does anyone here not use a fresh water tank?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
This week my thelper broke my transfer pum to my freshwater tank. Rather than take out my backup tm I have just been using a hose hooked up to a faucet instead. I have noticed this isnt as big of a pain as I thought it would be. With it being cold here and having a small tm I have been getting better heat when hooked up to hot water plus better gas mileage since my 120 gallon water tank is not full. I love having a freshwater tank but I think even after the new transfer pump comes in I may start utilizing the live hose more often when it makes sense. Do any of you clean most of the time or part of the time without your fresh tank?

Name
Lee Stockwell
I have a 160 gallon fresh tank, but usually have 40-60 gallons in it unless I've got a big day.

It only takes a few seconds to switch back and forth. I have a manifold on the front of the machine that simplifies it. When I hook up to customer's water I can also be filling the tank and feeding the pump at the same time, and have a washdown hose as well.

It's a pain in the neck to not have ANY water onboard. Murphy's law dictates that you will then need it.

First van did and I went though a set of brake pads every 9 months. The van I have now don't and I would never run a van with one again. Hard on transmission and brakes and stopping distance is reduced.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I guess I've just been lucky for 30 years carrying onboard water? I have the front pads done annually for $68, which I'd do anyway for peace of mind. The old pads are never completely worn out.

There's little need to carry a full load all the time. Driving habits affect driveline reliability. E350 extended Ford.

Becker

Name
Becker
Working in a cool winter climate zone outside water hookup year around next to garage in driveway years not a problem.

I've ran my propane unit feed via hot water hook up, but not the heat exchange unit.

As for brakes. I went 85k miles on the one ton with 4 way disk brakes.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
never had it.....

though there are a few days wish i did...

BUT

I also run a "live line" something like this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200466750

have run it for like 6 yrs, and just had to replace the o-rings in it..(still leaks a little)

I have no tires on it and bolt it out the back of my truck..(boxtruck)....and have 2 sections of that sams club hose on it.....i have yet to never reach anywhere....takes a few minutes to hook up is all....

Name
R.J. Povio
for you guys worrying about brakes, tires and tranny issues just fill your water tank halfway or less. We shut the outside water spigot off when we are halfway through the job to save on unneeded weight in the van. If we have to travel far, I try to make sure the fresh and dirty water tanks are close to empty before the commute. Just because you have a 100+ gallon freshwater tank doesn't mean you have to keep it full all the time.

If you are not sure if you can get water on your next job, then its worth the peace of mind to have a full tank of water.

As for brakes lasting 9 months, that has to be the way you drive your van. We have had our half ton trucks brakes last at least a year to a year and half. The e250 and e350 brakes last 35-50k miles.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Don't have a fresh water tank.

Don't have a waste water tank.

Do have a small waste filter box that holds about a gallon in the bottom.

All else is pumped direct to sewer or garden.

Hook up to a tap (faucet/spigot whatever) fresh water supply.

Been stuck maybe 5 times in 30 years, and most of those would have been due to low water pressure up in the hills.

Shorty down under

FredC

Village Idiot
Contemporary Carpet Clean said:
for you guys worrying about brakes, tires and tranny issues just fill your water tank halfway or less. We shut the outside water spigot off when we are halfway through the job to save on unneeded weight in the van. If we have to travel far, .

I don't have the setup anymore or I would post a pic but......

I tapped my fresh tank with a second input/float/cutoff valve for just this reason......@ about 30 gallons

since I hooked directly to the tank with the fresh input selecting which input, high or low, wasn't a big deal......( White Magic Pro 2000)

the same could be done with 'Y" though..........

most of the time I was riding 'light" on water....................cause it isn't hard to come by even in winter here......but had the capacity to fill up for commercial, empties, and apartments.......even when it ended up not being needed

starting the day "full" definitely has its advantages, time wise, though.......

even more so on an OLD HX unit with a ghetto insulated tank filled at home from the hot water in the morn

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
my other 2 set ups had a fresh tank...bought a tank for the new set up and never installed it...finally just sold the thing....

don't miss it...don't need it....

Name
Lee Stockwell
As several other here noted, it's not necessary to carry a full tank at all times. I hook up to tap less than half the time, and when I do I refill the tank depending on the estimated size of the next job.

It's convenient for us to know we can start cleaning right away when we roll up. I usually only look for a tap after Jonathan has started cleaning and I've finished my "inside chores". 60 gallons will do about 1200sf.

I've used the whole 160 gallons on one jobsite and had to go get more offsite several times.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Never had one.
No intentions of getting one either. But than, here in CA we don't have to deal with freezing issues.

Chris A

Name
Chris
In the summer, I always think to myself, hooking up isn't that big of a deal. Then, the first time I go to turn on a faucet in the fall and it's shut off I'm thankful for the tank.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
A lot of people here turn off the outside water in winter, and I don't like to unhook their washer. We also carry an adapter to hook to faucets but even that can be a pain. Typically keep about 50 gallons in the tank which is plenty for most jobs. Throw a tank heater in it overnight and the water will at least be lukewarm when we start the day.

Fred H

last month I arrived at the vacant home that I was going to clean and in the window of the front door was a note warning, do not use any water, as the home had been winterized so the heat could be off. Had to call the client and tell her to find a cleaner that had on board water. There is a first time for everything.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Fred H said:
last month I arrived at the vacant home that I was going to clean and in the window of the front door was a note warning, do not use any water, as the home had been winterized so the heat could be off. Had to call the client and tell her to find a cleaner that had on board water. There is a first time for everything.

Common occurrence in our area.
But they winterize all plumbing as a fail safe in case the heat goes out.

Fred H

One lesson Learned the hard way-
When hooking up to outside water, let it run for a while to see what comes out, I have seen nasty rusty water and if no one ever uses the outside faucet, insects will build nests in there and they can take a while to flush out. I am sure you use a screen on your incoming water, right? I once ( ok, twice ) had those insects wash down the hose and clog the incoming screen on my machine, completely cutting off the water flow.

Fred H

KevinD said:
Fred H said:

If I ran into this more I would for sure have on board water

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
There are only two instances we don't use the fresh water tank other than that we will use our own water.

(1) when the transfer pump is broke
(2) when it's a large commercial job and we are able to connect direct.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
During my porty days I helped a cleaner out that had no FW tank on his TM. I guess once you've done it a hundred times it becomes NBD, but what a pain it was to first even FIND the outside faucet, (it was at a condo building) then to run 100-150ft of hose to hook up.

Both TM's I've had have 200g tanks, most times I carry only 100g. No abnormal issues with brakes or tranny, though on some steep sloped driveways I never would have made the hill with more than 100. The Judson doesn't require a transfer pump, as long as the inlet line is submerged I'm ready to go.

There are still people on wellwater here an in summer they don't want you using any of their water.
Plus in my porty days I've seen a lot of rust coming out of the taps. When I fill my tank at my house I KNOW what water I'm dealing with, no bugs, no rust, consistent hardness or lack of in my case.

FW tank just makes life easier.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Fred H said:
KevinD said:
[quote="Fred H":rl6ib14a]last month I arrived at the vacant home that I was going to clean and in the window of the front door was a note warning, do not use any water, as the home had been winterized so the heat could be off. Had to call the client and tell her to find a cleaner that had on board water. There is a first time for everything.

If I ran into this more I would for sure have on board water[/quote:rl6ib14a]

you couldnt go ask a neighbor to use their water???

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have run truck mounts since 1978. Now in California, but also operated a few years in Minnesota. I have never had a fresh water tank. Occasionally it would have come in handy, but I don't remember the last time I couldn't hook up to water even if I had to go to a neighbors house with my hose.

If I did appartments or more commercial, I would likely have a water tank though.

One advantage of hooking to water is you never run out.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
have had one for the last 5 years, didn't have one for the first 15 years

had a problem only one time in the first 15 years, have had several issues in the last 5

if you don't have one you will likely find a way to get the water

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I havn't used one for 20 years. Use a live real and 1/2 goodyear rubber air hose for the fresh water hose. That stuff lasts forever.

Couple of times I needed to bring water. I have a 55 gallon plastic drum and a 12v pump that I hook up when needed. Usually about once a year.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
[/quote]you couldnt go ask a neighbor to use their water???[/quote]

I service a lot of semi and rural areas.
Sometimes there is a neighbor. Sometimes not. Still a PIA to ask and run hose.
My nearest neighbor is 900' away.

Back
Top Bottom