Angies's List is Free - Huh?

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
What am I missing here. I was watching tv today and saw a commercial that said that Angie's List is free after 20 years. Now everyone can see the non-bias reviews. Really? Doesn't that make them a Yelp? Where's the value proposition now? It used to be in the fact that people couldn't buy there way into the program. Testimonials were non-bias because they came from paid subscribers. Now everyone is a non-bias non-paying client of AL. I'm confused (although after the FBI decision today, it is easy for me to be confused) LOL

Can someone help clear it up for me?

FredC

Village Idiot
The paywall has acted as a “barrier” that has stunted the company’s growth, said CEO Scott Durchslag on Thursday. By the third quarter, it will be history.
Unsurprisingly, the change will result in a decline in membership revenues, but that should be offset by fewer marketing dollars spent, said Angie’s List. It expects the move to result in $750 million in added revenue by 2020.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2016/03/03/angies-list-taking-down-paywall/#11c8db86199c

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
My understanding is Angie no longer owns her site. I think that a change like this would change the value of the site to Advertisers and their Visitors as well... Not for the better. Like making COSTCO a no membership store.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
There is a new CEO at Angie's and he is trying to create a profitable company out of Angie's. This includes broadening the base of customers and vendors. There will probably be more adverts. Yes it will become more like Yelp, but for higher end clientele (hopefully). Its all about the profits for the stakeholders.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
The advertising rates for us will rise to compensate. The quality of the clientele shall diminish, even more than it has since they lowered membership fees a while back.

Angie has already emulated Groupon with the Big Deals and Home Advisor with Lead Feed. Neither of which attract the quality customers Angie provided me in the good ol days.

Reactions: Fairway and TomKing

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
The advertising rates for us will rise to compensate. The quality of the clientele shall diminish, even more than it has since they lowered membership fees a while back.

Angie has already emulated Groupon with the Big Deals and Home Advisor with Lead Feed. Neither of which attract the quality customers Angie provided me in the good ol days.
I agree, but it will make them more money and that is whats important.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Angie's is sinking and their leadership is searching for anything to keep them afloat long enough to find some other suckers to buy them out.
Desperation move.

Yes it will become more like Yelp, but for higher end clientele (hopefully). Its all about the profits for the stakeholders.
Guess it depends on your locale. Angie's always pushed us to offer "discounts for members" and the biggest complaint we get from members is that we don't offer enough discounts. I thought the site was all about "members get discounts." Since we stopped paying for placement (cuz no one can pay for reviews :icon_rolleyes: ) we don't hear from them anymore.

Yelp, on the other hand, has brought us many clients that aren't looking for discounts.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
My understanding is Angie no longer owns her site. I think that a change like this would change the value of the site to Advertisers and their Visitors as well... Not for the better. Like making COSTCO a no membership store.
Angie is still involved and a major stockholder. They turned down a 512 million buy out just few months ago.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Angies Profit plan - Received this email today:

New project lead for carpet cleaning submitted on July, 07 at 3:07 CST
getting dog urine smell and stains out of a wool area rug.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I asked 'em why in blazes they were sending me job leads for $7 when I was paying for them to advertise me.

A long, annoyed silence followed...

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I asked 'em why in blazes they were sending me job leads for $7 when I was paying for them to advertise me.

A long, annoyed silence followed...

Precisely! The customers I am paying to be directed to me are being funneled / directed to lead feed.

I use to imagine Angie's List was the the good girl and Service Magic was the whore working the corner, now they are in bed together and the end of the world is near.

Name
James Marsh
This is what my sales rep said. They are changing the way they sort so if you don't pay for advertising you won't show up on the first page. I actually have the 2nd most total reviews for carpet cleaners in the Portland market. He told me they are going list all the advertisers first than the 2 closes service providers for the person searching. The first page may have 5 listing service or 20 listing service depending on how many advertisers. After the first page it's completely random on where you show up. Does not matter if you have 1 review or 600. I actually didn't sign up because I think he may be bluffing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Coastie

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
My sales rep is being really coy with me. Not sure what is what, but it will be a lot of changes that is for sure

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Stop returning calls and let him stew. Remember, he has a quota, not you and he'll start offering concessions.

I negotiated my advertising down to 25% of the rack rate. It took the rep 2 months to close the deal for me. Say no alot, remove the extra crap they try to include, dial in your territory.

This is what my sales rep said. They are changing the way they sort so if you don't pay for advertising you won't show up on the first page. I actually have the 2nd most total reviews for carpet cleaners in the Portland market. He told me they are going list all the advertisers first than the 2 closes service providers for the person searching. The first page may have 5 listing service or 20 listing service depending on how many advertisers. After the first page it's completely random on where you show up. Does not matter if you have 1 review or 600. I actually didn't sign up because I think he may be bluffing.

You never will show up on the first page unless you are a paying advertiser, no matter how strong your creds are.

Unless you are in a small market without enough paying advertisers to fill a serp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom