Butler issues

steve_64

So do I need to loosen the bolts under the hood to readjust this driveshaft? Not sure how long it's been this way but I don't remember it being that way when I got it. 20200603_180310.jpg20200603_175918.jpg20200603_175857.jpg

steve_64

We're you by chance sitting in the front seat when that dude punched your face in 1.5 inches?
Haha maybe when I slammed on my brakes though.
I got it. I just wasn't sure those bolts under the hood would move the pulley alignment too.
Still have a little vibration I can't quite eliminate.

steve_64

The whole driveshaft looks to have moved back half an inch or so?

What's the alignment of the front, clutch, pulley?
Thanks Lee I got that part. Is there a sequence for aligning it to the pump and blower? Got a little vibration yet.
I'm going to descale it after I replace that hose that runs underneath the pump to the regulator.
Cleaned 2 couches today that took 2 hours then it blew at my daughter's cleaning some concrete. Temps were over 240 both jobs.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Thanks Lee I got that part. Is there a sequence for aligning it to the pump and blower? Got a little vibration yet.
I'm going to descale it after I replace that hose that runs underneath the pump to the regulator.
Cleaned 2 couches today that took 2 hours then it blew at my daughter's cleaning some concrete. Temps were over 240 both jobs.
To start, the pulleys at the back are at the right spot on the drive shaft. Use that as an index. I'd loosen the middle and front shaft supports and push the shaft forward. I'd need to see a picture of the front to go further.

I'm surprised all your belts didn't come off. You had to HEAR something very wrong.

Reactions: Rick J

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
If vibration, also check the fan clutch. Grab it and shake up and down. If a bunch of play it needs replacing.

Butler uses a non thermal aftermarket clutch with a slight bit of machining. You would need to order from them thay fan clutch

Reactions: steve_64

steve_64

To start, the pulleys at the back are at the right spot on the drive shaft. Use that as an index. I'd loosen the middle and front shaft supports and push the shaft forward. I'd need to see a picture of the front to go further.

I'm surprised all your belts didn't come off. You had to HEAR something very wrong.
I was surprised it was only wearing the belts. There is black rubber spray on the tensioner. I wonder if some of the rubber I had been smelling was coming from that. After the front belts broke I assumed that's what it was. The belts were put on end of last year. No noise. It hasn't been run a lot.

Chip thinks I need a new driveshaft.

steve_64

I will check that out today thanks Mark.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
I was surprised it was only wearing the belts. There is black rubber spray on the tensioner. I wonder if some of the rubber I had been smelling was coming from that. After the front belts broke I assumed that's what it was. The belts were put on end of last year. No noise. It hasn't been run a lot.

Chip thinks I need a new driveshaft.
if your driveshaft is going I would think you would hear it rumbling and maybe even feel it. Like a wheel bearing in your car. At least on my old one that was the case. I still have a spare shaft sitting waiting. BUT the truck is long gone!!! LOL. I used to like being prepared. :biggrin: Got a clutch as well. !

You must have kicked in the afterburners when stepping on the gas to have shifted it to the rear like that. !!!!:biggrin:

steve_64

if your driveshaft is going I would think you would hear it rumbling and maybe even feel it. Like a wheel bearing in your car. At least on my old one that was the case. I still have a spare shaft sitting waiting. BUT the truck is long gone!!! LOL. I used to like being prepared. :biggrin: Got a clutch as well. !

You must have kicked in the afterburners when stepping on the gas to have shifted it to the rear like that. !!!!:biggrin:
Just got back from picking up dinner and still had the cover off. It was making quite a bit of noise. I was just going to post about it.
Want to sell the shaft and clutch?

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
would love to, but doubtful it would be right for your rig. really old. I had gotten them as a just in case long ago but never used, and the truck went down and I junke it. It was for an older 91 GMC.

steve_64

would love to, but doubtful it would be right for your rig. really old. I had gotten them as a just in case long ago but never used, and the truck went down and I junke it. It was for an older 91 GMC.
It's a 2010 gmc. ? If nobody knows ill call butler tomorrow

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Just got back from picking up dinner and still had the cover off. It was making quite a bit of noise. I was just going to post about it.
Want to sell the shaft and clutch?
another thought, if indeed the driveshaft I have would work and I would get it to you which is I would I think do you have someone qualified to install it for you or are you going to do it?

steve_64

tough luck so was just looking for confirmation. he may not realize there was a bracket holding the front end right next to the clutch somehow
I said the front was fine. I know the bracket holds it in place but wasn't sure if breaking those bolts loose would move anything. I didn't think so but have had a run of bad luck so just wanted to make sure. It was easy enough to to get it back into position.

Man that shaft moves a lot going down the road. Might take a look at the engine mounts one of these days.

I would probably do it myself as long as I'm still slow as I am. Thinking about pulling out the WM and pulling the top end off and fixing that too. A couple cylinders stopped firing due to the camshaft I think.

steve_64

I descaled it before doing our janitorial account tonight. Did it twice and each time the water turned black. Things started running better and I moved the driveshaft around a little more but not much better.
Temps stayed down and the unloader starting working again.

steve_64

another thought, if indeed the driveshaft I have would work and I would get it to you which is I would I think do you have someone qualified to install it for you or are you going to do it?
Butler said it won't work but the cost of a new one isn't horrible.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Yes, they are, or used to be when I had mine, very good at support. getting parts to you at a reasonable cost, and quickly. Usually rebuilt, and you rerturn your broken part for credit. I did pumps , and drivshaft that way.

A friend here could not believe how easily I changed my pump out one time. With all the quick connects. Just took a few minutes.

Reactions: steve_64

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom