does anyone shampoo upholstery or rugs anymore?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I had a sample of jon don mirage upholstery shampoo. Decided to clean my microfiber sectionial at home with it. Whipped up some foam with a natural sponge and applied and aggitated with a horse hair brush. I rinsed and extracted some of the areas with all fiber rinse and the spotter. Seemed to come out really well. I didnt really see an advantage to doing it this way , it didnt really seem that efficiant. I havent tried using the shampoo method on a rug. Are there any advantages to using the shampoo method or is this simply a time machine kept alive by the older cleaners memories of their glory days lol?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We use it often on special care fabrics, older materials seem to respond better with other methods. HWE cleans them better but can cause some browning on natural fibers. Shampoo with a horse hair brush or sea sponge give you better control in awkward spots like arm fronts and piping and trim.

Reactions: Jeremy

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Yeah I whip up a shampoo for special care fabrics, sponge on, horse hairbrush it in. Sometimes I'll even extract with vac only on heavier soiled areas, and then use towels afterwards.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Shampoo heavily soiled rugs regularly as a prelude to washing. Lots of people use their encap shampoo as a prelude to extraction.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
For low moister cleaning fabrics we simply use the foam only to clean the difficult areas with a vac and possibly a light mist & vac

Name
Steve Lawrence
We use Von Schrader dry foam method for most moisture sensitive, high-end fabrics. It's much easier and faster than the sponge/bucket method. However, the machines are expensive and require care and maintenance. We have 6 units to swap out parts, etc. to keep 2 running. It's a great method to minimize moisture and do a thorough job fast. Results are almost always spectacular if fabrics aren't too soiled or stained.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I dry foam all rugs and upholstery using machines for application agitation and extraction. Could not imagine doing it by hand with a horse hair brush LOL.
The dry foam i use is not a soap it is a detergent.Their is a big difference between soap and detergent. (dictionary) Oh and when you see soap written on a carpet or upholstery cleaning jug it is more than likley a name they just put on the jug because it sounds better for marketing purposes.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Like encap shampoo? We do that nearly everyday.

I encap regular also but more often than not i finish the job with dry foam extraction .
You Richard would be shocked at the improvment dry foam extraction makes after encaping any job. Kinda like putting the icing on the cake.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Making such a rediculous statement and stating that this is something you know endorces the fact that so many people like yourself live in their own fantacy reality.
Yea duhh it's called the internet.

Foamer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Steve Lawrence
I started out with that VS foamer. BTW, that one in the pic is spitting wet foam--something wrong in the detergent mix or equipment as the foam should be fluffy and airy.

I struggled with that system for a couple years before I discovered Deep Steam Extraction portables. They were a struggle, too, because they were soooo heavy but at least we could get dirty carpet clean unlike the miserable results we would get on dirty carpets with the VS. Mardie, you should get around more--there are much better processes out there. For the same price you could have a kick butt OP System.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I started out with that VS foamer. BTW, that one in the pic is spitting wet foam--something wrong in the detergent mix or equipment as the foam should be fluffy and airy.

I struggled with that system for a couple years before I discovered Deep Steam Extraction portables. They were a struggle, too, because they were soooo heavy but at least we could get dirty carpet clean unlike the miserable results we would get on dirty carpets with the VS. Mardie, you should get around more--there are much better processes out there. For the same price you could have a kick butt OP System.

Steve i know that very few people have been able to make this system work for them and i believe that it is due to their lack of understanding on how to use and maintain the system.This is not a filler up and go system. I know that when this system is managed properly that i can achieve amazing long lasting results.I dual process with the cimex on a lot of nasties which realy speeds things up.I use the foam as a carrier for extraction (not the brute part of the cleaning proccess).The VS foam detergent also gives the best finishing touch that any cc could ask for.Properly applied presprays and treatments along with the agitation do the work (not the foam).I am also exploring Steve Smiths product line to increase my efficency.I use some Bridge Point products(love hydrocide extreme and their black light lantern)and Pro Chem products.
I do a tremendous amaount of restorative carpet cleaning. I also have several clients that use me for just the bad stuff.They give the cheap easy to do stuff to the HWE guys.
Every time i takeover a commercial job that has been HWE my return tank comes up like sludge that i dig out from the bottom of the carpet.
I can easily and perfectly clean the geasiest restarount carpet with no problems at all.
I am very open minded and am always looking for ways to improve.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Richard, just give up!

Mardie, does not seem to get the concept that any residue(soap, detergent, foam - whatever you wanna call it) left on/in the carpet/upholstery will attract dirt.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
You are NOT supposed to drink the detergent!

Of course if you do that may improve the results on the carpet!

Tony

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Encapping commercial carpet is fantastic, everyone does it.

Encapping/shampoo my kids bedroom carpet, different story.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom