CFM test for Atlanta

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Do the math on the price on the parts and see if I am right......
Hey Cap - have you done the math on the parts? I mean ALL of the parts? Have a look at the manual for the Hydramaster CDS:

http://www.hydramaster.com/Portals/0/Manuals/man182-038.pdf

Take note of the assembly drawings on pages 7-3 through 7-56. There are many hundreds of parts that have to be purchased, stocked, cut, bent, drilled, punched, welded, cleaned, powder-coated, assembled, wired, plumbed, secured, and tested.

How about the major frames/sheet metal assemblies?

• Recovery tank and cover
  • Power pack frame
  • Dash box
  • Dash panel
  • Instrument panel
  • Water Box mount
  • HX sheet metal/HX mount
  • Horizontal pump-in tank assembly
Have a look at the drawings to get an idea of the complexities of each of these pieces and then,

Consider this - If Hydramaster subbed out the manufacture of just these metal frames and assemblies to you - and you had to buy the metal, cut it, punch all the mounting holes (hundreds and hundreds of them, all accurately located), make all the bends, weld everything up, clean, etch and powder coat all the assemblies, apply silkscreen or decals, and warranty your work, oh yeah, you have to make lease payments on a quarter of a million dollars worth of equipment (CNC waterjet, CNC press brake, MIG welder, TIG welder, spot welder, powder coating line), and pay rent on your building:

How much would you charge them? Just for the sheet metal?

Keep in mind you will naturally want to pay yourself a decent wage, including benefits and medical, and working by yourself it will take you 3-4 days per set.

And so far your figures don't include any profit....

Last edited:
Name
Marcus
I could be wrong on the total price of parts...just looking at the pump heat and blower.....
However these conversations need to happen as they are the high priced truck mounts on the market....
And should have higher scrutiny.....
I know when I did water damage I had extra scrutiny of anything over 1000$ especially over 2000$
I do agree with Ron that the market will decide and with more companies
Making direct drives maybe they will have more competition.....

Name
Lee Stockwell
PTO, and later cds style truck mounts date from the 1970s. Arnie Ballweber, Mr Holman of Steam Genie and several others made early versions before the Era of government scrutiny of vehicle modification.

That is the really huge cost that garage builders can't solve.

There is a reason several big builders collaborate behind the scenes on some of these costs and others.

Name
Marcus
so what is the advantage of a pto over a slide in?? As they do cost more.....
Other than being quieter which is a big plus but not enough to pay the difference.....

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
As front-wheel drive drives from EPA-mandated fuel-efficient vans enter the marketplace,
PTO's become more complex and expensive.

The cleaner has to weigh the long-term costs versus the slide-in TM's.

Ask your current distributor about cost of reinstallation of a current PTO after 4-5 years.

See if they will even attempt it.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Like a broken record Larry.. sheesh give it up.

CDS and other van powered units are here to stay.
Of all the tm's I have owned, my Hydramaster cds was one of the most pratical. Lot's of room left over, easy to use, quiet, did I say QUIET, comes in handy when doing late night work,reliable but lot's of solenoids controlling my water flow in and out, not so hot, maybe 190 degrees but newer ones can go to 235. If you are a large company and like to turn over your vehicles frequently, there many lease programs to choose from. Very expensive to transfer to new van, but look on the used market and you will lot's cds units for sale that are 20 plus years old and still working well and making money. Great units for start up operations or back up units.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
so what is the advantage of a pto over a slide in?? As they do cost more.....
Other than being quieter which is a big plus but not enough to pay the difference.....

Extreme Cold Weather cleaning....best units to be able to run....

Very Happy with our Butlers as their R&D has helped us get many miles and hours out of the units.....

Just many things we do love about them....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Mark, maybe you can give us an example. What is your oldest machine and what kind of repairs have you had to do to keep it up? Videos not necessary.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark, maybe you can give us an example. What is your oldest machine and what kind of repairs have you had to do to keep it up? Videos not necessary.

Some of the machines that we have owned are maybe on their 3rd or 4th owners and still going....

One Butler in particular in a 93 GMC has over 250,000 road miles and over 11,000 hours (619,000 total van motor miles equivalent) that has of course needed brakes, a fuel pump, tires, basic wear and tear but otherwise, change the oils and keep her fresh....she is still not taking any oil with the original motor yet, but the body is seeing some rust. Cat water pump replaced on this one once....

My Brother Kirk just sold a 2000 GMC and Butler with over 200,000 miles and close to 8000 hours on it....that one has taken a water pump I believe once, brakes, tires, oil changes (engines and transmission oil changes, Butler oil changes) so equivalent of 464,000 miles on the original motor....still no oil consumption and running strong...that one did take a cat water pump around 5000 hours....

Now owned by young family in MN 1997 with 125,000 road miles, 5000 hours....290,000 miles on motor...think cat water pump original yet, blower was replaced due to a seal that went bad and employee didn't tell anyone....makes money everyday....(this was back up unit a lot)

Brother has 2002 GMC & Bulter with 150,000 road miles, 5800 Butler hours about now still going strong everyday....think had a cat water pump replaced....basic oil changes...that motor did need an intake gasket I believe once... and a fuel pump.... 341,400 equivalent miles on motor...no problems....

Boy, I could keep going as our old Butlers keep going too....we still have an old 95 out there making money in North Dakota as well as a 2000 with high road miles and good hours....still all about the same....

We just have great luck and results with the vans.

I am currently running a 2011 GMC and Butler, and a newer 2015 GMC and Butler, and my Brothers have 2002, 2008, 2007 units...all doing great with very minimal problems...just basic service things....All making us money everyday....

Did have a couple of Fan clutches go bad on couple Butlers (Butler uses aftermarket fan clutch) but easy fix, not much money....

Before I forget, Plugs and wires replace around the 100,000 mark or earlier....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom