Do I really want to do this for a living?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
As bland as it was... .Richard is correct........6 years ago the only thing I knew about fibers is what I had to put in my diet...We both quit our day jobs built our company from nothing to what it is now and never looked back...It takes a lot of dedication and some sacrifices for the first 2 or 3 years..so be prepared..IMO this is not a decision that anyone on this board or any other can make but you...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Peter why not use your real name for starters before we begin?

Confidential?

TimP

You'll be able to do much more work per day with a truckmount not to mention way better quality. There are plenty of deals to be had. I purchased just a TM machine for back up and I'm looking to find a trailer to put it in. But even if I was looking for a used van to put it in I'd be well under 10 grand to get it going. You can definitely find something for 15 grand or less. And it can be paid for quite quickly if you have a very strong work ethic. I wish I would of purchased a used TM right away instead I purchased new. So don't make the mistake I did. I could of bought 2 used truck mounts for what I've spent in payments and all. But as far as I'm concerned if you're doing residential carpet a truck mount is the best way to go. I also think that you really don't want to be under another business, but that's something you'll have to decide on.

Many aren't cut out for being in business for themselves. Many aren't motivated to do the paper work and taxes required to stay in business, and market to get enough business. I know someone who is self employed and say they are going to pay their taxes at the end of the year but they always blow the money then have to put it on credit cards and end up not paying it. You have to be responsible not to mention be able to forsee what money you need to keep around to keep afloat.

Cleaning can be a very good business but for me I'd say I see about 1/4th of the money coming in going into a my paycheck. The rest pays bills and debts incured getting the business going. Once my TM is payed for I can see more going into my pocket but it's along road ahead.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Sounds like your son is in some bait and switch company.
I hope he doesn't learn all the unethical sales techniques to sour his education and perhaps your future in this business.

But my opinion of portables in general for a start up are not very good.
I started with a 10 gallon /2 vac/100 psi portable and believe me I would never start that way again.

M

Mark Imbesi

...and here I thought T was gonna sell him a truckmount! LOL!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
newbie_steaming said:
I lost my job of 9+ years back in July. My unemployment runs out in two weeks.
Peter

you can collect unemployment for NINE years?

or is that a typo and was 9 "months" ?

edit..never mind, I read that wrong

newbie_steaming said:
My wife and son have played a huge role in supporting the family, while I've done a lot of household repairs.

so you dicked around the house since July collecting unemployment while your wife and kid picked up the slack for the portion of income unemployment didn't cover ?

i doubt you have what it takes.
other wise you'd of been asking this question 9 months ago
NOT 2 weeks before your unemployment runs out

here's a thought, you could become a painter.
Much less equipment costs involved, and like carpet cleaning, almost any idiot can be a start up biz

..L.T.A.

Name
George Valliant
Peter, the perfect time to have started a business would have been six months ago when you first got laid off, the weather was better, and you could have milked unemployment the whole time while getting your business off the ground. I’m sure you have reasons but it does make me wonder if have what it takes be your own boss. Well, do ya punk?

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
newbie_steaming said:
I lost my job of 9+ years back in July. My unemployment runs out in two weeks.

Sounds like he had that job for 9 years.

Whats your plan for getting customers? Buying a TM wont make your phone ring! Whats your plan???

Since your in NY, I don't think too many people will want their carpets cleaned until spring, why don't your work for the same company along with your son & get more experience.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jim Nazarian said:
[quote="newbie_steaming":39lbdf23]I lost my job of 9+ years back in July. My unemployment runs out in two weeks.

Sounds like he had that job for 9 years.

.[/quote:39lbdf23]

yee, thank Jim.
i eventually figured it out after i read again :oops: :oops:

Hope we didn't scare the dude the off.
But he needed a dose of honest, hard hitting, candid thoughts before he blew his savings and/or mortgaged the house.

another board might not be so candid and instead make an effort to sell him the moon

..L.T.A.

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Good grief. It's pretty easy to read and understand that he lost his 9 year old job back in J-U-L-Y. Are you people stupid because you're carpet cleaners, or are you carpet cleaners because you're stupid?

I'm one because I can't get along with people.

Cameron1

ODIN said:
ODIN wrote:
better go over to t m f or ics

no one here is really going to give a flying fook about a dude named Peter confidential

you ask real life questions and want real life answers and your name is confidential?

I say that's pretty RUDE

this is what the lurker just sent me

between you and me, get bent!

and this is from the lurker.

Oggie,
will you re-read the above post and tell me if it makes any sense

Cameron1

admiralclean said:
Good grief. It's pretty easy to read and understand that he lost his 9 year old job back in J-U-L-Y. Are you people stupid because you're carpet cleaners, or are you carpet cleaners because you're stupid?

I'm one because I can't get along with people.

Speaking of cleaners.........How's the big truck running ?

ps to mod'ers ...........I'm watching you

It's nice to see some good insights and I appreciate them. I'm not at all surprised to see a vendor jump into a discussion feet first and start a flame war. I come from the trucking industry, been on other discussion forums, seen it before...
I've got THOUSANDS to invest maybe now, maybe a few months from now, but certainly no later than April. I would NEVER do business with such a nasty individual. I couldn't imagine why anybody would! I thought posting PM's is a violation of TOS and will not be tolerated.
As for my own violation of TOS, why don't I give my last name? Right now my son works for someone who may very well read this board. I may work for someone who reads this board. More likely than not, I will start a carpet cleaning business in 3-4 months. Do you think I'm stupid? Do I want to get my son fired? Seriously, if you are so insecure that I'm going to rip you off, fine, don't say a word. Insulting me from the get go is pretty poor standards of professionalism.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I completely understand Peter. I have no idea why some of these girls are so anal about peoples names. I mean, if profiles were required, then folks would just put in fake names.

I guess most of us are carpet cleaners cuz we aren't too smart ... and it shows.

Fon Johnson

You are planning on entering what can be a very tough business at the very worst time of the year. There is more than likely someone near you who would be glad to help show you the ropes, if only they knew who you were, and that you are near them.

As for myself, I have screwed myself out of TENS of thousands by helping my competitors. I don't want to do it again, and many others feel the same way.

Cameron1

newbie_steaming said:
I lost my job of 9+ years back in July. My unemployment runs out in two weeks. I have about $5,000 in severance pay, $1,500 in savings and about $8,000 in my 401k. I have very good credit and good equity in my home. A business loan may be a possibility.
My wife and son have played a huge role in supporting the family, while I've done a lot of household repairs. It's agood thing we aren't in credit card debt.
My son has been cleaning carpets since June of 2008, when he graduated. The company he works for has about six portable extractors. I know they have a Pwerflite 9 gal. self contained, non heated, 100 psi unit. I know they have several Mytee Kodiaks, 100 psi, non-heated. I know they have a Mytee Speedster 250 psi heated unit for more heavily soiled situations. They have one or two others of unknown brand or type.
They pay my son 33.33% of the amount charged. He's grossing $125-150 per day. He's doing OK. He has a lot of milage to write off his taxes. The owner goes out and does estimates. He sends 5-6 workers out every day to do 2-3 jobs. Business seems OK.
I've gone out to observe and help my son (for no money) several times in the past month. I think we could afford to do this for ourselves.
I don't know if I want a truckmount, the price tag scares me.
Any ideas about jumping in? All advice is appreciated!
Peter

I can help you with your marketing .......like the best Guru and all that...........do you know how to use paypal ?

Mike Draper

Fon said....
You are planning on entering what can be a very tough business at the very worst time of the year

Not to mention the worst yet economy to come in many years.

The first couple of years are going to be hard. If you get all your ducks in a row you can start to be profitable faster than most. My opinion is if you are going to start a business, start it the right way, with a used, but good Truckmount. You want to be able to give your customers the best cleaning possible and a porty will just make that much, much harder to do. find out what is the best phonebook for your area and go with that one and start researching good marketing. "get some of your marketing ideas from the succesful corporations" They spend millions on marketing research. I've gotten some of my best maketing ideas from commercials. I think one more important thing is that people will always remember a poor job over a cheap price. So start with quality and higher prices in the beginning. You want people to choose you because you are quality not a cheap price.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Have you been looking for a job since you were laid off? I would hate to think you are waiting till the last minute to decide what too do to support your family. This biz is'nt one of just showing up and making money. You do have to do a lot of stuff to get it rolling. If you are good with people, have integrity and willing to work hard you can make it. But you would have been better served to start during the busy season from july forward not the winter survival mode season of january forward. All I can say is don't buy on credit right now keep low low overhead and clean for anyone that has a pulse to start with even if you have to use a portable. Good luck. :mrgreen:

G

I would definently look into a more powerful porty if that is your first choice in a way to start. Such a Recoil; you can slap a generator in a van and use it as a truck mount. then if you survive as mentioned above for the first couple of years then look into the truck mount.

If you are a serious poster; these guys here are no holds barred; they don't mince with words when posting here; unlike some forums that will edit your post when you get testy with some greedy property manager for trying to dog out his maintenance workers for the sake of a buck instead of putting some hard working c/c's to work on a steady basis. So be honest Peter Cottontail; or whatever; sounds better than Confidential.

And feel free to call me; I don't care who you are; I will give you advice; just tell us your last name!!

G

Go to work for someone who has a Truck Mount. In 3-6 months you aught to be ready to either go it on your own or move on to another profession.

Greenie

I'm with Josh, assuming your people skills are one step above Odin and Marty's, you'd do well to score a job and learn some more about the Industry as a whole, plus the best cleaning unit to use is someone else's investment in a struggling economy, take a 2-3 core cleaning related classes, like carpet, odor, and upholstery, and put some time on the clock with a truckmount while your son continues subbing porty work and you'll quickly see the path that will be most attractive for both of you.

Keep your money in your pocket/investements and get back to pulling a steady paycheck.

Do they really use single vac, 100psi machines 3 jobs a day? Is it a legit Co. or high pressure sales with a basic squirt and suck with whatever is under the bathroom sink if the fish don't bite?

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I used a porty for 3 years, stay away from anything you have to carry buckets of water for. Looks terrible to the customer, wears you out physically, and is an all around PITA. As it has been mentioned before, good deals can be had on used truckmounts, and if you can turn a wrench that is even better.

I have never used one, but a used Bane Clene unit can be bought for less than a new portable and will be alot more efficient. If I had it to do over again, that is what I would have started with until I could afford a real TM.

Save some money for marketing, I found out the hard way customers don't come easy or cheap.

This business is fantastically rewarding in so many ways, it is the only job I can imagine doing.

Name
I'm Rick James
Heres my take.

This is a great industry to be in with tons of opportunity if you want to work. You dont have to be a carpet cleaner for the rest of your life. Since you are in your mid 40's it get tough to do it on a daily basis. Why not be a business owner that owns a carpet cleaning business. :D :D :D If you do it right and with the help of your son you can build a business. This is a easy industry to get into. Here is what I suggest.

Buy a used truckmount there are great deals right now and get a used good looking van. Image is very important. Dont get suckered into buying all the toys. All you really need is a good glided wand, hydraforce, electric sprayer, stair tool, uph tool and some little odd and ends like stair strap, brush, ect.

Dont waste your money on one marketing outlet like YP or something like that. Hit the pavement and sell yourself. Word of mouth and refferals is your biggest, cheapest return. Door hanger....Keep overhead cost low.

This is a job of customer service. So that is the key to making a cheerleader and of course quality work.

Just vacuum prior to cleaning, pretreat the carpet, agitate with a groomer to start, prespot the bad stains, extract at 300-400 psi, always dry stroke, push protector and deodorizer, groom the carpet after its clean and protected, set up an air mover because dry times are important and that is about it for carpet cleaning, its NOT rocket science. Just remember customer service is key.

How to market yourself is very important. You are 1 of a 100 cleaners to choose from, so why choose you, why are you so special? Figure that out. The marketing room on this BB can help you with all your questions and people can steer you in the right place on what works and what doesnt. There are some great, successful people here that are willing to help you.

Get certified when you can, maybe work for another company to start.

The business you start now can be your retirement fund if you want it to be. Like I said focus on being a business owner vs a carpet cleaner so when the wand gets harder to push you can hire other people to push it for you, so you can run your business into your 60' and 70's. We all cant do this forever, it can wear a body down. Cleaning carpets can take a toll on peoples back. So I strongly suggest stretching before you go to the job and start cleaning, strech the muscles out so they dont get stiff and sore.

Having a good business plan and market plan is the foundation to any business, without it you could be wasting time and money. People here can help you with that. Have a good **SIMPLE** system in place, so that if other come in they can learn it quick and be good at it.

Did I mention customer service is the KEY?

Good luck I hope you do it and there are people here to help you and there are people here to give you a hard time, but we all want you to succeed.

Brent

Name
I'm Rick James
What do you want to study in college?

I hope your dad does it. If he is a hard worker and dedicated, it could be his retirement ticket.

8th floor you usually spin a rag or use a porty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom