We lay out mattress covers on the floor and place the furniture on those to clean,.

I'll lay the sofa on it's back and put the covers on the floor, bunched up a bit where they touch the sofa.

Then I'll roll the sofa forward and put a very small stool under the back of the sofa, then pull the rest of the mattress covers back past the sofa.

Remove the stool and put the sofa down again.

If you have a helper, you can do away with the stool at times.

It's also handy to sit on and clean certain areas.

Pre-spray the entire suite and scrub with an orbital polisher and pad or brushes.

Lift the rear and put the stool under again, then clean the outside back and side panels.

Remove stool and put under front kick panel, clean the lower front and front arms.

Go to the back and clean the inside back while it is still angled back.

Remove stool and clean seats and arms.

Groom &/or wipe with towel if needed.

Your back will thank you.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I tolerate doing upholstery, but I do it. not good on your back especially if your over 6'.(No offense shorty)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you hate doing something...Stop doing it.

Do something else to make up for it. :clap:

I always dreaded doing upholstery. I generally charged enough to make them say no.

This is in no way, shape or form related to...Well...You know. :icon_redface:

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I lay it on its face to do the back and on its back to do the face below the deck. If its super heavy then I don't lean it back and forth but most time I do. I lean over the back from behind the piece to do the back and that seems to help. What helped the most is buying a table that is the right height to set cushions and pillows on for cleaning. To keep from forgetting and having to re-clean a section I have a chant that goes like this. Side one part one, side one part two, etc. until the cushion/pillow is done. Then onto side two part one etc. until it's completely done.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I love cleaning upholstery, still to this day I'd prefer upholstery over carpet cleaning. It's gotten so much easier than back in the day when it was my job for 10-years. Tools like the Drimaster made it so much easier and in the last few the Sapphire has even improved on that. No more splatter from the jet spraying against non absorbent fabrics, lighter weight, it's just easier now.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't like it much. It's better suited for women and effeminate males. Certainly not manly work. Long time ago, I started charging a good bit more to do it because I don't like it. It's helped make me enjoy it a little more, but I still dread the calls for it.

I am going to try a better upholstery tool as soon as Jim Martin buys my titanium wand.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Definitely adds a lot to job $ and using 2 man crews it increases $ per hour generated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't like it much. It's better suited for women and effeminate males. Certainly not manly work. Long time ago, I started charging a good bit more to do it because I don't like it. It's helped make me enjoy it a little more, but I still dread the calls for it.

I am going to try a better upholstery tool as soon as Jim Martin buys my titanium wand.
Marty if I haven't told you recently.............................you're an *ss!!! :razz:

" women and effiminate males" :lol:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
There isn't many- it seems like- that don't hate cleaning upholstery...

I went thru multiple tools. All kinds of jet outside, inside, configurations, had the kinetic with and without glide, prochem uph tool, worked with 3 different drimasters and the sapphire tool too...NOT ONE MAKES ME LIKE DOING IT. Although I found the the most fun was working with the latest drimaster mainly on microfiber.

When carpet cleaning is busy I tend to "raise" prices on upholstery hoping they won't want it. :icon_razz: but if they still want it....well good- I make better money.

Last edited:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I don't like it much. It's better suited for women and effeminate males. Certainly not manly work.

Now Marty, you don't know me, but I originally came from the Manly (NSW) area.

Have I told you lately that I L**E you??

I'll give you effeminate..... :D :lol: :lol:

Doc, I also use a camp table with extendible legs to suit my height, (being somewhat under 6' :D) to clean the cushions.

The table folds in the center and opens up to nearly 4' long, this enables me to clean any chaise cushions on it easily.

Other tools I use are Gary H Heacocks "sofa lifter" which also saves the back, and various size skidders.

My favourite tools are the HydroKinetic and the Sapphire, depending on the fabric.

I sold my DriMaster 2, but kept my original white DriMaster, smaller and more reliable, plus an old Hi-Dry for particular jobs that I use with my spotter).

I also have the Rotobic Dome for mattresses and room dividers.

:very_drunk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

spotman123

Name
Wayne foster
I hate cleaning uph only when the customer schedules carpet and uph and moves all the uph to be cleaned into the kitchen and there is no room to work..

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I think the reason i like doing upholstery is because i am so dam good at it and it exentuates my artistic talents. Oh come to think about it my main helper cleans a lot of the uph i get maybe that is why i like it so much.lol

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Once you raise the price to match or exceed what you're making cleaning carpet, you'll like it a lot better.

And.....
You'll feel a lot better about the ones who are not willing to pay what you charge.

It's a win win situation.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I like cleaning upholstery, and the occasional challenging pieces. With the right tools and techniques it is easy.

Definately LOVE the new Sapphire tool.

Similar to above comments I use both portable tables and short sawhorses to make it easier. Quartz lights on a stand improve quality control, and of course lots of white towels.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
We do have the tools ( dri masters ) dual TMs and charge at least $100 for sofas and $200 for sectionals. I personally have done this for 18 years now and most don't take to long, but I still HATE upholstery! Yes, those few that are just dream cleaners are great! But the canvas, linens, etc.. Really suck! I am getting to the point of charging so much that either we won't do them or I at least I can endure it. Maybe $175 per sofa. I just don't want our clients having to go elsewhere and possibly defect, if you know what I mean?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Since I've gotten the hydrokinetic tool with the teflon glide cleaning uph is much more enjoyable. Taking the courses takes away the "fear" of cleaning. It can be very tedious work, unless you clean it like some I've heard about, but I have a small portable table for cleaning cushions and keep aware of my posture. Many people don't want to have their furn cleaned at even $20-25LF...fine, I don't have to clean it. But I do enough every year to keep proficient.

SOME cleaner will clean the furniture and chances are they can clean carpet too. So if its a price issue, that cleaner will probably be a cheap cleaner, If you don't want to clean it because its a challenging fabric, you'll prob lose the carpet as well.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Any hack can clean carpet Porkchop! (you're living proof) but it takes a true professional to clean upholstery, one with attention for detail.

Homeowners have a different concern when it comes to what they sit on vs what they walk on, if you're cleaning upholstery you should be charging a premium for it.

Doc, I also use a camp table with extendible legs to suit my height, (being somewhat under 6' :D) to clean the cushions.

The table folds in the center and opens up to nearly 4' long, this enables me to clean any chaise cushions on it easily.

Other tools I use are Gary H Heacocks "sofa lifter" which also saves the back, and various size skidders.

My favourite tools are the HydroKinetic and the Sapphire, depending on the fabric.

I sold my DriMaster 2, but kept my original white DriMaster, smaller and more reliable, plus an old Hi-Dry for particular jobs that I use with my spotter).
Having the right tool and setup helps greatly. It's much easier when you have a system for cleaning as Shorty does. Have several different tools so that you have the preferred tool for the fabric you're cleaning. We have a tote with several tools and terry towels, a drop cloth along with horsehair brushes and sea sponges. Charge enough to take your time, you'll enjoy it more!

P.S. watch out for the sharp crusty boogers!

steve_64

i use to hate cleaning upholstery but now i rather like it. especially the nasty ones. i love cleaning nasty micro fiber because its such a dramatic difference. to see the expression on a customers face and to hear thier comments as your cleaning is priceless. its usually good for several referals especially in the ghetto. and those are usually cash jobs too.

i started charging flat rates on everything and take the god with the bad. usually $75 a couch and $50 for a loveseat $35 a chair.ill do a couch and loveseat for $100 with carpets if im feeling generous. i was losing to many couches at a $100. but back then i didnt like doing them so much neither.

Mikey P

Administrator
We do just enough to keep it interesting and to brake the monotony of carpet.

We charge enough (150 to 175 for a average 3 seat sofa) to make it worthwhile

I see cleaners around town off erring a sofa, luv and chair for $99..

no thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom