Canalization Conundrum

Ron K

Seems like since I ported my number to a cell phone that people are finding it really easy to cancel appointments by sending a text. How are you handling it. I have a couple of ideas so looking for your input. Latest, whole house 1/2 hour away so we scheduled extra drive time window and she canceled just because she said they had "pink eye" I said lady we live in Washington we all have some form of red-eye every afternoon around 4:19 what's the problem!

Do you call the day or two before to confirm?

Tell them when they reschedule there is a upfront 100 dollar cancelation fee now and capture a CC#.

Don't call them back!

Or just eat it. To be honest that has been our approach in the past but it's just getting really frustrating, the lack of respect for a glorified janitor sucks!

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I know it's frustrating but sometimes you just have to eat it. Unless it's becoming a daily occurence. Although it's upsetting, think about if your truck broke down and you couldn't make it. Would you compensate the customer? When people cancel like that (unless they're real flakes) you never know the real reason. They may give you what seems a weak excuse but in reality they may have had some calamity that they just don't want to tell you. If they were solidly booked, they will probably reschedule and if thet don't, they probably weren't the kind of customer you wanted anyway.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dude! It's the business we are in, you know that. You can cuss you charge them but it's not going to change.

Chillax. Take it easy, a lump of coal in yor azz will be a diamond in a week at this rate. Shheeeeet! :biggrin:

Seriously, don't let it get you down. It is a part of dealing with the public. We are after all just cleaners. Appreciate those that are considerate and fook those that aren't.

Reactions: Mikey P and Jimmy L

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I always call the day before and won't leave the house until they confirm.

Reactions: Ron K

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I know it's frustrating but sometimes you just have to eat it. Unless it's becoming a daily occurence. Although it's upsetting, think about if your truck broke down and you couldn't make it. Would you compensate the customer? When people cancel like that (unless they're real flakes) you never know the real reason. They may give you what seems a weak excuse but in reality they may have had some calamity that they just don't want to tell you. If they were solidly booked, they will probably reschedule and if thet don't, they probably weren't the kind of customer you wanted anyway.
I agree with the expressed sentiment in the above and in Richard's post. That is, unfortunately, the nature of the beast.

Only thing I would do is make a note in that client's data and see if same behavior is repeated. If it does, I'd still gladly do the work for them but their future price will be adjusted.
Also, I make a note if the client apologizes and makes an offer to compensate for my time loss. If that offer is made, I always decline but I sure appreciate it.

However I would discount my service for a client that was inconvenienced by my van breaking down. It is both a form of acknowledgment for an inconvenience caused and a token of appreciation for their loyalty.

steve_64

I only call to confirm if its scheduled more than a week out.

I dont get many cancellations but the occasional reschedule last minute. As an o/o I can find something else to do when it happens.

The river is always thete when I have time.

Reactions: Old Coastie

steve_64

I do a lot of next day and even some same day. I have a few that book a month out but not many.

I like to work them in as fast as I can to keep that flexibility.

I know its my customer base and im slowly changing that too.

Typically its two to three days out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barry-QDCC

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
For over 2 years now We collected a $30 deposit at the time of the booking; which may be forfeited if they cancel within 48 hours of thier appointment. If we are able to book a replacement appointment in thier spot- we won't keep the deposit.

steve_64

When I ask when do you want it done the typical response is as soon as possible. That has translated to tomorrow or the day after. If I try to push it past that they will move on.

So I rarely call to confirm appointments. Msybe ten times a year. And I dont get many cancellations neither due to this.

This also tells me people are finding me pretty easily when they are in a pinch.

I can start a week with nothing but do ten to fifteen jobs by friday. Ive gotten use to it but it use to stress me out.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Steve if it would help, I always ask when and if I can't get to them, I ask if they have just a couple of minutes. Then we chat about how carpet cleaning (or whatever) is done. Everyone has had the Big Hose company come in, do a quick slurp and leave.
We discuss clearing the deck, vacuuming the baseboards and edges, prespray and scrub, the extraction and replacement of furniture and so on.

In five minutes, most people volunteer to wait a few days, to get the pampering. Some say they'll call the other guys but then call back (because I suggest they ask specifically 'what will they do?') and a few never call back.

One lady called me back the same day Big Hose left, because she couldn't tell what good they'd done.
It all boils down to a direct, kindly gift of truth.

Reactions: steve_64

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Dude! It's the business we are in, you know that. You can cuss you charge them but it's not going to change.

Chillax. Take it easy, a lump of coal in yor azz will be a diamond in a week at this rate. Shheeeeet! :biggrin:

Seriously, don't let it get you down. It is a part of dealing with the public. We are after all just cleaners. Appreciate those that are considerate and fook those that aren't.

Speaking of Asses...time for one of my all time favorite jokes. I find it hysterical - my wife does not.

What does the Star Ship Enterprise have in common with toilet paper?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom