Build or buy your truckmount

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
I have made up my mind; its time for a new truckmount (and van). I applied and was approved for financing through interlink and have my eye on the Saphire Scientific 370. Although they haven't been in the field for long the few people I have talked to see to really like them. But when I see people like Bawb V (re?)build his Steam Genies I cant help but think I could save ALOT of $,$$$ buy going the build it yerself route. Granted most of the DIY I have seen don't have the polished appearance many of the "Pro" machines do (I wonder if this is more important to the cleaner than it is to the customer? LOL)

Although not a DIY, I really like the Judsons ease of repair and simplicity (if only they were a little sexier). I think I could putt together a DIY with careful planning and help. A carpet cleaning machine isn't THAT complicated, or at least they dont have to be. But, I would be interested in anyones thoughts regarding the pros and cons of both Pro or DIY machines.

Thanks

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Tony..you would NOT believe some of the machines that have been brought to me......
"it's almost done...but can you jus finish it...it don't seem to draw to well OR it sucks air SOMEWHERE...."
the BEST one is:
The belts seem ta wear out quick..
NO the best one is...
how come that coupler keeps shredding?
NO THE BEST ONE IS:i can get that engine cheaper at Graingers......

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
So I guess it helps if you have a proven design like yer Genies, eh? Building from scratch would probably be very challenging.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
12 GRAND...out the door...you ain't gona build one cheaper!
CRASHESNEWTRUCK.jpg

OR..you can be a lawn mower guy!

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
So I assume that includes install? Does it come with a little Giant? What all do I get for that 12K?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
little Giant??
No..those are for the lawn mower guys!
Does it look like i need a little Giant?
LAWNSCORCHED.jpg

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Sorry if this is a stupid question but WTH does the "steam" come from? I dont see any exchangers in your garage sale pics.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Couple more questions:

All new components Right? I am assuming the reason for the diff in price of your garage sale Genie.
Is it direct driven or OD? Hard to tell from pic.
One silencer? Those 4.7's are kinda loud.
Clutch on the pump?
Last step chem injection?
How well does it maintain heat? I run 600PSI at 1 flow (greenhorn)

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
no Clutch on the pump....
don need one as the Paraplate Reg turns off the solution if yor sucking a flood
It takes TWO silencers to quiet the 47...one up top and the other underneath the truck
it has an emulsifier draw unlike the troublesome chem pump
heat...?
did you SEE my yard...and that WAS a Greenhorn wand 10 flow
yes it is a DD....turns at 1650 RPM's so blowers last forever!
BTW CRASH is getting 16-17 Hg!
My $8000.00 unit has a barley used blower
my $5000.00 unit has a "seasoned" blower
However i CAN buy a brand new Roots 47 cheaper than anyone else...if that's what you want!

Name
Jesse
I'm always feeling limited by our truckmounts when we do a big nasty job. More hot water and more suck would save time.
I've flip flopped between getting a Judson w/ a burner from Duane or having a custom pto built.

I've settled on pto's which is where I started. My next truck(s) will be a E-350 with a White Magic HV front end/shaft kit; custom frame to house 3 coolant exchangers from John's; water injected blower; 3500psi pump; Duanes propane burner, a 12 volt 600 psi pump; 200+ gallon tanks, electric reel; etc.... The 12v pump will have the 3rd coolant exchanger, good for prespray and upholstery tools while the primary pump cleans carpet or tile. I'll have 3 3" blower filters in a custom easy to access housing.

This system will cost more than a regular pto but couldn't be compared with the other van mounts.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Im not an expert on blowers but can you get good lift/cfm at that speed Direct driven? My CDS is DD and runs @ 2500 Rpm's. Awsome suck!

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Anywayz, I like the simplicity of it. Real easy to work on. Take payments? LOL

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
tman7 said:
Although not a DIY,

don't try to build your own.
It's not as easy as it seems

if you're mechanical, you could buy a worn out proven design and refurb it .
as long as the frame is sound, you can keeo a TM running virtually forever
but don't try to build one from scratch

as someone that can make 280 degree water, i can say heat is "somewhat" over rated, but the guys that have never cleaned with screaming heat, are talking out their hat if they say it doesn't matter.

Bob's Genies are sho-nuff nice, I've seen his work personally .
he does excellent work restoring them .
If I wanted a direct drive (and I DON'T) his would be on the top of my short list

but if you want a fire breathing slide-in that doesn't take a back seat to ANY single wand TM, look in the garage sale rm for my thread

lease vs finance..

I'll let the smart money dudes debate the virtues of each...but be sure when you hear the lease payment is "only" $XX pr month, find out what the "actual" out of pocket monthy payment is.
Cause there may be significant taxes and other fees added to the monthly payment.
That $500 month lease payment, may actually be a couple hundred more when prop taxes and such are added.
So know the "total" out of pocket payment before you decide lease or bank finance

..L.T.A.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
An easier build is to make an electric truckmount.

You basicly can make one with a poly freshwater tank, stainless waste tank, electric pump, little giant heater and 2-3 vac motors.

An easy was to have a 500psi fire breather that is durable and won't break down.

Or you can buy one complete from Odin.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Bob, I love the quality you put into your rebuilt Genies and I know it will last forever. I would buy one in a heart beat if I were in the market for a DD. That being said it not hard to quiet a 47 blower if its only turning 1650 rpm but the vac performance at that speed can't compare to the same blower turning 2600 or more. Can the Genie be run at a higher speed?

TimP

tman7 said:
I applied and was approved for financing through interlink

I have my lease through Interlink.....and I can tell you never ever again will I do any business with them. They are crooks, they lie through their teeth. I have just 12 payments left and I'll be so glad to get that burden behind me.

If I was on a budget I'd check the used market first to see if there was something that met my needs at my price. If I couldn't I'd find a used van (preferably something like a sprinter for the convenience) and get a judson TNT. I have a direct drive and it does ok but I want more power for how much the thing cost me. I also don't like running a big v8 burning extra fuel and messing up my truck to power my carpet machine. Yes the design is simple and reliable but the wear on the truck takes its toll.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Shane T said:
Bob, I love the quality you put into your rebuilt Genies and I know it will last forever. I would buy one in a heart beat if I were in the market for a DD. That being said it not hard to quiet a 47 blower if its only turning 1650 rpm but the vac performance at that speed can't compare to the same blower turning 2600 or more. Can the Genie be run at a higher speed?
Show me ANOTHER $12000.00 TRUCK AND UNIT that will pull an honest 16-17 Hg..
Why would i wanna spin it any faster.......
and YES it IS hard ta quiet a 47 blower...UNLESS you got room and the money to install a stoddard silencer....BTW...i THINK we figgered the blower was actually spinnin' about 1950 RPM's according to Jimbos figgers!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
TimP said:
....and I can tell you never ever again will I do any business with them. They are crooks, they lie through their teeth.

:shock: :shock: ....care to elaborate...??

perhaps beneficial for others to learn..

TimP

They told me my lease would be the same thing as financing and I could pay down earlier and it would lower the principal like a loan. Well that's not the case. If you want to pay early they don't allow it. If you want out early add up your payments left and might lower it by a slight amount making it stupid to pay off early. If you consider what the interest rate is compared to regular financing you're getting ripped. I probably lost 6 grand at least in the deal compared to a financing deal if not more considering I could of paid principal down faster and avoided interest since get large payments in work durring summer and I could of dumped some extra cash towards the principal every year.

I believe Jim Martin did business with them when he started out too....I believe his experience was the same. Never again, interlink/aztec financial!!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Listen to me.......i talk to a LOT of people in this business!
Mostly guys that are jus getting into it......99% of them don't even KNOW the correct questions that they should be asking when deciding on which unit to buy! It's easy to see how they might fall prey to an unscrupulous and outright lying salesman...times are tough right now......and there are a LOT of 'em that will say anything to make a sale!
I find that my first job when talking to someone...
is to teach them which questions they SHOULD be asking!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I believe Jim Martin did business with them when he started out too....I believe his experience was the same. Never again, interlink/aztec financial!

yep....and it was not a good experience........best advice I can give you is to stay away from companies like this and save your self a hell of a lot of money and trouble and finance instead of lease.......

Bjorn

you can get a use PD blower pretty cheap water pump get a good hard wood pallet bolt the motor down on the pallet attach the water pump and your good to go you have a slide in

find a nice trash can put a few braces in it and a vac relief

find a plastic 50 gallon barrel and you have a water tank

some old milk crates would make a nice storage system

Bjorn

if you want to splurge go buy some big stainless ones with some big washers too

on the cheap just buy the galvanised ones

i guess if you want to do with out the fancy frame errrrrrrrrrrr hard wood pallet you could just bolt everything down on the van floor

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom