What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
How long have you had it?
How long do you think it will last you?

And the million dollar question:
Is it easy to work on?

Name
jack zerkie
I have the base unit the 2045 and it,s 3 years with ZERO down time. The unit is simple everything is wide open. I had two other slide inns. The first was a water cooled white magic pro 1700 really junk. Then came a Hydramaster 470D wow 31 hp water cooled . The unit had to many wires and computers was down more than up, The best day was the day I sold it. Larrys unit is just what I need to keep working everyday with no problems just ask me. jz.

Reactions: Charlie Lyman

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
Not sure what the point was to post a four year old link to a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question. Some idiot buys an abused machine from some hack and trys a DIY re-install... really? Thanks Mr. Nobody, that helps real people a whole lot. I guess we should be used to that on internet forums. Along with the good we have to sift through the crap. Anonymous punks with an agenda wasting our time because of their own misplaced loyalties and ignorance. Who ever Bruce Humphrey really is could only hope that in his lifetime could contribute even 1% of what Larry Cobb has to this industry.

Yes Charlie, I have owned two Dynachem truck mounts. They are excellent, no frills machines built with quality components. Neither one has ever been in the shop and they are 10 & 12 years old, still going strong. I do all service on my equipment in-house. Very straight forward and easy to work on. Other than regular maintenance, the only repairs ever has been new ignition coils on the Honda engines. They are about 75 bucks.

I think they are very well layed out. Included in the design is exactly what you need without a lot of troublesome gadgets. Now, they are not painted with bright perty colors, but you do get stainless steel. So, if you are looking for cool colors instead of quality, long lasting components, then maybe Cobbs machine is not for you.

Hey, Batman and Bruce, what's your favorite colors?

Ray W.
... of Rugs to Riches fame
Dallas, Tx

Mikey P

Administrator
Ray as an employee of Cobb Carpet Supply I would recommend that you use your Boss as an example of how to keep your cool on an industry forum.

Larry is the master of not getting riled up over stupid and meaningless in the big picture of it all comments.

Bruce is a long time member here who is not known to start shit. and lets face it, that old unit did look like ....shit.

I've seen the latest units produced by your company and can highly recommend them.

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Exactly like ray stated, they will run for a very long time. Nothing complicated about the machine at all. Stainless heat exchanger are rates for about 1400 psi. Most have general pumps that really don't have problems. Most I have seen have sutorbilt blowers again no regular problems. Cobb does run a Honda they some Poeple don't like but I ran the crap out of mine and never had a problem for over 2000 hours.

In fact I flipped the va. With the truckmount bolted in it and just switched it to another van and kept running strong. The only other truckmount as easy to work on or repair would be a Judson.

I will state that for what I have seen, cobbs tanks are made of aluminum.

I think they are a well made and really simple units that will run a long time.

Oh and there fresh and waste tanks are a 2 in 1 configuration tank that the components sit on. For most jobs works well, on larger jobs you need to either go apo or dump a lot.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale

Nobody was answering Charlie so I asked again to bump it to the top of the page. I said nothing about his truck mounts. I just wanted my friend to get an answer from someone that owned one. So screw your fav color remark. Its red...........:biggrin:

Adam

Name
Bruce
Not sure what the point was to post a four year old link to a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question. Some idiot buys an abused machine from some hack and trys a DIY re-install... really? Thanks Mr. Nobody, that helps real people a whole lot. I guess we should be used to that on internet forums. Along with the good we have to sift through the crap. Anonymous punks with an agenda wasting our time because of their own misplaced loyalties and ignorance. Who ever Bruce Humphrey really is could only hope that in his lifetime could contribute even 1% of what Larry Cobb has to this industry.

Yes Charlie, I have owned two Dynachem truck mounts. They are excellent, no frills machines built with quality components. Neither one has ever been in the shop and they are 10 & 12 years old, still going strong. I do all service on my equipment in-house. Very straight forward and easy to work on. Other than regular maintenance, the only repairs ever has been new ignition coils on the Honda engines. They are about 75 bucks.

I think they are very well layed out. Included in the design is exactly what you need without a lot of troublesome gadgets. Now, they are not painted with bright perty colors, but you do get stainless steel. So, if you are looking for cool colors instead of quality, long lasting components, then maybe Cobbs machine is not for you.

Ray W.
... of Rugs to Riches fame
Dallas, Tx
Ray did you not notice in that thread Larry had posted a picture of a new set up (as of 2009) and the specs of the new unit? http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showthread.php?235894-Cobb-Job&p=3839200&viewfull=1#post3839200
I have nothing against Larry or his truckmount and have ordered from him in the past and will order again when needed.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Why would someone in Florida drive all the way to Texas to get a Cobb unit, when TCS is closer?

Or, has Larry got someone selling his machines in Florida?

Last edited:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Thanks to everyone that responded.
I'm looking for a new machine and am trying to decide between a couple. I want simple that I can work on. I will have it shipped and do the install myself with some bubble gum and duct tape to hold it in place:rockon:. I like the fact that they are running Hondas and Kohlers. I've had it with Briggs motors.
I've made my Boxxer last me 6+ years and I got it used. I want something that will last me a long time and is built good.

PM

Name
ES
Or check out an Amtex. They wont say that on this board and they wont say check out a Cobb on the other board. Kinda funny when you think about it. I have heard Velocity makes a good TM (KIDDING)

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I have not bought or used a cobb machine. I will say thought that I am not a fan of judson because they don't use heat exchangers. I acutally agree that in the long run it would cost less to use a propane heater but I dont' like the hassle of filling propane or the extra room in the van that one would take up. I also don't like having to light the propane unit at every job.

I have no idea about tcs but ordering a truckmount and having it shipped wouldn't be an issue at all for me. The last truckmount I bought was shipped and I did the install.

Larry is a very bright guy. If I was in the market for a new truckmount he would be high on my list of companies to purchase from.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Amtex? Never heard of them until now, and I have NEVER seen one, or heard of anyone who I know owning one.

I agree about heat exchange systems. To my knowlege, TCS doesn't make one. Neither does Judson. I wish TCS did.

However, if I had to buy a system today, I'd probably just have to go with another TCS propane system. I have never done anything worse than burn the hair off my arm with propane, and I've been using it since 1988.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If you can turn wrench then you can fix anything that might go wrong with either a Cobb unit or a Judson.

main differences:

Judson - stainless steel tank - Briggs/kohlers - propane - doesnt require filters for waste tank

Cobbs - aluminum tank - Honda / kohlers / lifan- heat exchanger - does require filter for waste tank.

Reactions: Soxpac

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If you can turn wrench then you can fix anything that might go wrong with either a Cobb unit or a Judson.

main differences:

Judson - stainless steel tank - Briggs/kohlers - propane heater - doesnt require filters for waste tank

Cobbs - aluminum tank - Honda / kohlers / lifan- heat exchanger - does require filter for waste tank.

Both very good units and easy to fix.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Charlie;

We have designed both of our DC300 (22HP) and DC500 (34HP) truckmounts for ease of service.

The HX, Exhaust manifold, blower silencer, & all hardware is stainless steel for durability.

The frame and tanks are corrosion-resistant #6061 alloy for less van weight.

Most importantly, the 34HP Kohler engine has been the most reliable engine we have ever used (including some liquid -cooled).

It has extended service intervals for less maintenance.

We also design for 17" of lift with the new 4MR Sutorbilt blower.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=1269

You can also have a dual electric reel and Mytee carbon fiber wand at no extra cost.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=1276

We think it is a great value.

Give me a call if you have any questions.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Lyman

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Our Truckmounts don't dump hot water into the recovery tank.

We also think diverters have too much temp lag.

1st . . . our HX holds a fairly large quantity of water.

2nd . . .the temperature is limited by the blower exhaust temperature,

which is ~235° F.

The HX heats quickly to 235°,

from that point it has limited temp rise due to larger volume of blower exhaust.

Heat Exchanger Temp Graphic:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/hx55.html

Larry

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Larry, What temp will the DC534 hold with a 10 or 12 flow at 450psi. Is there a huge drop off from the normal 6 flow?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Larry, What temp will the DC534 hold with a 10 or 12 flow at 450psi. Is there a huge drop off from the normal 6 flow?

First, I would need to know how much "pressure loss" you have in the 150' of 1/4" solution line.

I would guess with #10 flow, you are only actually delivering ~2.5 GPM at the wand.

At that flow, the HX would deliver more BTU's . . .

but the water temp would be 190° to 200° F,

depending on duty cycle & engine RPM.

If you need more temp,

we have 38HP & 46 HP TM's available. :)

Larry

Last edited:

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Our Truckmounts don't dump hot water into the recovery tank.

We also think diverters have too much temp lag.

1st . . . our HX holds a fairly large quantity of water.

2nd . . .the temperature is limited by the blower exhaust temperature,

which is ~235° F.

The HX heats quickly to 235°,

from that point it has limited temp rise due to larger volume of blower exhaust.

Heat Exchanger Temp Graphic:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/hx55.html

Larry
how does the machine cool the hx'er if you want to do upholstery or wool?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
hey Larry,

Using hydramaster rating of 184 degrees at 1.6 gpm constant flow, with there 31 hrs unit. (in their advertising)
using normal use, normal incoming temperature.

what wil the dc534 average be?

falcans

Name
Richard
i love e*z truckmounts nick also makes units for cobb carpet cleaning i could of got a 20 hp kohler 2000 psi pump for 7500 + electric hose reel hoses everything but i decided to by the used hydramaster cross fire 4.2 for 5400 saved the money and banked it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom