browning..AGAIN !!!

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Ok, I cleaned a cotton blended couch this afternoon. it was grey not white and it wasnt hatian. I put a small blower on the bigger cusions and it was just damp when I left, not dry. I get an email a few hours later that the customer said there were more "stains" after it dried then before..even though it looked great drying. I told them to take a picture and send it to me, but I am going to go check it out tomorrow. Im thinking because of the massive humidity that its just probably browning..this is the second one in a month. Im not soaking these things..its getting bothersome. If it is browning, should I just spray some browning treatment on it and let it sit? Last problem, I tried using the powdered reducing agent and the agent got lodged in the cushions and it ended up costing me 1100. Im not down for that again..help.

:oops:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
call 'er up and tell her ta grab some clear vinegar in the fridge
and mist it on outta windex bottle...
and she'll be good ta go............

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
schribercushions6.jpg

schribercushions5.jpg

schribercushions3.jpg

schribercushions1.jpg

this is what he sent but im trying to get them without flash.

Name
Ron lippold
Thats not a cotton blend bro. Take it outside get some hatian cleaner spray 20 min dwell. Rinse with judson and leave in sun till dry

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Hard to tell from the pictures but Im gonna guess 100% cotton and you have a bad technique. Do you hold the trigger all the time. What's the tool. You should be using upholstery products not carpet products. They penetrate fibers differently.

Gene

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I always had good luck using a powdered haition cotton EXTRACTION formula made by Bridgepoint.

With that tool you have I would mist and suck.

Not flood and suck.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I never hold the tool closer than a foot..and I spray and suck. I did stick the blower on it but it wasnt completely dry in all areas before I left.

S

sam miller

If You cant get it in the sun CTI natural fiber cleaner works great as a cleaning agent if its soiled a upholstery prespray or citrus prespray will work on soil removal.

use a towel or horse hair brush to aggitate then rinse.

In this case its clean already its probably just over wet and browing. So spray and mist with cti natural fiber cleaner add a little all fiber textile rinse. then vacuum and use dryer to speed dry.

PS You can wet a fabric all You want as long as You dry it!

Hatian powder from chemspec works great also but it smells.

the last thing is You cant spot clean away the stains You have to evenly wet out the fabric so You dont get more water rings.

Ron K

I would probably use some pump up sprayers instead of the 100psi tool you'll have more control and won't over wet so much. Do you know how to fabric test. Also check the inside of the cushion if you can to see if there is any glue/adhessive. THe correct chemistry works wonders.

Ron K

Also forgot to ad this to your procedure. Use a towel to dry off the furniture after your cleaning it helps dry faster and also shows you(if you use a white towel) if you've missed anything.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Thanks Ron, I have to admit..these last few weeks have made me a little gun shy..but im working through it. With you guys and Jim Pemberton..he is the man.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You're on the right track with Jim. Make the time to attend his class and you'll never have these issues again.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jared you're cleaning special care fabrics like they are standard care. I would try using less moisture and controlling the moisture more effectively on natural fibers.

Maybe until you buy a dry type tool just use a neutral shampoo applied with sea sponge, horsehair brush or hand bonnet. Use mostly the foam, then vacuum and towel with a white cotton terry cloth towels.

That should help a lot, eventually get a dry tool that will leave your fabrics drier when you leave. Although on special care you may still chose low moisture methods.

Correction, I'd try Yellow RX, spray it on and put in sunlight. I don't like the Haitian cleaners, they leave a residue that will most likely resoil. They also change the feel of the fabric and is noticeable, they can even change the color from a beige to a white. I'd stay away from them for now.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
All your problems are water related. You must first eliminate the cause of the problem,(water cleaning). You can solve all your upholstery cleaning problems and get a premium price with superior results with the VonSchrader upholstery cleaning machine and detergents. You can also fix the problems you have caused providing you haven't chemically altered the fabric and caused permanent damage. I have had no problems correcting wet cleaners browning and yellowing issues for my clients with just a strait cleaning,no tricks. You can call me for info if you would like. Mardie

Name
Lee Stockwell
Mardie said:
All your problems are water related. You must first eliminate the cause of the problem,(water cleaning). You can solve all your upholstery cleaning problems and get a premium price with superior results with the VonSchrader upholstery cleaning machine and detergents. You can also fix the problems you have caused providing you haven't chemically altered the fabric and caused permanent damage. I have had no problems correcting wet cleaners browning and yellowing issues for my clients with just a strait cleaning,no tricks. You can call me for info if you would like. Mardie

Baloney. However I like baloney sometimes... with cheese lettuce and a slice of tomato in a big sandwich.

I've very happily WET cleaned thousands of pieces of furniture, W WS S and X coded since our first Kleenrite machine in 1980. However in Murray Cremer's class in 1981 he told me to always keep white towels to wipe down piping etc. and as a quality control. I wouldn't dream of cleaning without them. If you religiously do that you won't have the problems noted in this thread.

Thanks,
Lee

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Lee Stockwell said:
Mardie said:

Baloney. However I like baloney sometimes... with cheese lettuce and a slice of tomato in a big sandwich.

I've very happily WET cleaned thousands of pieces of furniture, W WS S and X coded since our first Kleenrite machine in 1980. However in Murray Cremer's class in 1981 he told me to always keep white towels to wipe down piping etc. and as a quality control. I wouldn't dream of cleaning without them. If you religiously do that you won't have the problems noted in this thread.

Thanks,
Lee
I do agree that with extreme care and experience it can be done safely and successfully. To bad this experience comes at a premium in so many cases.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've drycleaned many pieces with a Kleenrite machine and to be honest I couldn't tell much difference in cleaning between it and a well vacuumed piece cleaned with a spray bottle of OMS and a towels. That's not a knock on Murray, I took the Kleenrite class 3-times (Slow learner !gotcha! ) or the machine, we had three of their machines.

OMS is great for lightly soiled special care fabrics, it smells clean and oil based soils are removed.

A neutral or acid side shampoo will serve you well on fabrics that can be a little more problematic to too much moisture.

We HWE 98% of what we clean but a lot of that is done with a TM dry type tool or here in plant where we control drying conditions.

Lee is right about the cording, they will stuff just about anything in there, including cardboard. Keep them as dry as possible.

How's the old story go when you own a hammer, everything looks like a nail. HWE s a great hammer but sometimes another method could be the best choice.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I ditched the double boiler OMS machine in the first couple years. As you noted a spray bottle and towel give equal results with better control and less OMS in the air.

I call the extensive vacuuming of an X or S piece the "dry cleaning".

After a few years of "dry-wet-dry" on these I pretty much stopped the OMS on any of it and clean everything similarly.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's a drycleaning solvent used in cleaning fabric and drapery.
Organic Mineral Spirits

It does a decent job of light cleaning of common pickup soil. You do need some precautions, no open flame for the fumes, ventilation, rubber gloves, safety glasses for eye protection in case of splash.

Pretty simple, vacuum throughly, apply with solvent resistant sprayer and towel off the soil with white terry cloth. Leaves a clean "dry cleaned" smell. Unfortunately the results are not as good as HWE. However for delicate or lightly soiled fabric's it is an option.

A good neutral or acid PH shampoo is going to be the next step up and then HWE.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom