Disinfecting the machine from blood

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I just did a job that included cleaning up some blood. Not a lot, it didn't look like a crime scene,but the lady who's blood it was has hepatitis C. I probably should have asked ahead of time. Now I'm a little concerned about having that virus fester in my machine. I used an enzyme to break down the blood and then extracted it with cold water, followed by my normal prespray and rinse procedure.So I never got enough heat onto the blood to kill whatever virus was in there.
So my question is,what kind of procedure do you use to disinfect your machine and the waste tank. Do you use any other protection for yourself on a job like that ? I was using latex gloves but no mask. Am I too paranoid here?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It can also be transmitted sexually so I'd abstain until it's cleaned up. :shock:

Seriously it shouldn't be a problem use peroxide, eye & hand protection. It can't live in room temperature for more than 4-days either.

!gotcha!

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Bleach water sucked thru the tool used and hoses should be fine. Make sure you get the ouside of the tool as well.

We suck all sorts of bad stuff thru everyday without knowing it. Just dont French kiss the equipment and you will do fine.

Adam

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
This thread illustrates something cleaners deal with every day and don't know enough about. As a guy that's had a rash cover his chest and arms without ever touching anything in sewer back-up, I wouldn't treat this casually. Just sucking some oxidizer through the hoses might be all you need to do, but I might also consider a more careful washdown of your tank and equipment with a biocide made for the purpose.

That's why Patrick is doing this presentation at the the Cleaning College in Reno

Patrick Paluga – Blood Borne Pathogens What Cleaners Must Know

If you or your employees encounter any bodily fluids, you and they are in danger of contracting a variety of diseases. Some, like AIDS and hepatitis, are debilitating or deadly. This presentation will let you know what you need to do to comply with the law and keep you and your employees safe.

Our presenter: Patrick Paluga will be coming from Dallas, Texas, where he owns Alliance Biohazard, a restoration company specializing in biohazard remediation. He has been in the cleaning industry for over 25 years and is an I.I.C.R.C. Master Cleaner and Master Restorer. He is an OSHA instructor and also teaches coursees in Crime Scene Cleanup and Meth Lab Scene Remediation.

And, in his spare time, he is also an active fire fighter and medic.

Magic One

Just go to Wally Mart or Sams Club and buy a chemical that kills hiv and hepatis. Bleach is good too.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I'm now the regular cleaner for a pretty good sized retirement facility and that's why I'm very interested in getting this right.
What is this biocide called you are talking about Bryan? Should I run it through the machine and spray out the tank with it or does it need to sit in the tank for a while?
So far I have only encountered various food stains and some urine, but it's only a matter of time before I run into human feces and more blood in that facility. That's why I really need to know how to deal with that and be safe at the same time.
Should I turn down jobs that have human blood involved or feces? Is the risk of catching anything pretty small? Should I wear some type of mask on jobs like that?
If there is blood,I should probably charge extra but how much? This job was a 2 bedroom house that I might do for 189.- normally and the blood was in the (carpeted) bathroom.I charged the customer 245.- and I included protector for the bathroom only. I know what you charge varies depending where you do business.I'm in northern Idaho and it's not a wealthy area but does that sound about right?

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
charge for your time to clean your equipment afterwards,, and gloves/eye protection worn during the job!

dont forget,,that urine itself is a bloodborne pathogene!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Blood on any synthetic carpet gets a heavy dose of straight 40 volume . By the time we get to it it is usually gone. We then alway rotovac it. We take it outside and run hot water backwards I don't worry about it af that We clean up more than I would ever have believed .

Gene

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'd think the best bet would be to treat the area prior to extraction so there's no equipment contamination to worry about. While oxidizers (chlorine bleach, peroxide) might be biocides, they can be awfully hard on textiles and there are lots of biocides available that won't hurt carpet. Your local supplier probably carries the Microban line, but they should be able to tell you which of their products would work best for the situation you describe.

I'm not as up to date as I should be, which is why I'm looking forward to the seminar. I have heard that saturation and dwell time can be critical, and the cleaners that even bother to use biocodes often apply them too lightly or don't leave them long enough to complete the kill. This is the last thing I want to vaporize into my face.

John Watson

Bryan, Sorry i can't make the CCINW/CFI cleaning college. The last Blood born pathagen class I took was put on by WA State. My Helen and I attended. The class was full, about 50 people, We were the only Carpet cleaners there. The rest were nurses and dental Hygentists. Why are CCers here we were asked? WE clean doctor and dental officesand want to make sure the enviroment is also safe for our employeesIt would be interesting to know . I never had another employee do this typr of work again. It was either me or Jay that handled them.. (Jay was part owner) Keeping employee records up to date for 20 plus years weather he still worked for you or not, Keeping a file on the job that long also because if someone in the next 20-24 years that was on one of these type job W/O Special training got sick for any reason they could come nback and file a claim and say they must have picked it up on our job..

It would be interesting to know what the current Law status is now.

Roxy as Bryan said Microban is great for that bleach will kill it but can hurt your Machine. Your local Marty can help you...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Byan's class sounds like a great class but for those of you too far away don't let that stop you from education yourself. You can take a certified Bloodborne Pathogens class online for under $20.00.

Here is one but they are many.
http://www.probloodborne.com/en/

You might also consider a Biorecovery class, retirement communities are going to have cases where bodily fluids will need to be cleanup and proper handing, cleaning and disposal will be required. This is far beyond the scope of the Bloodborne pathogen's class.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom