Any tips to improve cuff performance?

dazzle

Name
James
When Cool cuffs first came out I jumped on it seeing the benefits. I quickly went back to vinyl because the vacuum loss was so noticeable. I recently switched to flash cuffs and had to tighten the vacuum relief on the blower housing a lot. Now if I set my wand and hose up I get about 12" of lift but if I block the system at the tank I am above 20" HG.

Does anyone who has went from vinyl to Flash or any other cuffs have advice on getting the most out of them?

I know there are trade offs and loosing some vacuum is fine as long as I can make up for it at the relief valve but I would like to be able to get to at least 13" lift while cleaning. If it is not possible I will switch back to vinyl.

TIA

Mikey P

Administrator
I believe that you're probably overthinking this..

What truck mount do you run
What's your hose and filter setup
What wand and glide are you using
What are your typical dry times currently
How many dry strokes do you do perm each wet stroke
What PSI do you normally clean at
What are you using to apply your pre-spray
Do you use a rinse agent or an emulsifier

dazzle

Name
James

2-2”, Devistator 2.5” to 2”
Devistator wand and green hole glide
2-8 hrs usually but could be up to 24 depending on environmental conditions, soil and carpet type
2-4 dry/wet
400PSI
Inline sprayer
Usually fresh water sometimes acid rinse

All that said I am not taking more strokes just much slower.

Jobs are taking noticeably longer.

When I change to vinyl my same set up will go from 12” to over 15” of lift.

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
If you’re set at 15” lift, I wouldn’t waste any money on cuffs. Just stick to plain vinyl. In this business I’ve learned that if the upgrade doesn’t make your job more efficient to produce more money, then it’s not needed.

dazzle

Name
James
If you’re set at 15” lift, I wouldn’t waste any money on cuffs. Just stick to plain vinyl. In this business I’ve learned that if the upgrade doesn’t make your job more efficient to produce more money, then it’s not needed.
Hence the reason I asked for any tips to improve the performance on the cuffs. All changes need to be subject to a cost-benefit analysis. If the convenience of the cuffs does not out weigh the drop in performance then I will go back to all vinyl.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
2-2”, Devistator 2.5” to 2”
Devistator wand and green hole glide
2-8 hrs usually but could be up to 24 depending on environmental conditions, soil and carpet type
2-4 dry/wet
400PSI
Inline sprayer
Usually fresh water sometimes acid rinse

All that said I am not taking more strokes just much slower.

Jobs are taking noticeably longer.

When I change to vinyl my same set up will go from 12” to over 15” of lift.

What pre spray?

Where do you live

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I switched to flash cuffs a few years ago and although I notice some air leakage, I have better dry times than I do with vinyl cuffs. Don't worry about the lift. The increased airflow will make up for it.

hogjowl

Idiot™

It gives me flashbacks to your Greenie daze

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
Hence the reason I asked for any tips to improve the performance on the cuffs. All changes need to be subject to a cost-benefit analysis. If the convenience of the cuffs does not out weigh the drop in performance then I will go back to all vinyl.
I would just replace the plain cuffs as they wear out. 23 years doing it with those cuffs and I experimented with some Mytee cuffs, and they sealed good, but there is not difference in performance. Your problem of not getting 13" of lift isn't due to the type of cuffs you use. 12hg while the hose is connected to your wand WITHOUT it being on the carpet is a normal reading. If it's only getting 12hg while the wand is on the carpet, then your vac relief is opening up.

First thing to do: Readjust your vac settings back down to 14-15" when blocked off. 20+hg will literally cause your engine to shut off. I've witnessed that due to a bad vac gauge and my dumb ass bought a new blower thinking that was the problem before I checked the accuracy of the gauge.

Next, check to see of the glide on your wand is sealed properly to the head. If not, pull out the goop and make a mess. And check to see if the hose connecting the blower to the tank is firmly attached. I'm sure you already know that.

And finally, check the valve that lets you dump your recovery tank. It will go bad over time and let air in through that way. Put some water in your tank and see if water drips out of it

Mikey P

Administrator
Let's go back to the Jets and remind me how old they are and what flow you're running and do you hit the trigger on the forward stroke?

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I probably own 4-500' of vacuum hose.
Not a cuff on any of them.
I've always used SS thin wall tubing for connectors. (No hose reel)
Zero leaks

dazzle

Name
James
Let's go back to the Jets and remind me how old they are and what flow you're running and do you hit the trigger on the forward stroke?
they have less than 200 hrs on them

8 flow

trigger on the back stroke

I am going to set it up today and look at every variable in detail and try it without, and with 2 different glides.

I greatly appreciate all the input

• Love
Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
they have less than 200 hrs on them

8 flow

trigger on the back stroke

I am going to set it up today and look at every variable in detail and try it without, and with 2 different glides.

I greatly appreciate all the input

If you didn't find any issues...

Switch to a 4 flow Chosen wand and reap the benefits...

Reactions: jeffexe

dazzle

Name
James
"When I change to vinyl my same set up will go from 12” to over 15” of lift."
I started over and plugged the vacuum off at the tank and set the relief just above 15". I added teflon tape to the hose threads and the flash cuffs are able to hit above 14" with about 90' of hose in the sizes I stated earlier that I run. I hooked the wand up on the carpet and was only getting 12" and did not have good suction on the carpet. I made a gasket with plastic waterproof tape and am now well above 13" with great suction (carpet pulls away from the pad when I lift on the wand)

I am going to set the relief valve to open at or a hair shy of 15" and should be good to go. The gasket also stops the glide slide and if it does not hold up I will have to be a goober

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P and FredC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom