Brian Robison on the Hot Seat.

Mikey P

Administrator
Tune in Tuesday night @ 7pm pst in the Greenhorn to find out just how he is subbing out 100% of his work and making the big bucks.

Learn about Service Monster as well as the fine art of marrying UP.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I just talked to a Rep from Service Magic who said he is going to try to be there.
His name is
Mike Holder.

I figured we would get into marketing a little bit.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
This whole webinar thing seems like more work than it should be. Download this, passwords, blah blah blah. Brian seems like a good enough guy but my time after work should be a little easier. Do you have an instant replay? You know just point and shoot?

Al

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Askal said:
This whole webinar thing seems like more work than it should be. Download this, passwords, blah blah blah. Brian seems like a good enough guy but my time after work should be a little easier. Do you have an instant replay? You know just point and shoot?

Al

Wurd.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mikey should find a way to record it.
I think Mr. Cermack is the brains of the outfit...What do you think Mark?

Bob Foster

Brian Robison notes from his Hot Seat.

1. I don't pretend to know everything.this is just how I am doing some
things that are working really well for me.

2. Been cleaning carpets pretty much my whole life with some down time
a year here and a year there. Owned some Chem-Dry's .worked for some Chem-Drys and started steam cleaning around 8 years ago in this area. I own my business now.

3. My business structure is really based on people helping people.
There are two different carpet cleaners .in my opinion..There is the Craftsman and the Business man.now you can be really good or really bad in either dept but this is what I think the difference is.

4. The Craftsman is really into the cleaning aspects of the
industry.really likes the equipment and process' used.all the chems used and always looking for something better.

5. The Businessman is the guy who loves the marketing, speaking with
customers.or clients, doing office work or has people to do the office work if it is too much.

6. I am the business man.I'm not a great business man.but at
businessman nonetheless.

7. I think by me hooking up with some craftsman that do great work.IE
o/os things tend to work out well.

8. Why not find that carpet cleaner businessman to find you the work,
deal with phones and work that side of it and you do the craftsman part and split the income?...Or vise versa

9. Which one are you? Either way I think it is a win win.

10. Doing the carpet cleaning and the office will work fine if you don't want to grow your business.but if you do then you have to have other people on your team.

Now here's the money part

1. I split just about every job down the middle. The guys that work for
me pretty much full time I split 50/50. Some of my lower end jobs .or out of the area I will go 60/40 because those are fewer and not worth a lot of money and my "Face" is not really on the job.

2. Every job that I get costs me money to get.even repeat customers
have their cost. The guy cleaning doesn't have to pay for the job, he just answers the phone and there it is, no mailing, no ads.whatever. But he does have the expense of doing the job and maintaining the equipment etc. So I believe that each have their equal expenses.at the end of the day anyway.

3. When I first started this, I had to cut my overhead way down by
selling the van and all the equipment and of course that cuts out gas and chemical usage.repairs. you name it

4. I was losing what I figured to be about $2000.00 every month by
jumping off the truck.

5. The thing is, I had time to work on getting more jobs to make up for
that loss.for every extra $200.00 job that came in.I made an extra $100.00.And that's what I did.

6. The best part is I can now work on my company to get more work.I can
send these jobs to Cleaning Techs who may not have a lot of work .that they didn't directly have to pay for those customers.

7. I do like to think that I have slightly higher end work.but
definitely not always.

8. There have been some guys on the board who have gotten some crappy
jobs from me but you have to take the bad with the good.as do I.
whattyagonnado.

9. This is better for me than having employees because of the costs and
liabilities involved.workman's comp, payroll, taxes etc.

10. I pay the guys who work for me just like I would and accountant or a
mechanic.they are vendors.

11. I have to 1099 anyone who makes over $600.00 from me and they have to have their own equipment and insurance.

12. And California subcontractor law states in part "they must do the job their own way and on their own time". Which means I really can't even have them do a job at a scheduled time.it just works out that it is the time the customer wants it..if you understand.

13. This is a reason why cable companies give you an 8 hour window sometimes.

14. The Cleaning Tech has no "loyalty" to me. If they want to keep a customer base and follow up with a customer.or "Steal" the customer after the initial job then they have the right to do that.I can't stop them.

15. BUT, I keep the customer on file, follow up, remind and basically keep in contact myself.and that Craftsman carpet cleaner probably doesn't care too much about keeping the records anyway or they wouldn't be doing the work for me to begin with.

16. It just works out.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
FYI Brian- It is also IRS law and I believe technically now you have 1099 all regardless of amount so may look into that.

Also - you could have a non-compete built into your subcontractor agreement that the contractor agrees not to communicate with "your" customer in any way shape or form for at least 2 years following any cleaning done through your company.

Ken
Ps Nice bump by the way :mrgreen:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I actually found that post on Google. lol

I 1099 all subs.

I can probably draw up a non compete but I really don't see the point to be honest. Yes it could possibly hurt my business but I really don't think it could hit that hard.

Thanks Ken

PS. Not too mention enforcing it would be more than it's worth IMO but it could act as a deterrent.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
It would enforceable, but probably not worth spending the time/money on it- more deterant so that they don't hand out their bus card to the client on the front end.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ken Snow said:
It would enforceable, but probably not worth spending the time/money on it- more deterant so that they don't hand out their bus card to the client on the front end.

Right.

I keep up with my customers fairly well. Found some Subs stealing from me recently...it happens. lol

But I think I have better control of my customers than the typical sub that does work for me. For the most part.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Non-competes are based on state law. In most states 2-3 years and 50 miles is the max you can set for the terms. There are some states that will only allow 1 year, unless they were an owner/partner, and or you had proprietary process, equipment, ect.

My non-compete states 100 miles and 5 years, which I have no doubt could be ruled excessive. Looking at other non-compete cases the only ones that seemed valid were ones written for 2-3 years and 50 miles in my state. The problem I have is I don't have 3-5 grand sitting around for a court battle with my previous employer and I would be foolish to attempt to represent myself. Not to mention if I did go work for someone in that area he would simply threaten a tortuous interference lawsuit with that employer and I'd be fired. And I doubt I could counter-sue, so I'd be out more money than I would be able to make back up quickly.

If you had an agreement, and had proof, you would possibly win damages in court, and you could simply fire the sub.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Hoody said:
Non-competes are based on state law. In most states 2-3 years and 50 miles is the max you can set for the terms. There are some states that will only allow 1 year, unless they were an owner/partner, and or you had proprietary process, equipment, ect.

My non-compete states 100 miles and 5 years, which I have no doubt could be ruled excessive. Looking at other non-compete cases the only ones that seemed valid were ones written for 2-3 years and 50 miles in my state. The problem I have is I don't have 3-5 grand sitting around for a court battle with my previous employer and I would be foolish to attempt to represent myself. Not to mention if I did go work for someone in that area he would simply threaten a tortuous interference lawsuit with that employer and I'd be fired. And I doubt I could counter-sue, so I'd be out more money than I would be able to make back up quickly.

If you had an agreement, and had proof, you would possibly win damages in court, and you could simply fire the sub.
you want me ta jiHad the SOB for ya Hoodly?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
No Bob, when the dust settles I'll still get what I want. I can't be stopped doing what I love for forever. Cides' I like to keep my word, I did after all agree to something, but that agreement ends soon enough.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Hoody said:
No Bob, when the dust settles I'll still get what I want. I can't be stopped doing what I love for forever. Cides' I like to keep my word, I did after all agree to something, but that agreement ends soon enough.
well shitfire...i should bring a Genie down there....and we could take a run at him......
we would name the co...
BOBLEDINKS CARPET CLEANING CO :lol:

cuz DINKLEBOB...don sound so good!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Brian,
now your using subs. I mean last time when an argument suited you you said your weren't and everything was in house. I am confused

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ken Snow said:
It is not stealing if you don't have an agreement~ just sayin.

The agreement (handshake) is we split the job 50/50. They were doing the job for the discounted price and then keeping 100% of the "upsell". I had customers emailing me invoices and canceled checks with the subs name on it.

It worked out in the end. We both broke even but I won't use them again.

Greg, that was the reason I started doing the Dallas work myself. I would/will sub out tile jobs etc...but I'm working on doing tile myself as well.

Does that suit YOUR argument ok?
:roll:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Oh, and before you say anything Greg....I did get my equipment before then and was doing SOME of the work myself. Then when they got caught steeling, I decided to do all the carpet jobs.

I know how you like to keep track of everything I say and screw it up. :lol:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am just trying who to trust for advice. I mean people brought up indecent subs and you talked about how you vetted them and then I brought up how you were throwing your subs under the bus by doing things yourself and you said it wasn't the way I presented(I was just asking) It is tough pinning an exceptional truith down.

You do 100% of the work less than 20 days ago and now you sit in an office. I am obviiously very stupid

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
you sold sacremento, no you lease it, you r old guy pays rent now its a percentage etc etc

I just was looking for a person who runs my type of business to send advice

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
But he does have the expense of doing the job and maintaining the equipment etc. So I believe that each have their equal expenses.at the end of the day anyway.

umm, Bry...are you saying your expenses per job are the same as the sub's???
am i reading that right??

have you really crunched the numbers??
or are you just blowing smoke up someone's gigi ??.... :roll:

what's the cost to run a keyboard compared to a TM for a year?
Lets say 2/3s of those jobs are repeats with an ave ticket of $150 shall we??

share some of you expenses with us, bRoDiddly

..L.T.A.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
yes art because you and I have different standards. If you have no problem with someone undercutting you with a rag and not calling them out fine

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
good luck art, go get drunk

you and I see it differently

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom