carpet warrantees claims- are they believable?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I was in a carpet store today and saw the claims made about the new Smart Strand carpet.
If I were to go by their warrantee claims I should never have to apply protectant to this carpet...ever. The salesman did say they recommend the application after 5 yrs.
Opinions?

DSC_1786.jpg

DSC_1790.jpg

DSC_1789.jpg

DSC_1787.jpg

DSC_1788.jpg

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ron Werner said:
I was in a carpet store today and saw the claims made about the new Smart Strand carpet.
If I were to go by their warrantee claims I should never have to apply protectant to this carpet...ever. The salesman did say they recommend the application after 5 yrs.
Opinions?

DSC_1786.jpg

DSC_1790.jpg

DSC_1789.jpg

DSC_1787.jpg

DSC_1788.jpg
Hi Ron
This must be what they call the "magic carpet ride"
I believe that carpet manufacturers can and do make any claim for the sake of marketing.Should always read the fine print which you will need a team of lawyers to decifer. After all is understood my guess is that the only warranty anyone will get is if their is something wrong with the carpet is when the carpet installers unroll it and see that their is a problem. Oh but then it probably would not be installed. So their is your carpet warranty,in my opinion.
They will have an excuse not to honor their claims.
I was just recently at a home show speaking to a carpet manufacturer representative about a carpet that they said would neutralize odor.I explained that i am a carpet cleaner and that i do a lot of odor removal. I then asked if it would kill odor from cat piss.He said it would. I kept pressing and explained to him the severity of cat piss.He insisted that it would neutralize these and all odors. I guess he thought this is what i wanted to here and i was in the market to buy a carpet.LOL

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ron Werner said:
Puts us in a conflicting position with the retailers and manufacturers, but then what else is new :roll:
I guess the best we can do is to keep our experiences and opinions to ourselves when it comes to anything to do with carpet salesmen or manufacturers claims.
Let them deal with it.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
When anyone makes a claim for the lack of need of a Protectant on any carpet, there are certain assumptions implied.

Polyester (PET), PTT Polyester (Smartstrand), and Olefin marketing often purports rightly that they are largely immune form certain staining issues that would ordinarily be solved by the addition of a protectant on other fiber types. However, they ignore that soiling and staining of carpet is not all the same.

Polys and Olefin without a protectant are all subject to dry soiling, and oil based staining, as much, if not more than other fiber types. Polys and Olefin are particularly adept at absorbing non-polar oils and greases, for which a protectant could afford protection.

When these products are marketed as "indestructible", the conditions presented are usually well controlled and devoid of soiling circumstances for which unprotected Poly and Olefin are vulnerable.

The manufacturers lone argument is not to classify oil spots and dry soiling issues as a "stain", per se. So in this perspective, the product indeed "does not need a protectant". However, we know the devil is in the details. A protectant indeed can have a demonstrable value on these carpets.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I understand the antimicrobial properties that were being marketed as "odor eaters" by a certain mill earned a complaint to the CRI from Shaw and hint of lawsuit. Shaw tests found no benefit. At least the marketing shown here doesn't make that big of a claim.

By the way, lifetime isn't your lifetime. The mill decides the terms of the life of the carpet. They are also well aware that they can promise just about any long-term claim up front and not have to back it up. Most claims are in the first few months, after that people forget about the warranty. A good retailer will downplay mill claims anyway since they know the complaint will come to them first.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Marketing makes the claims and then the poor technical services guys have to go out and explain why the carpet looks so bad. I think the tech people are more upset than the cleaners. After all we aren't the ones making the claims.

Shawn is right the products could use a fluorochemical and I think you will see one soon.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
The Great Oz said:
The mill decides the terms of the life of the carpet. They are also well aware that they can promise just about any long-term claim up front and not have to back it up.
Cut to the chase time:

1. The homeowner has the mill's carpet.
2. The mill has the homeowner's money.

Steve Toburen

PS That's it.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
carpet warrantees? Worthless junk imo. I actually know a carpet salesman that sends me tons of business. He had an issue with carpet wearing too much and contacted the mill. They wouldn't even replace it for him.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
"There are two kinds of liars; one is a person whose motivation is to mislead the with the falsehood that is conveyed, and the other that actually believes the falsehood to be a reality."

Carpet salesman and politicians must have this in common.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Local place has this same display up but also has a small banner over it the claims it,s got some "odor lock for pets" that can be cleaned 8 times without the loss of the fresh scent.

Name
Lee Stockwell
So many broken promises over the decades. The sorry thing is that a few people at the mills actually believe them.

...they don't clean carpets.

The individuals who mastermind the most bodacious claims used to invent things like NEW Coke and Crocs. By the time these carpets ugly out and need replacing the marketers will be working for the government or gathering buggies at Walmart.

S

sam miller

I know a few carpet retailers here who stand behind the product! but I think its the 100 precent warranty on a sofa soil shield

Sell 100 waranties $200 apiece have a margin of maybe 5% that You pay out. They're banking You'll never use it. Gambling there is

an acceptible percentage of loss figured in to these claims.

The sofa warranties were bullet a proof couch for a few hundred bucks more.

Knowing full well they would have to replace a few couches that they sell for $699.00 new but only cost them $349.00

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom