Cleaner died here this morning unnecessarily

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm not a good spokesman for air-cooled TMs as I have noted I hate the sound of a lawnmower trying to start. We've been very happy with watercooled engines.

That being said, other new air-cooled engines must meet ever tighter EPA and CARB requirements to be sold. These requirements are usually met without the specific catalysts and air injection specified for vehicles.

I agree with you that this is a good subject for attention in this industry. I'd like to see CNG become more popular as well.

Reactions: Mardie

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
My CC is tucked nicely up under the van, right where GM stuck it : )

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I'm sorry billy. I strongly disagree! CO is a heavy gas.

Actually Becker, CO is technically lighter than air. At 32 degF at sea level, air has a density of 0.0806 pounds per cubic foot, CO has a density of 0.0780 under the same conditions.

Since the two densities are so close, rather than sink or float, CO has the tendency to evenly diffuse in air.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy and Zee

Becker

Name
Becker
I stand corrected.
You are correct.

That said. In an open air environment I can no way see how Co should be an issue at all in or at the van. Providing your not running a gas powered machine with the doors closed.

Improper parking, or effects of vacuum in the house sucking from a high co source is deadly.

Something like a rear installed tm. Operator backs up to the garage. Does not enter the garage. But all that exhaust filled the open garage with gases. Slowly that air is sucked into the house.

In almost all cases I think death or injury can be prevented from CO with simply proper placement of your truck on each job site.

Reactions: KevinL

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I could never figure out why TMs do not have emission standards such as vehicles have. The raw pollution TMs produce is horrendous .

Is it really horrendous compared to the 10,000 cars or more on the road for every 1 tm? Plus all the pollution still pumped out by industry. It's a REALLY BIG world you know.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I stand corrected.
You are correct.

That said. In an open air environment I can no way see how Co should be an issue at all in or at the van. Providing your not running a gas powered machine with the doors closed.

Improper parking, or effects of vacuum in the house sucking from a high co source is deadly.

Something like a rear installed tm. Operator backs up to the garage. Does not enter the garage. But all that exhaust filled the open garage with gases. Slowly that air is sucked into the house.

In almost all cases I think death or injury can be prevented from CO with simply proper placement of your truck on each job site.

Agreed.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Is it really horrendous compared to the 10,000 cars or more on the road for every 1 tm? Plus all the pollution still pumped out by industry. It's a REALLY BIG world you know.

A wrong does not justify another wrong. Every industry has the power to be responsible and go beyond minimal compliance standards.

Name
Dale Compton
I have an update on what actually happened. I go to church with a mutual friend of the deceased.

Obviously, it was cold that day, he had a small electric space heater that he was using to keep his equipment warm. He had backed into the garage so his extension cord would reach the plug so his heater would work.

Guys, the people that know this man say he was very bright. So, I'm going to guess that this kind of thing happens very quick and obviously without any notice at all.

Billy

Name
BH
Actually Becker, CO is technically lighter than air. At 32 degF at sea level, air has a density of 0.0806 pounds per cubic foot, CO has a density of 0.0780 under the same conditions.

Since the two densities are so close, rather than sink or float, CO has the tendency to evenly diffuse in air.

Well said, this is what I was trying to point out in my earlier post but I didn't get the point across as well.

Reactions: dgardner

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I have an update on what actually happened. I go to church with a mutual friend of the deceased.

Obviously, it was cold that day, he had a small electric space heater that he was using to keep his equipment warm. He had backed into the garage so his extension cord would reach the plug so his heater would work.

Guys, the people that know this man say he was very bright. So, I'm going to guess that this kind of thing happens very quick and obviously without any notice at all.

Question is this: are there kids now without a father? If yes, do you know if there is an immediate need financially? I hope they had a well paying life insurance.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
That being said, other new air-cooled engines must meet ever tighter EPA and CARB requirements to be sold. These requirements are usually met without the specific catalysts and air injection specified for vehicles.

I'm definitely in favor of lower emissions, but it occurs to me that since CO itself is odorless, it's the other stuff emitted from the engine we actually smell. The cleaner the engine, the less warning we will have that there is something wrong. And, as Lee said, they are getting cleaner as the requirements change. Food for thought......

Reactions: ronbeatty and Billy

Billy

Name
BH

So was it a Slide In Truck Mount then & not a Genset running a portable?

I noticed in the pics he appeared to have pulled in front first.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I have set off CO2 alarms in two different houses when I wasn't even parked in the garage. I was parked out side of the garage but the fumes still drifted in. I now park as far away as possible.
Never a bad idea to have a CO detector on the van. I have one that rides with me in the cab. In the winter, the van is closed up more than normal and quite a bit of CO builds up in there. This way I know when the cab has been cleared out enough to hit the road.

Also not a bad idea to set the unit in the clients doorway on summer jobs. Even when parked fairly far away, the fumes can find their way into the home. More than you might think.

Detectors are cheap and well worth it.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm definitely in favor of lower emissions, but it occurs to me that since CO itself is odorless, it's the other stuff emitted from the engine we actually smell. The cleaner the engine, the less warning we will have that there is something wrong. And, as Lee said, they are getting cleaner as the requirements change. Food for thought......
Where did @dgardner go? I haven't seen him post in awhile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom