Direct Drive vs slide in

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Supersucker said:
The problem with the slide-ins is the motor (at least my Briggs). Also have had problems with the engine/blower coupler .

who's TM?
Was it one of the "back yard" builders or one of the major manufactures?

I've sheared one coupler in 6000 hours

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

No problem with my PTO trans here. I'll be swapping my Butler into another van this summer. I know I can do it in about 7-8 hours with my friend. Pretty simple actually, but I grew up working on cars and engines and stuff so maybe it's different for me. BTW, if parts ever break ( which they haven't) the last place I go is butler, I would go to CAT for my pump or Tuthill for my blower the local auto store for belts or anything else. Butler is by far at least 30 percent more money for the same parts.

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
All of you please do yourselves a favor and sell your PTO's and slide ins buy a real mans Truck mount Nordic 1 Truck-mount!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
why don't direct drive manufacturers make a machine with an engine exhaust HX and a diverter valve, ala vortex and aerotech?? if they are worried about engine exhaust going up inside the van whiles its being driven, have some sort of manual gate valve that routes all the exhaust out the regular exhaust system.

everyone sure seems happy with their butlers only problem I see with them, is good god its looks like with the machine, tanks and reels, they pretty much wasted as much possible space in the van as they could. I like the idea of mounting the blower and pump between the seats up front.

Supersucker

Butler fit-out is terrible. Could do better with standard reels & shelving. Also need a rack over the machine console for blowers.
I would look to the Hydramaster/Cleanco design, would be much better.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We've built both Diesel-powered PTOs and Slide-In TM's.

PTO :

1. Usually about double the gas fuel consumption .
2. Designed only for exact year & make van. Very expensive (3K+) to reinstall when you want a new van.
3. Clutch drive usually the weakest point (transfer cases better).
4. Heat generally limited to water temp (~1% with optional HX).
5. Very limited truck selection.
6. Potential Heat Issues w/starter, alternator & power steering pump due to overheating

Slide-In :

1. Reliability dependent on manufacturer ability & experience.
2. Usually requires an operator with more mechanical ability.
3. Heat Exchanger quality & output varies from brand to brand.
4. Engine durability may be compromised by type and design (unless water-cooled).
5. More fuel savings with new Fuel Injected Engines.
6. Outlasts at least TWO vans.

Larry Cobb

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
There is.... a heat exchanger for the blower as an option on the Cleanco.

Hi guys... new to the board... but lets just get this going...

My opinion after many years in the industry is that I would NEVER run a slide in for MANY reasons.

1. Heat inside van
2. smell inside van
3. Slide-ins (for me) always have something leaking. I'm a cleaner, I hate messes! Though I know many cleaners who really don't know what clean is. Just look inside their vans. GROSS!!
4. Harder to work on. Two engines to deal with and many more parts to fix.
5. More maintenance period.

For Direct Drives, I don't have to deal with any of that malarkey. I own a reliable Ford V10 and rarely have any issues. Just works. The set-up is much nicer where-as with a slide in, you're lucky to get the unit in the side door. I have the unit and all the hose reels out the side door and not to mention a small chemical shelf TOO!!

I went Direct Drive back in 1996 and never looked back and never will. Yes they cost a little more in gas but you know what?... I'll pay the extra gas to NOT have all the other problems associated with a slide-in.

And the issue about utilizing the van's engine is bogus! The vehicles engine will WAY out-last any tractor motor, any day. And I am sure their are exceptions, though I personally have never replaced a van engine. I buy new every 5 years. One thing I do that most guys running DD don't, is I open the engine hood on every job. This decreases the engine heat. Some say this looks terrible, but I say it looks Great! Because the customer will ask why do I have the engine hood open and I will tell them that my system runs of the van engine and has the most power, where most other cleaners run a small tractor motor with little to no power.

Also, I will say that anyone thinking that a slide in has more power than a direct drive is very ignorant and most likely knows nothing about a DD, even though they may lie through their teeth and say they do. I know many cleaners who would make better attorneys than cleaners! Such good liars!

My opinion on brands:

HydraMaster: Yes, they have distributors everywhere which is a definite plus if you are not mechanically inclined. But for the two units I owned, I had way more problems with HydraMaster than I care to deal with. I will say that Butler for me, has been the absolute most reliable. So for the few repairs I find myself doing, it's no big deal to have to become a part-time mechanic. But this is VERY part time as I rarely have any problems. My Butler is older and so I recently bought a White Magic... I had MANY problems with this machine for the first 200 hours, but after all the bugs have been worked out, the machine is running like it should.

I'm not really a fan of Cleanco because they believe in cfm's over lift. I believe in a balance of both cfm's and inches of mercury. Cleanco offers only 10 inches of mercury (lift) and I think that is ridiculous! Yes air-flow moves water, but with out enough lift, what's really going to move that volume of air through your hose?? It boggs down very easily, especially with their Quad 56.

On the other hand, White Magics Pro1200HV system offers 20 inches of lift which is double that of Cleanco and my carpets dry within two hours max!

Butler has very good vacuum for a 47 blower... probably the best around.
Their system which is called the 5.8 is really a 47 blower (for those of you that didn't know).

Prochems new Direct Drive is simply a Cleanco unit made for Prochem.

The only other PTO I would consider is an AeroTech. But for me, I don't have a place to park it and it is too big to do the things I need to do at this time. I don't want to have to rent a place to park it. Too Much.

If Butler would get a bigger blower into their big trucks, maybe I would consider one those in the future. They have a nice little 12 foot box. Good enough for me. But I want at least a 56 blower. Carpet simply dries faster even if you are only a single wand'er.

I hope this can help in your endeavor! Good luck.

Rex Tyus

I love guys that criticize the "low lift" of Cleanco and compare it to the grandma level blower speed and choked down plumbing of a White Magic. Makes me giggle. :lol: :lol:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
That Pro1200HV IS a monster...i was looking at one recently......Modernistic sells them!

Rex Tyus

Still giggling. :lol: :lol:

But don't be so sensitive. Many people are taken in by creative marketing. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
SpringerCarpet said:
Also, I will say that anyone thinking that a slide in has more power than a direct drive is very ignorant and most likely knows nothing about a DD, even though they may lie through their teeth and say they do. I know many cleaners who would make better attorneys than cleaners! Such good liars!

Welcome Bro

You were doing good, but you lost me right there.

The weak link on DD is the clutch.
Good for about 32HP is all
Check it out.
those you accuse of lies, are actually more truthful than you

You mentioned opening the hood too.
There must some concern or you wouldn't look like you're broke down on every job

I think Jimmy mentioned he does that too with his Cleancold

...L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Larry..i NEVER had a clutch go out...and i get some serious Hg!

and leave the hood DOWN cuz it's the heat that you WANT!

Rex Tyus

Honey wagons get serious hgs also, but I sure wouldn't want to try to clean carpet with the air flow.

steve r

you guys all need a 1.5 electric.hey at least it doesnt brake down its quit and costs nothing to run. :lol:

oh yeah dries in hours too.how many i cant say im alredy in bed by then.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Larry Cobb said:
We've built both Diesel-powered PTOs and Slide-In TM's.

PTO :

1. Usually about double the gas fuel consumption .
2. Designed only for exact year & make van. Very expensive (3K+) to reinstall when you want a new van.
3. Clutch drive usually the weakest point (transfer cases better).
4. Heat generally limited to water temp (~1% with optional HX).
5. Very limited truck selection.
6. Potential Heat Issues w/starter, alternator & power steering pump

Larry Cobb

Holy smokes, Larry. You had some really terrible luck making those units then.

Most all those observations most certainly do not apply to the myriad of successful CDS systems that abound today. About the only one left true is the limited selection of trucks,... yes that's true.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
Larry..i NEVER had a clutch go out...and i get some serious Hg!

how much HG, you pulling Bob?

Most of us are pulling 14 to 16 hg

and tell the class why you only spin that 47 @1600 RPM
Might as well be running a 36

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
If i can get 16 Hg on a 100' run...WHY would i wanna spin it faster...PTO's are NOT made to spin any faster......i lock and load!

Rex Tyus

If i can get 16 Hg on a 100' run...WHY would i wanna spin it faster...PTO's are NOT made to spin any faster......i lock and load!

If your system shows 16" on your gauge with only 100ft of hose, and an under driven 47 you have some serious plumbing issues.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK..but i disagree....my suck doesn't suck...it sucks!

There can be no issues...cuz there ain't no plumbing....3" straight to the WT about 3'....?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bob, I didn't ask what it "can" run.
I asked what hg you're running

(like day in and day out)

You won't turn that blower past 1600rpm cause you don't want to hurt it
(I don't believe that. It's because of stress on the drive line)
But you want me to believe you run it above Manufacture max HG?
(which I believe is 14hg for a 47)

why yu gotta lie, Pops?

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
direct drive versus slide in

To bring it back to the issue at hand.....

I've had a few CDS machines on different Ford Vans (econoline 250.) Maybe I just have bad luck, but the first 1990 Ford blew a gasket a few times. Well, those Fords supposedly were notoriously bad. Afterward Ford would not endorse PTOs in their vans (void the warrantee.) They lost all the ambulance cotracts etc; About 2000 or so they started to endorse it again. Well my 2002 Ford already had engine problems and the transmission just died a few months ago. Yes, I maintain my van regualarly and diligently.

Duane does know what he is talking about.

My mechanic who is very experienced and knowledgeable claims that none of these vans engines is really designed to work for hours in idle. They are just not built for it and it gets damaged.

The CDS is a dependable machine but whenever I have a problem, when something goes wrong, it has no daddy. Ford blames it on Hydramaster, and guess who Hydramaster blames it on?

Also if you have a warranty repair at the dealership, all those union mechanics don't want to touch it. You have to call their boss and then his boss and then waste hours connecting them with your Hydramaster dealer and after a day or two of fighting them, they do it.
It gets old really quick.

My next one will be a slide in.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

As you may know we have re-built a lot of different machines. But we stick to Butlers, simply because they sell. My son uses them for awhile, and then we sell them.

All the above is interesting. And we too have seen a lot of direct drive units, with transmission problems. However, we have never had a problem ourselves. This is because all that it requires is to monitor the trans fluid. Every problem I ever saw had burnt fluid first.

Thx,
Dale

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I run my cleanco at 12 hgs

I looked at WM/Hydramaster first.

Two local distributors dropped WM because of poor support.

The HM had those funky marine exchangers which I've seen clog up easily and had two bends in their shaft.Which meant more maintenance issues.

Steamgenie at the time was an option but they were going out of business.

I'll stick with my cleanco which only requires me to get in and clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom