Anyone here a volunteer EMS?

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
If so I need some information.
About 6 weeks my son and I were buffing a floor with a propane machine and I was overcome by carbon monoxide. My son called 911 the EMS talked me into going to the hospital, my son rode in the back with me. I got a bill from them over $700 for me and over $600 for my son. It was a 13 mi. trip $115 mileage charge for each of us plus $600 and change for me and $500 and change for my son. Now all he did was ride there and there is no itemizing for other charges. This is comming from a third party that bills for emergency services. This is a volunteer service and I have never had to deal with anything of this nature before, I know the billing co. is adding in something for them but how much and am I wrong to ask for an itemized list for all charges?

Thanks

I have been using this machine for nearly 20 yr's in closed buildings never a problem, I guess the length of time which was longer than ever before is why and from now on I will open a door for ventilation

janitrex

Im an emt, and no it is not wrong to ask for an itemized list. If they did not treat your son and he signed a refusal then they would have had no reason to charge you, he would have just been considered a rider. Volunteer services still have to charge for services to cover fuel, medical supplies etc. What they charged you is the going rate today for ambulance transportation, expensive isnt it? Its good to hear it wasnt too bad, as carbon monoxide can actually when exposed to over a long period of time actually take the place of oxygen in the blood making it seem as if the level in the blood is 100%. You might have your machine checked out just to make sure nothing is wrong with it if it really is 20+ yrs old.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Thanks, that just seems like an awful lot. I wonder how much of that will a thallus make it back to the EMS unit?
I hope that i can negotiate some sort of a discoun, I am also looking at over $5000 in hospital charges for an overnight stay for oxygen and monitoring.
No insurance

Magic One

You should price out a fully equipped Medic van and Medic pay, plus expences. Glad to hear you and your son are ok.CO2 Kills. Been a EMT for over 35 years. But 5 grand thats crazy.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
I know that's a high $$$ rig but I would like to know how much of that money is actually going to the EMS I'd be willing to bet no more than half this is a volunteer outfit that gets my hard earned tax dollars. And it's a third party billing company that bills for them. You figure how many calls they go on in a year and if they get that much from every one that's alot of money. My main reason for posting this was to see if anyone could shed some light on the possibility of negotiating a lower fee due to the fact I don't have any insurance.

BTW the ambulance ride was only $1500 for 13 miles the rest was to the hospital. I went to an urgent care recently for something and they told me normally the charge is $208 but since I was self pay and paid then it was $104.

janitrex

Ya the $5000 for an overnight stay is obsurd. I fractured my ankle back in october and went to the ER was there little over an hour and got a bill in the mail for $1500 bucks. I have no insurance either. Set up a payment plan with them, most are pretty easy going regarding payment. As long as your paying, even a little at a time, they cant take action on you, at least from my experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom