Can a TM be built simple and still practical?

G

After being at MF this weekend and looking up close at the Judson TM I started thinking. Can a truckmount be considered simple but still be practical?

What I mean is this: About 3 years ago I bought a Dynachem 310. It was a demo here in AZ and I got a great deal. The issues I had were things like

1. to change the water pressure I had to lean up into the machine over the boiling hot engine with a pair of vice grips and a wrench and turn a nut. I couldn't see the water pressure guage so it was always a guess and a blessing if I didn't get burned.

2. To control water temp. I had to adjust the throttle. If I set the wand down to do any spotting the TM would overheat. When I cleaned tile the temp went down to barely over 100.

I've heard on some machines like the EZ there is only one guage. I've heard on others they adjust water temp. the same way.

Looking at the Judson TM it appears these issues have been thought of. Are there other machines out there like this or does Judson know something others don't.

I'm not picking on Cobb or Nick or anyone by asking this. I will say though, the Judson TM was very very impressive. After visiting with Les at Connections I'm sure he's listened to cleaners needs and adapted.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Same here...

I'll have some to show you in about 6 weeks... probably less...

"Nemesis"...

Hang on, it's on the way.

Duane

hogjowl

Idiot™
I didn't look to see where you are located, but if you are in the south east, IM me and I can tell you of one such machine.

And, I'm not trying to sell you anything.

Fon Johnson

Good Lord, man. I have had a simple practical tm for years.. Wait until Duane's new machines are out and look at them.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
all i know curt . after talking to ol man judson for most of last week im sure he knows more then just bout all the big tm makers put together
he just makes a tm that goes to work every day all day to make you money

the man just wants a simple tm that if it does break you can fix in 10mins

im sure daune will follow in the same footsteps and make a very user friendly unit that will out perform units costing 10 or 15k more

Mikey P

Administrator
Jay I have seen EZs and now a beta Judson, and there is no comparison.

When the TNT gets pertied up a tad more it will be like comparing a Resoil to a Vortex.

G

Jay, how many guages do you have? Do you know what water pressure you're cleaning at? Do you know the temp? What kind of pressure regulator is on that? Does it overheat if you set down the wand?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Curt:

You've been around long enough that I'm sure you already know what I am going to tell you, but it bears telling just in case you've forgotten.

For some reason, people on these boards will sell you shit, and have a dozen shit eaters posting that they love the smell of it and want more. I don't understand it. Never have. I can tell you this though. Stay away from bulletin board manufacturers unless YOU (personally) have seen the quality of their work and know (personally) of a few people who use their equipment and tell you it's good.

And, bulletin board conversations and emails from people you've only met on the boards is not a (personal) relationship you can trust.

G

Oh I agree 100%. After meeting Marty this weekend at MF, I will never doubt his wisdom again!!!

Scottie

Oh my gosh Marty! That was brilliant! I am one of those that got burned by exactly what you said. Never again. :wink:

Jay D

Name
Jay D
HG guage, Pressure guage, temp guage, tiny tach. I eliminated my dema valve and I run a Manual bypass by choice. The dema got stuck a couple times too many. IF you leave the wand for Long enough without opening the bypass you can overheat it and pop a hose at the exchanger. I have never poped a hose. It also has a pop off valve to protect the pump. My machine is not a judson nor any machine like a prochem. It makes money every day and puts bread on my family's table. I can fix it simply by myself and that is what I want from a machine. No it does not meet everyones standards of what they are looking for in a machine, but it meets what I am looking for. My EZ and what is made today are a little different. IF I had to do it again I would buy a EZ or a very simple machine based on the amount of machine I get for my money. I can and have built machines so I know how to do it. It is not that difficult. Have a good day Yall. :D

Oh heres a P.S. Buy what you want, ALL and I mean ALL machines break sooner or later, mine included. Mine does not have the bling of others. But I can fix it instead of having to take it to someone else. The only thing I cannot fix is the engine, that goes to my small engine guy.

G

Curt , on my machines we have many options.

Yes the machine comes with guages. The water pressure is adjustable. The machine comes with 1 pressure guages ,1 vacuum guage, temp setting , dwyer meter and a temp guage.

The new models recirculate the water so you will not have a issue of over heating. I still put the wand bypass on as a back up to other devices.

We also include a pump clutch and exhaust diverter. 100 gallon waste tank and a 100 gallon fresh tank.

go to thecleanboard.com and look it up . The newest entry in the truckmount arena

dollar for dollar you can not beat the EZ price. Plus it is simple to work on.

Thanks nick

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I've always been impressed by the El Diablo, but there aren't many testimonials from the field. Why is that?

Steve in Omaha has one. Hopefully I'll get to play with it sometime. I bet it's a hot mother.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I got nothing to sell, I bought the machine based on what "I" needed. I could of bought a prochem blazer (36 blower) at the time for about 8,000 OR a EZ (47 blower, no wand or hoses) for about 7500 in 2003. I read nothing but good reviews of the EZ on the red board at the time and based purchaseing it on a simple machine with low cost. I am sure the Judson is a great machine and it is pretty, but I have what fits my needs just like why you guys bought what fits your needs. What was the purpose of this thread anyhow? Like I said I bought what I could afford and also fix myself. I did'nt have a large payment each month and that is what I was after. My family is number 1 to me, just like it should be with you guys. Like I always say "have a great day."
Curt why, not build your own and add a propane heater or a heat exchanger. Look at KBrennys in the High performance room, that is a great home built. If you can wrench on a car you can build your own with the features you want. If what you got is still good keep it and make a backup or refurbish a used unit. Just keep it simple.

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
keep it

Just keep the bluewave, trust me you will happier down the road, or You buy my 405 for a backup

Late

Vince

RichardnTn

inside.jpg
[/img]

An example of a practical machine...RR

The Preacher

since changing my check valve my Predator APO works flawless. the auto striker doesn't always work, but it's easy enough to light the heater once a day and go with it.

i upgraded it to 2.5 and on the avg 100ft hose run i use it's amazing!

i've had to pull my APO pump several times and even with the old design, i did it in a timely manner.

i'd suggest a Duane Oxley machine to anyone, but the down side is his come and go attitude in the biz. you can get almost any part for his TM's locally so thats a big plus for an O/O!

RichardnTn

Danny, That is the only problem that I have had is the "iffy" igniter. If I have to light it manually on the first job (not a big deal) , it works fine the rest of the day...no other problems...Richard R

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
i've had to pull my APO pump several times and even with the old design, i did it in a timely manner.

That's the one thing I "would have" done different on the "CP" systems... make the pump easy to access. That's the one thing that did get changed on the subsequent systems. (I had to go to an open frame design to do it, but it was worth the effort...)

DSCN1205.jpg

the down side is his come and go attitude in the biz.

That's one way to see it, for sure. But I see it as being committed to persevere in spite of obstacles. Obstacles, like doing all of the work, wearing all of the hats, etc.

That's being changed as well...

The auto pilot thing... As long as it's sparking, it's doing what it should. The thing is, is the spark making it all the way down the wire to the electrode? If it's not, it's "jumping" to ground somewhere (I call it, "spark leak") through a weak place in the insulation... or... The spark is making it, but isn't coming out in the path of the gas at the pilot jet. That's a matter of bending the "hood" over the pilot to point the flame better.

I am looking into a different approach to an "AutoPilot". It likely won't be "automatic", but "continuous", via a charged capacitor. But in the meantime, I do have the AutoPilots in stock, and they should last at least a year, once installed...

RichardnTn

Duane,
I like the cut-out on the machine you have pictured... I absolutely love the simplicity and lack of repairs in light of coming from a SW7200. Machines like that have made me the wrencher that I am....
Take care and continue to post the pictures of the machines your working on.....I drool all over the keyboard, buy hey, I'm willing to clean it up..
Richard R

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Richard:

Thanks.

If you take a close look, you'll see that the motor is bolted to a plate, that can move to allow- de- coupling of the motor. The "fences" on each side of the plate keep it absolutely straight when moving, so you won't lose alignment.

That was another big improvement with this frame design.

Changes were all about access and maintenance... after months of pondering.

GRHeacock

What I fail to understand is WHY do most manufacturers make a machine SOOOO complicated, hard to work on, proprietary parts that you cannot get elsewhere, like a local auto parts shop, whatever breaks is deep inside where you have to remove 2 or 3 other parts to get at the broken part- that is not in stock when you call, etc, etc.

Simpler is better, in my opinion. Fewer parts to break, and quick and easy to replace when broken.

I had a Ballweber CDS machine since 1986, size- 2 cubic feet, weighed about 75 or 80 pounds, controls easy to reach and adjust when needed, replace drive belts about once a year in 10 minutes with one wrench, and maybe spent $500 on repairs in 20 years.

In the shop once to rebuild the Cat pump. Other minor repairs done on the job in a few minutes, or after work.

Never- that's NEVER broken down on a job to the point I could not finish the job.

OK, that said, I WAS impressed with the simplicity of Judson's machine, Duane's older one I saw, a couple years back, Nick's machine, Aaron's El Diablo, and very few others.

So... my opinion, for what it is worth, simpler is better.

Gary

T

The Magician

After years of bad mouthing diverter valve's. Nick ads them to his machines. What does that tell you. I would purchase from a well established company.
Hats off to Duane & Judsons. What fine machines they build.

Scottie

I had one of those (simpler machines) . The first six months I owned it I never finished one job without some kind of breakdown. I went with a Prochem and have never regretted it, not once! :D

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Duane, is it possible to add a front and some side panels to your units?. I understand about it being easy to work on but how often should you have to?. Besides it could possibly be easy to take out the panels.

I know you've probably been asked this a thousand times. Just thinking out loud. Even with panels your machines have always looked simple to work on. Me likes them.

Albert

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
A front panel...?

It has one.

Side panels will be added, as will a guard to cover the moving parts- shaft and belt(s).

Other than that, I want to keep it open. The only reason to box it in is for safety, in my opinion, but there are other ways to make it safe...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom