Cancellations

G

getdusty

Is there anything that you do to prevent, or limit cancellations?

It seems like we've had one a week all year. We had a FULL DAY tile cleaning job scheduled for tomorrow. Called to confirm earlier, and he just sent me a text that he forgot about spring break so we'll have to reschedule. Frustrating to say the least.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Groupon.

Makes them pay up front...They seldom cancel... If they do, you have the money.

Man that sounded wrong...But it's the truth.

danbrown

I have very few, like a small handful over the last couple years.

I had 2 in the last couple of months tho that has made me start asking for a 20% down payment upon scheduling of a project. This 20% is used for materials ordering, but has the added effect of tying them into the appointment ie: they now have some skin in the game....

We do alot of 1 day big ticket projects involving grout/natural stone/wood/carpets so those who do just carpet may not be able to pull that off.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
That is why I stopped doing day before reminder calls. We show up on time and gives the lazy or forgetfull ones clean carpet.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Name
I'm Rick James
Its all part of the game.. You can make it clear on your website and on the phone that there is a cancellation fee.. but that's getting petty at that point.

Chris A

Name
Chris
We do the confirmation calls the day before just because Id rather have a hole in the day than a no show. Even still, it happens, they always seem to come in waves too.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I don't push people to schedule when I do an estimate or talk to them on the phone. I give them time to decide whether they want me to do work for them.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Happens from time to time but, we usually just can fill in the spot with our stand by list. We always give a confirmation call to prevent no shows, also for them to get prepared for us.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I always have other work in the wings to fill holes in the schedule.

I hate the word "cancel", prefer "postpone".

Mondays seem to have more, so I never schedule Monday AM work. That seems to please Murphy.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I've only done the 1/2 hour call ahead. Gives them less time to cancel...and if they know you're "on the way"...They'll make sure to be there for the most part.

The night before email or confirmation call is really just a way out or second thought for the appointment.

Then again, I can be lazy and I just don't want to do the confirmation call the night before. lol

If they're going to be a no show... I would rather know about it before I get all the way to their house... Like said above.

On the other hand, if they don't answer their phone. I don't show up. I leave a voicemail stating "I'll need a call back before I can head toward your house" Or something like that.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Ok brians on board.
Now........if they don't answer the door, the phone. When I get there. I start looking and banging on all their windows. Try different codes for the garage door. Maybe they forgot to unlock the door. And if the don't answer after 30 minutes I put a $200 bill on their door for not cancelling.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
joeynbgky said:
That is why I stopped doing day before reminder calls. We show up on time and gives the lazy or forgetfull ones clean carpet.

Same here. I had a couple of no-shows, so now I get a phone number so I can call if they are not there.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
this must be a Sacto Ca problem... sorry to hear that...if it makes u fell better, I've had 3 reschedules, over $2500 in work this week....WTF?? One has rescheduled 3 times in the past 4 weeks, unbelieveable thathurts maybe I'll start up the credit cards again and start taking deposits :mrgreen:

Able 1

Name
Keith
I don't call EVER before the job and have had a problem like 10-20 times in 6 years... If they reschedule 3 times I tell them to go elsewhere.. !gotcha! :lol:

hogjowl

Idiot™
A few thoughts after reading much of this BS ...

Nobody "always has extra work waiting in the wings" for situations such as this. If you did, you'd have it on the schedule.

Groupon work sucks ... why anybody would want to work for half off is beyond me. I'll take a cancellation once or twice a year instead.

If you work alone and are complaining about cancellations, then get a life.

If you run crews, then that's a whole nuther story.

If you cancel on me more than once, I boot you from my data base, but that's ONLY because I work alone and don't have someone else depending on me to make their payroll.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Able 1 said:
I don't call EVER before the job and have had a problem like 10-20 times in 6 years... If they reschedule 3 times I tell them to go elsewhere.. !gotcha! :lol:
a $1000 grout colorseal job that will take around 5 hours...it's a pain in the ass but worth it eventually

Name
Lee Stockwell
Marty said:
A few thoughts after reading much of this BS ...

Nobody "always has extra work waiting in the wings" for situations such as this. If you did, you'd have it on the schedule.

Groupon work sucks ... why anybody would want to work for half off is beyond me. I'll take a cancellation once or twice a year instead.

If you work alone and are complaining about cancellations, then get a life.

If you run crews, then that's a whole nuther story.

If you cancel on me more than once, I boot you from my data base, but that's ONLY because I work alone and don't have someone else depending on me to make their payroll.
I usually ignore your snarky comments about my posts, and I will return to that policy after this. I don't have many no-shows or such, but there is always a job that can be worked in earlier when that happens. Either a rug in the shop or an empty unit we already have the keys. Thus tomorrow if we get an opening we will do a Friday job. By Friday that hole would likely be filled.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Bee Busy said:
[quote="Able 1":1ifqjwpx]I don't call EVER before the job and have had a problem like 10-20 times in 6 years... If they reschedule 3 times I tell them to go elsewhere.. !gotcha! :lol:
a $1000 grout colorseal job that will take around 5 hours...it's a pain in the ass but worth it eventually[/quote:1ifqjwpx]

IS IT? Well maybe if you NEED it! I like to stay with just carpet and upholstery cleaning so I don't have to lock out half a day... For repeat work I do clean tile but switching between services WILL cut your efficiency, so if it works for you, go get it! Not here though.

Kinda, dead money what could you have scheduled in the time frame that you had open for them. This is coming from a guy that will fit a rental in anywhere.

G

getdusty

Yeah Bill, we'll give him another shot. Frustrating since this was $950 tile cleaning job that we booked for the whole day.

One of these days we'll get busy enough to fill a whole day the night before, but right now we can't so we feel it when a full day cancels, especially at the last minute.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I think that is one of the hardest things to manage, expecially when you first hire employees. When you are struggling to fill from one day to the next, a cancellation is a huge blow and adds stress.

I would love to experience a day when those concerns were no longer an issue.

Of course, then other things would probably show it ...

Able 1

Name
Keith
Marty said:
I think that is one of the hardest things to manage, expecially when you first hire employees. When you are struggling to fill from one day to the next, a cancellation is a huge blow and adds stress.

I would love to experience a day when those concerns were no longer an issue.

Of course, then other things would probably show it ...

Really, you just need BIG rental props and schedule your early job normal and if one cancels just throw it in there. All my rentals are on a floating schedule. To tell you the truth, (even though you can get screwed big time if they leave) I think rental units are the least of my headache.

I am on a firing mission this year with all my pita custy's.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Starting in May, and continuing through June, I will have rental properties coming out of my butt to clean. We have a huge military turnover during that time frame every year. Having keys to properties and the ability to clean them between normal jobs is nice, but that only happens during that one time every year.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
getdusty said:
Yeah Bill, we'll give him another shot. Frustrating since this was $950 tile cleaning job that we booked for the whole day.

One of these days we'll get busy enough to fill a whole day the night before, but right now we can't so we feel it when a full day cancels, especially at the last minute.
I hear ya...when ya get into carpet plus tile stuff it's a pain in the ass

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
As an owner op it's about saying full and keeping your cash flow. Have 24 hour cancellation policy and/or call them with a reminder. Stay emotinally detached from the whole subject by being proactive with the calls and attempt to have a standby list. New clients, you bet I call them a day before so there's no miss understanding. Have I been dissappointed, yes and sh.. happens.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Its happened every now and then but not regularly enough for me to be concerned about.
More often I get a call the day before asking to REschedule to another time. It happens. Often I find that someone will call wanting something done immediately and I can tell them that I JUST had an opening shiteatinggrin
It all works out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom