back support

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
what do you guys use while cleaning? I have used some weight belts or like the cheapo vest thingy from Lowes..but I want something that will work well. Last thing I want is slipped/blown disks etc after a few more years. I can already feel the arthritis coming in my right hand.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
your back should be fine as long as your wanding posture is good.
However, a lot of the vids and pics I've seen suggest a lot CC'ers will have back troubles sooner or later.
Obviously proper lifting techniques while moving furniture too

no getting around repetitive motion ailments though.
For me it's my shoulders that give the most grief

..L.T.A.

Jamesh921

Name
James
I've never seen a carpet cleaner use any type of support system for their body - but maybe they should.

Most young pups don't think about how their job will affect their bodies in the future.

Big mistake.

Had I known how much my past would affect my future I would have made different choices in my past.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Posture when wanding is very important as Larry suggests, however, I would go one step further and ensure that the wand you are using works well with your height.

I believe that some of the much newer wands, you don't "scrub" so much with them anmore which should also relieve a lot of back problems.

I have an old "S" bend wand that I got from Gary Bethel about 15 years ago that is still in top condition.

The "S" bend both at the top and bottom are much sharper than the normal wands, and it is also only about 5' in length overall.

I stand upright when using it, little or no bending at all.

I also have Green Gildes on it.

Ron, what's a "wobble chair" ??

Is this similar to an "Abdoer Twister".??

Shorty.

PS::: Funny coincidence, earlier this week, my lower left disc was a bit sore, after a couple of days it transferred to my lower right.

The, it was back to my left side and last night I didn't think I'd be able to get out of the shower, the pain was so severe.

I don't do drugs, so this morning, I jerked my "Inversion Sky Hook" out of the shed and spent a few minutes on it, stretching by bones out.

Good as gold and ready for work again. !gotcha!

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Get rid of the extra weight and build up ALL the core muscles. That is the best thing you can do. I am walking proof!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Save your back:
#1 - Good technique. The easiest way I can think of to describe this is to stand up, grab the cleaning wand, hook the thumb of your back hand in your front pocket, and step back and forth to do your wand stroke. Once you get the feel of using your legs for the stroke instead of your arms you can take the thumb out of your pocket to make a (slightly) longer stroke. The suggestion of getting a wand that fits is excellent for those shorter or taller than average.

#2 - Don't lean forward or over-reach. Not only do long strokes lead to poor cleaning and poor water recovery, they can be hard on your back and absolutely destroys your shoulders.

#3 - Learn to push the wand with either hand. This promotes more balanced muscle development and switching hands during a job is like taking a break.

I know two guys that have had shoulder surgery, and both were "lean forward and push" guys. If you can't give up poor technique your only hope is to use a powerhead. Ever see anyone lean forward and push one of those? It would look just as dorky as leaning forward to push a wand.

OSHA stopped requiring or even recommending back supports, as studies have shown they offer no value. It might remind you to lift properly though.

My observation has been that cleaners can have a sore back from poor technique, but the back killer is doing dumb things while lifting. Such as: being on your knees and twisting sideways to "bump" a piece of furniture a little; lifting furniture with one hand while reaching the wand under it; lifting a full portable into a truck because cleaning it at the jobsite would take too much time...

Every time one of our guys has hurt his back, he knew he was doing something stupid.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My chiropractor uses them to help rejuvenate disks.
there's a picture of one down the page here:
http://getbackinline.wordpress.com/tag/wobble-chair/

They also have a cushion you put on a normal hard chair which allows you to "wobble". I had a long day and this post reminded me about it, sure helped my lower back which was feeling tired. Cushion is only about $50, the chair is about $900. I bought a cushion !gotcha!

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
After doing this for 30 years you become "one with the wand" and you slow down and your body talks to you! I'll be 61 next month and still going strong, Owner Operator and hardly ever use a back support. Old customers call me and ask , " are you still in Business?"

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Ron Werner said:
My chiropractor uses them to help rejuvenate disks.
there's a picture of one down the page here:
http://getbackinline.wordpress.com/tag/wobble-chair/

They also have a cushion you put on a normal hard chair which allows you to "wobble". I had a long day and this post reminded me about it, sure helped my lower back which was feeling tired. Cushion is only about $50, the chair is about $900. I bought a cushion !gotcha!

Thanks Ron, here's a (fitnes???), alternative. shiteatinggrin

http://www.danozdirect.com.au/ab-doer-twist/

Weebco, I wish I could remember 61 thathurts :lol:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Not the same motion Shorty. Those machines work the obliques, the side muscles and the core. The idea is to rock the disks which requires rocking the hips, not just a side to side motion. You can achieve a closer motion using one of those sport balls, those 2-3ft diameter balls people are using. Moving side to side while sitting on one of those will rock the hips better.

Besides, I tried on of those machines, would never buy one.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I used to do yoga to help stretch out my back...but I stopped. I just don't want to have problems when im 50..im 33.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I firmly believe that if wand glides, lift buddies and furniture sliders had been available the first 20 years of my cleaning life, I wouldn't have back troubles today.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Just simple posture and lifting correct. It's the repetitive motion that gets most! I screwed my back up in sports, surfing, etc... Now the cleaning just flares up my tweaked discs. So I have my young techs do almost all the cleaning and I am now quality control customer service guy.

Name
steve snail
AdamHale said:
Get rid of the extra weight and build up ALL the core muscles. That is the best thing you can do. I am walking proof!

Very good advice. Add a yoga practice to the equation and you will have some of the best preventive medicine out there.

namaste

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
my ex gf works for a nutrition store here in Sacto and she turned me on to these: http://www.WellgenixHealth.com OSTEOGENIX I was having joint pain in my elbows, wrists and lower back, working very good so far...yes the homepage is very brokeback and chicky

mcatt

Name
Mike
I personally do a ton of stretching very morning and evening, stay a healthy weight, drink tons of water and work out almost daily. When back does flare up I go to massage therapy and/ or chiropractor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom