DAmn Georgia humidity!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
3 days ago, I go to clean a couch and carpet in a basement. Little did I know I was about to inherit a problem. I do my normal cleaning without comprehending there was no dehumidifier in these people's basement, plus the rain outside was starting. I never really worry about outside weather because people have their heat/ac system in their house. So I clean, finish, collect payment, and be on my way

24hrs later, I get a text "Is it normal for the floors to still be wet". That's the worst thing for a carpet cleaner to read on any day. And keep in mind, it's pouring rain out now and I'm behind on jobs. So I get more detail, start panicking and cancel my future jobs to rush over there. And I know it's not good to add more water while damp, but it was starting to smell and they sleep in 2 rooms, so I made the decision to do another cleaning and set up a dehumidifier and 2 fans.

About an hour into the cleaning, my dehumidifier reads 80% Moisture!!!! DAMNIT!!! Finish up and tell her it should be better soon.

Next day comes and I follow up at her house checking on everything. Still a smell and 2 bedrooms where I didn't put a fan in are still damp.:madder::madder::madder: And the moisture is at 60% 24hrs later. DAMNIT AGAIN!!!!

I immediately offered and gave a full refund and told her to leave the dehumidifier running until that reading gets under 50%

I Added moisture to a damp basement and didn't even know. Lesson learned on future jobs with these areas.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
3 days ago, I go to clean a couch and carpet in a basement. Little did I know I was about to inherit a problem. I do my normal cleaning without comprehending there was no dehumidifier in these people's basement, plus the rain outside was starting. I never really worry about outside weather because people have their heat/ac system in their house. So I clean, finish, collect payment, and be on my way

24hrs later, I get a text "Is it normal for the floors to still be wet". That's the worst thing for a carpet cleaner to read on any day. And keep in mind, it's pouring rain out now and I'm behind on jobs. So I get more detail, start panicking and cancel my future jobs to rush over there. And I know it's not good to add more water while damp, but it was starting to smell and they sleep in 2 rooms, so I made the decision to do another cleaning and set up a dehumidifier and 2 fans.

About an hour into the cleaning, my dehumidifier reads 80% Moisture!!!! DAMNIT!!! Finish up and tell her it should be better soon.

Next day comes and I follow up at her house checking on everything. Still a smell and 2 bedrooms where I didn't put a fan in are still damp.:madder::madder::madder: And the moisture is at 60% 24hrs later. DAMNIT AGAIN!!!!

I immediately offered and gave a full refund and told her to leave the dehumidifier running until that reading gets under 50%

I Added moisture to a damp basement and didn't even know. Lesson learned on future jobs with these areas.

Thanks for sharing that cautionary tale.

Even up here in the Middle Atlantic States, "wet houses" cause cleaners no end to grief.

If I can be of any specific help with this ongoing (I hope there isn't anything you have to do other than that), DM me Matt.

Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
What has two thumbs and hasn’t had that problem in almost a year?

No callbacks, just ecstatic customers and referrals more than ever.

Reactions: AlienAgent

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
What has two thumbs and hasn’t had that problem in almost a year?

No callbacks, just ecstatic customers and referrals more than ever.
In 80% humidity, even LMC would've been a headache. Plus, one room had several urine spots that needed flushed.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It’s that new wand.
With being pissed off at Mike during that...That was the first thought that came to mind. But when I looked at the moisture reading on the dehumidifier, I knew what the culprit was.

Because I cleaned it the second time with my prochem ti and the slow drying was still a problem

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
This would’ve been my process in case you care:

Claw piss spots with an acid rinse

Hit the piss spots with an enzyme encap and let dwell for 30 minutes

Clean with the Phoenix using the onboard sprayer (don’t want dwell time in your scenario) and MF scrub pads. Use PCP with some CLO2

Finish up with Polar pads (you’d be shocked to see how much water those pads hold)

If the piss spots were bad, I might’ve slapped down a cheap MF towel and used something in the basement to hold down the pad for a day.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
This would’ve been my process in case you care:

Claw piss spots with an acid rinse

Hit the piss spots with an enzyme encap and let dwell for 30 minutes

Clean with the Phoenix using the onboard sprayer (don’t want dwell time in your scenario) and MF scrub pads. Use PCP with some CLO2

Finish up with Polar pads (you’d be shocked to see how much water those pads hold)

If the piss spots were bad, I might’ve slapped down a cheap MF towel and used something in the basement to hold down the pad for a day.
It wasn’t just flat carpet I cleaned.
Sectional couch
Heavy nylon staircase

And the couch was mildly damp as well.

Your LMC would’ve been just as much of a headache with that much moisture in the air

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris

61905498-0E3C-4349-9E2D-8A32340AE57C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
3 days ago, I go to clean a couch and carpet in a basement. Little did I know

your turn..

you don't know basements are inherently damp?
You don't know all that damn steam coming from under the wand adds humidity to the environment?
AND it's raining?

and you didn't "think" about that, nor advise custy of how to accelerate drying conditions?

from now on....yuuz yo hED, BoY!!

..L.T.A.

FredC

Village Idiot

well at least you know not to do that now....

Get it dry as quickly as possible and set up a reclean. Let them know it might smell a little in the meantime with the high humidity.

I can only remember having this problem personally once in a very nice huge finished basement with berber. The stairs and the area near them was basically a dead airflow space. I have followed other cleaners that stunk up places though

Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
It is a good idea to look for pre-existing conditions in basements. Such as dark spots on picture frames or posters and spots on sheetrock and baseboards. Is there a musty odor or a homeowner-grade dehumidifier in the basement?

Or the humidity could be coming from rain seepage. Hydro Sensors for carpets and pads
are handy to have on the truck and run about $200 from Jon Don.

If you discuss potential problems with customers before cleaning you won’t have to give your hard-earned money back.

Mikey P

Administrator
I can't believe he thinks the undetetective is some manipulative mastermind.
Chris- Mrs Piftleton as you know I offer all the various carpet cleanings methods, from dry as a bone to wet as a bog. Each one is is place and purpose. Taking into consideration the soil level in your home and they type of carpet you have, IF THIS WERE MY HOME, I would do what's called a oscillating absorbent pad meth...

Mrs Piftleton- Chris I trust you to do what's right, you're the professional, please get to work, I have to leave at five, I have a hot date with a former cop I met on Tinder...

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
It’s that new wand.
That’s funny shit right there. But I’m sorry for your loss Matt. Hopefully your customer didn’t except your refund since you worked to make it right. If she did, she’s an ass! Also, I agree lmc isn’t alway low moisture when extreme measures are needed.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom