Do you like your 14" wand?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I'm thinking about getting a larger(14") wand(2" tube).

Do you find it difficult to maneuver in a residential setting?

I'm using a 12"(1.5 tube) now with a whip hose.

So I'd have to ditch the whip and run 2" to the wand, is this also a pain? Seems like I'd be banging into thing a lot, you just get used to it?

Thanks!

dday

I switched to a Joe Bristor VT-14 6 months ago from a 12" 1.5 w/25 ft whip, and after the first day or two, I couldn't imagine going back to the smaller wand.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I have had four or five 2" wands and prefer their performance over the 1.5" wands. We have at times used the smaller wands for the maneuverability and fatigue relief.

For the last year or so I feel we've had the best of both with the 14" wide by 2" tubed carbon fiber Bentley wand.

Wands are VERY much subject to personal preference.

Another good guy on the board HATED my wand...."Different strokes for different folks" is the mantra for wand selection.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
All my trucks use the westpak 14" wand with a 2" tube. Lately since im obsesive on dry times I have considered buying a westpak 12" wand with a 2" tube. a 14" wand is a little over 15% wider than 12 and I would think that would actually make a big difference on air velocity going into the wand. Just an idea, only way to know is testing I suppose

Name
BradFenstermaker
I had a 14 ti wand for several yrs. used it daily. Then I decided I was lazy and went back to my 12 with 1.5 tube.

My back thanks me every morning. I miss it some on large commercial.

Try shortening the whip hose of yours to just long enough to lay on the floor a couple of feet.

I plan to get a West Pak next time.

2" in is better at drying but not enough for the fatigue it caused me all day use.

Get one and try it out. Your the only one that can really decided.

Lars

Name
Lars
I use both depending on the job. Prochem 6 jet ergonomic ti wand and Prochem 4 jet wand. Small one works nice on tight jobs and the 14" on larger jobs.

Keep both in the truck. Nothing wrong with having another arrow in your quiver

S

sam miller

Ya well since Mikes is a stair tool as well he would really be up a creek with out a 2in wand! :shock:

I carry 3 wands a aw29 open with out a glide for no electriy hi debree cleaning a quad prochem with bristor sheer kit that has 2 bars 4 flow and 12 flow depending on the carpet and a PC Ti with GG and 9 flow for big areas. I do alot of vacants and its really nice.

Then I back them all up with rx20 for extreme cases.

ps and I love my aw29 mini for steps

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Wands are VERY much subject to personal preference.

BINGO

see if you can borrow one or three different ones to try before you buy, Coop

when we first got out Ti it seemed a MILE long compared to the AW29 (and/or knock off variants) we used previously.(which I still consider a great wand)
The Ti wasn't much heavier though, and I started running 2" hose directly to the wand over 20 years ago.
so there was no difference there.

all things being equal (like carpet and drying conditions) Dry times has as much to do with technique and amount of pre-spray applied as anything .

the longer wand is most definitively more difficult in tight areas like small bed rooms with lots of furniture .

the larger tube will also seem HUGE to the hand at first .
But it didn't take long to feel "normal"

2 inch more cleaning width makes a difference ..maybe not a huge difference , but a couple/three less wand strokes in a 15 ft wide room adds up in a day

weight is the biggest detractor .
and the truth is, if not for Ti construction, (light wt) we'd be using AW29's and/or knock offs .

having said all that....try before you buy if at all possible
and try more than one

..l.T.A.

Name
I'm Rick James
I use a westpak 14x2 and love it. That being said, my nephew hates it and uses the Hydra hoe 12x1 1/2.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I have and prefer the 12inch for residential. I do have a 2inch tube and no whip line. I use Joes lil better vac hose which is more flexible as our lead lines. Drop the whip line and see how much your vac improves! We use cmp 12 inch 2 inch tubed 4 jet wands with Teflon holed glides. Love em! Now, if they made these exact wands we have in titanium I would own those.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
A single jet Steamway wand is the best for builders grade Nylon with no dry stroke IMO.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I carry both the Ti wand and the PC Quad. Some trashed out jobs respond better to the smaller quad because it has a more concentrated path and jet coverage. Most jobs I do use the Ti cranked to about 800 psi. Both are glided.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I ended up falling a sleep and missing the end of the ebay auction. Who sets up an auction to end at 1:00am!?

14" westpak wand w/glide went for 275$!

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
jcooper said:
Do you like your 14" wand?

I don't normally respond to personal questions but i'm running a 7" wand and unless the wife is telling stories I think she likes it fine. 8)

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
TMI Larry shiteatinggrin

I think the 14"/2" style wand with multiple jets is great for cleaning - yes they're ergonomically a bit of a pain, but if I use a 1.5" wand now I just don't feel like I'm cleaning (I don't have one any more) - it's totally different. As for the "bumping into things", I think you just get used to being more careful. It's more the tube than the 14" head that makes things a bit more challenging. I'd like to try one of those 2" carbon type wands to see how much lighter/easier to handle they are.

XCC

I used a Prochem Quad for 21 years and now have 14" Bentley swivel. The PCQ feels like a cast iron sewer pipe compared to the Bent. 11.5# compared to 8#. The Bentley with a Green Glide is the best edger I have ever used due to slimmer vac head, 110 deg 02 jet and the small slot on the edge of the glide. With the swivel I can now clean the corners of my custys walk in closets with out brushing my sweaty body against their country club garb. I also moved the handle to the top of the carbon fiber joint and turned it around backwards. This makes the handle level with the grip and to me feels easier to lift. My Bent is the standard size. It's the same height as a PCQ but a few inches shorter. I'm going to add a 14" XL non swiv Bentley w/ GG for wide open areas and empties when the RX20 isn't needed.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Why would you HAVE to lose your whip line? They make a 1.5 inch cuff that fits on a 2 inch wand. No way I would lug a 2 inch hose around all day. Sometimes I lose the whip when I get down to the last room to help with the dry times BUT it doesn't make that big of difference. No matter what these guys say.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I started using a 14"/2" Greenhorn about 4yrs ago from a 12"/1.5" AW29. I thought I would miss being able to get into the smaller areas that I can with the 12". But I was just thinking last week how I wouldn't want to go back to a smaller wand. It has some tradeoffs but I like the wider swath and I can get into most places that I could with the 12". The only way I would go to a 12" wand is if it was 2" tubing, angled jets and holed glide.

XCC

KevinL said:
Why would you HAVE to lose your whip line? They make a 1.5 inch cuff that fits on a 2 inch wand. No way I would lug a 2 inch hose around all day. Sometimes I lose the whip when I get down to the last room to help with the dry times BUT it doesn't make that big of difference. No matter what these guys say.
Connecting a 2" wand to a 1.5' WHIP back to a 2" hose is going to be a Rube Goldberg rig at best. I use my oldest and most flexible 50 ft length of 2" Haviland hose for easy pipe swinging when attached to my Bentley. Check the reading on your vac gauge before and after connecting your 1.5" whip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom