Do you ask the homeowner to prevac???

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My client prevac'd and was finishing as I arrived.
Thought I'd run mine over it just to see what he missed.
DSC_0777.jpg

This green stuff is from UV damage to the fibres on the stair risers.
DSC_0776.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

You can see how they are rounded. The UV breaks it down and leaves a lot of dust. See this lots with this type of carpet by south facing windows.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Ivebeensold What are you talking about? We're not interested in the

hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon. It's fixed! Just open the door,

you stupid lump

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ron
I need to get me a couple of those vacuums, that thing kicks butt!

That carpet is U G L Y looks like the 70's! :shock:

They need to replace it instead of clean it!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I always tell every customer that asks...or when the subject comes up....to vacuum first....and often.

Has anyone ever told their customer NOT to vacumm??

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
no one ever explained about carpet cleaning to them
That carpet IS from the 70's early 80's, all they've ever done is run a rental/home unit over it.

I cringe when I think about what a lot of guys are cleaning, thinking that its "vacuumed". The crap they must leave behind! And it "looks" clean! :roll:

One thing to watch for, if you GAS, is carpet degraded by sunlight. LOTS of particulate in a very small area from the break down of the fibres and backing.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
One thing to watch for, if you GAS, is carpet degraded by sunlight.
The whole backside of my house is glass. :shock: The wife's idea not mine.

View is nice but we pay for it in higher utilities......and now carpet breakdown. :(

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ron Werner said:
I cringe when I think about what a lot of guys are cleaning, thinking that its "vacuumed". The crap they must leave behind! And it "looks" clean! :roll:

Having been on this board for a while, I feel confident saying that: You must cringe a lot Ron.

As every odd month or so, you seem to feel the urge to raise this old issue anew.
I naively thought that this subject by now may have been beaten to death. However, no such luck.

Just vac away Ron.
We love you for it :p

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
topic is probably beaten to death only with the regulars on the board,
I do cringe when I hear some "professional" cleaning carpets within an hour and homeowner vacuumed.
It will never stop, but I have slowed the freq of the posts 8)
I thought this pic was interesting with the green band :roll:

Soda Pop Curtis said:
One thing to watch for, if you GAS, is carpet degraded by sunlight.
The whole backside of my house is glass. :shock: The wife's idea not mine.

View is nice but we pay for it in higher utilities......and now carpet breakdown. :(
Just get a good window film to cut the UV and Infrared.

gavin

Brian R said:
I always tell every customer that asks...or when the subject comes up....to vacuum first....and often.

Yes.

If I am going to vacuum anyways as part of my service why have them do a substandard vacuum beforehand. I don't ever tell customers that they have to vacuum before I come. and if they ask, I tell them not to worry about it and that pre vacuuming is part of my service.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
took about an hour, stairs, hall and TA's in 3 rooms, not really a big area, but the better job I do vacuuming the better the steam cleaning.

I tell people all the time to not bother vacuuming, let me worry about that, relax and just make sure all the small stuff is removed.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like the vacuum and love the results you're getting but for the time it takes I'd have to double my rate for that type of cleaning.

How much you think we'd remove in 15-minutes?

Seriously or is that not long enough to make a difference from the vacuum we already use.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
gavin said:
Brian R said:

Yes.

If I am going to vacuum anyways as part of my service why have them do a substandard vacuum beforehand. I don't ever tell customers that they have to vacuum before I come. and if they ask, I tell them not to worry about it and that pre vacuuming is part of my service.

I've told people that I will vacuum when I get there but it never hurts to vacuum before then.

At least they can help get the larger debris....Not too mention maybe they will move some of the laundry and toys out of the way in the process. !gotcha!

If they do vacuum, they are more likely to be prepared when you get there.
Then you explain that you always vacuum again because it's part of your process as to not hurt their feelings. :roll:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Soda Pop Curtis said:
I like the vacuum and love the results you're getting but for the time it takes I'd have to double my rate for that type of cleaning.

How much you think we'd remove in 15-minutes?

Seriously or is that not long enough to make a difference from the vacuum we already use.

I'm not in any race so I move it as fast as I can without detriment to its performance, let it do its work. I've seen some people moving a wand and/or a vacuum as if it were an aerobic exercise!! I've told clients that if they work up a sweat vacuuming, it must be a very HOT humid day.

If I vacuumed all that in 15 min I may as well have just done the edging and thrown it back in the truck.
Some guys would wand that in 15min. Hacks. It'll look "better" but there was a LOT left on the table.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
what Brian R said early in the thread. Duh, vacuum sloooowly like you mean it blah blah blah. I've filled bags and exploited it to client after client. Month after month I can't seem to track the cash flow from being the geeky hero who vacuums and points it out to the client. Not saying I don't vacuum almost every job, just saying I'm filling bags and not my business checking account doing so. And by all means let's keep talking about vacuuming or not vacuuming.

lance

I have the same vac as Ron has. It is powerful and I love the clear canister. But it is heavy, especially when you compare it to a regular bag vac (sanitaire, eureka, etc.)

What is good about it being heavy is that the weight slows you down. You don't want to make short, choppy strokes like you would with a lighter vacuum. With this vac you can make long easy passes and see the dirt and hair come into the canister.

I am always suprised at the amount of dirt that i pick up even though I vacuum my house two or three times a week. You can see the dirt and you can see that it is very fine, like a powder. It also picks up cat hair very easily. I have a long haired orange cat so the fur is all over the place and you cant miss it. You don't have to go super slow in order to pick up the hair. Just one slow pass and it's gone.

I know that I don't vacuum as slow as Ron does. But I do spend extra time on the traffic lanes and I can see if anything is being picked up. The cleartrak is especially good if there is deoderizer powder in the carpet. You can see how much you got in a certain area and you can always empty the canister very easily and go over that area again to see if more is coming up.

Knowing Ron he took extra time with the stairs expecially when he say the green stuff going into the canister. To do a hall and 3 bedrooms would probably take me about 25 minutes to vacuum. But I know that by using the cleartrak I am getting up a lot of dirt and hair.....maybe not as much as Ron did but a good amount for sure. And then the TM will get whatever it can, so most if not all the dirt will be gone from the carpet. Using this vacuum and a high performance TM is a great combination. I don't feel like I have to rush the vacuuming part because it is an important step and accomplishes a lot all by itself.

Richard, this vacuum is not one that you would want to use if a quick once-over is all you want your techs to do. It is too heavy and not small so it would be a bad fit for that. But if you have places that you can really take your time and do a great job (I think Ron charges 50 cents a foot for cleaning) then this vacuum would be a great choice for you. I haven't used it on a commercial job yet but I think that it will do very well there too, especially if I use my Whittaker with a soft brush to break up the traffic lanes and then vac before the PS and wand cleaning.

When you see the suction power of these vacuums picking up the dirt and hair so easily it really makes you proud of having such a high-quality item to help you clean the carpets. You do get used to it being a very heavy vacuum but when that clear canister fills up like it does with Ron's pictures then you know that a lot of dirt is not there when you go and clean it with the wand.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
lance said:
You do get used to it being a very heavy vacuum ...
Uhhh, Lance, I don't believe Richard wants to push anything "heavier" than a big plate full of enchiladas.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I will grudgingly admit that Richard (and Dan) have outdone themselves on their brilliant new Water Damage for Dummies series. It does have a few "echoes" (OK, entire pages read the same word for word) of Ivan Turner's "How to get plumbers to refer you" articles:

http://sfs.jondon.com/8807/blog/how-to- ... rrals-free

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Is Richard’s program for real?

Hey Steve, I hear your boy Turner is battling lawsuit(s) over bad WRD / Mold job(s) that might tank his company.

Any truth to that???

L

LVCarpetCleaning

Well, at least they get to see the difference between a professional vacuum and their own. Its good for business.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Fred Homan said:
Most home owners/custodial people do not vacuum worth a $hit....

Amen to that...But if they can get up some of the debris......it don't hurt none. :mrgreen:

Just don't depend on it.

But my argument only suits one side of the process.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
yes, if the homeowner can get the stuff off the surface, then I can focus on getting the stuff that really matters.
The better I can do step 1, the less concerns I have about the following steps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom