Dont lower your prices, Raise them...

John Spezia

This question is for the CC who been around for the past ten years or so (back in 1998).

What were you charging per room BACK IN 1998?

WHERE YOU VACUUMING BACK IN 1998?

What were you paying for a gallon of gas?

What I'm getting at is, why are you CC charging so little for work that is harder then Tile & Grout cleaning. It bogs my mind reading posts how CC want to lower their prices and take on more customers in a day.

You CC should be charging T&G cleaning prices to clean a 200sqft room. The cost of the equipment you use, the energy you use to swing the wands, the amount of chemicals, marketing expenses, fuel, insurance, education, etc...

I just added carpet cleaning to my list of services. My techs and myself are going to the IICRC carpet cleanig class next week and we are going to learn about carpets.

We've done a couple of carpet jobs already. I'm charging $149.99 for a 200sqft room. And that does not included protector or furniture moving. But it does included the following: pre-vac, pre-spray, groom, extrac with soap in the buddy jug, post-spray rinse, groom, tabs, then air movers. Moving furniture is an additional $25 per room

YOU ALL SHOULD RAISE YOUR PRICES. RAISE THEM BY 20% NOW...lol

Mikey P

Administrator
In regards to home owners who clean often..

High prices like yours will work in smaller homes, lets say under 700 feet of carpet that are owned by quality but paranoid clients who make a good living.

Get into a home where the cleaning costs near a thousand and they'll use you once or twice but once a friend, family member or neighbor tells them that they have a good enough cleaner who does their same sized home for well under $500, you're toast.

John Spezia

I quess I have to find out the hardway with carpet cleaning. From my experince from cleaning & restoring hard surface with my high-end clients I give them, quality work, warranties and my estimates beat lowballers by 80% of the time.

I let you know how I make out with high carpet cleaning prices. LOL If it works for me I'll sell my program to you carpet cleaners!!!!

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Yeah Mikes right... if you get into the 1,000-2,000 range to clean someones carpet, you have to cut your pricing to keep that client on board. When we get over 1,000 SF of carpet we issue a 20% discount and make sure to clean a rug, chair or something for free....

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you keep your prices somewhere in the middle the customer will understand that you are not trying to screw them but you are not the scumbag who can't clean.

They want security and value...they know that too high means BS and Too low means Crap.

Well, at least the customers I want and market to understand that.

Name
I'm Rick James
bensurdi said:
Yeah Mikes right... if you get into the 1,000-2,000 range to clean someones carpet, you have to cut your pricing to keep that client on board. When we get over 1,000 SF of carpet we issue a 20% discount and make sure to clean a rug, chair or something for free....

I understand the discount when you get to a certain sq ft, but why give something away for free. Its like telling the customer we are charging you to much so let me clean this for free. It comes off more as a bribe than anything else to justify your prices. Back up your prices with the value of your service.

You should never give away anthing for free, it underminds your whole business.

I do charity work and do give free cleanings but that is completly different.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Brian Robison said:
If you keep your prices somewhere in the middle the customer will understand that you are not trying to screw them but you are not the scumbag who can't clean.

They want security and value...they know that too high means BS and Too low means Crap.

ding. :idea:

Walt

Brian Robison said:

Well said.

Name
I'm Rick James
Brian Robison said:

Great post about pricing. That is why I keep my prices around average here. I am raising my prices in March, but still remain in the upper average. Its easier to get customers too.

Bruce Parsons

I agree we should all raise prices not lower them. In recessionary times it's especially difficult, nonetheless it can still be done.

Don't forget the poster works in Long Island NY, it's a different world there! People there are used to paying higher prices on just about everything.

Incedently, I totally agree with Mikey about the after effects of raising prices. Sometimes you won't realize the impact for a year or 2. I think most of the steadies will let you raise them, but also will start to "look around" after you do.

You will certainly lose some, but that's the price you pay when you raise your pricing. I'd rather work less and make more. Everyone has to realize their price break in there area in which they work.

I've been doing this for 40yrs. and I still can't believe how some cleaners charge. They buy great equipment, and do great work, and keep doing it cheaper and cheaper, yr. after yr.!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Walt said:
Brian Robison said:

Well said.

Once in a while I type something worth reading. :wink:

Bjorn

75 cents a sq does that include your exclusive 27 step process

John Spezia

No one can answer my questions WHY??? If you old time CC answer my questions you will see what I'm getting at.... CC are a dying breed...If you guys dont raise you prices...

Bjorn

so you got a couple suckers to pay 75 cents a sq foot

when do you hit the guru circuit maybe you could open for howad partreg or make it to the rich cleaner with Joe and lisa

now remember when on stage with howad you cant have a better tan than him

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
John, how much do you gross per hour and how much do you bring in on an average day? How many days a week do you work? Do you use two man crews?
At 75 cents a square do you measure wall to wall or charge only for traffic areas when you aren't moving furniture?
Where do you advertise your services?

Bruce Parsons

John,

I do get your statement you made, and I do agree with you in most part. The "whores" of this business will always be here no matter what the pricing. They are just to stupid and ignorant to know the difference. They would rather do 6 jobs a day then 3, and make less.

I've always championed for higher pricing for years, it was just beating my head against the proverbial wall. I'm glad to see you are getting those prices, I wish more cleaners would take the time to analize what they really are making in turns of profit. I'm sure that if they did, they would find that they aren't really making what they think they are.

I'm probably one of, if not the highest priced cleaner in our territory, and I know many years ago I had to separate myself from the pack; raising pricing was one way, and it certainly did separate us that's for sure.

Of course there are many variables in each business in regards to operating cost , employee's etc.. but in general most cleaners are afraid to take the initial step in raises they're prices. It's a tough time to do it, and I certainly can understand the hesitancy in doing so, but it can be done.

You'll never know unless you try.

G

Bruce Parsons said:
John,

I do get your statement you made, and I do agree with you in most part. The "whores" of this business will always be here no matter what the pricing. They are just to stupid and ignorant to know the difference. They would rather do 6 jobs a day then 3, and make less.

I've always championed for higher pricing for years, it was just beating my head against the proverbial wall. I'm glad to see you are getting those prices, I wish more cleaners would take the time to analize what they really are making in turns of profit. I'm sure that if they did, they would find that they aren't really making what they think they are.

I'm probably one of, if not the highest priced cleaner in our territory, and I know many years ago I had to separate myself from the pack; raising pricing was one way, and it certainly did separate us that's for sure.

Of course there are many variables in each business in regards to operating cost , employee's etc.. but in general most cleaners are afraid to take the initial step in raises they're prices. It's a tough time to do it, and I certainly can understand the hesitancy in doing so, but it can be done.

You'll never know unless you try.

there are also high priced whores too

CleanEvo

Bruce Parsons said:
I wish more cleaners would take the time to analize what they really are making in turns of profit. I'm sure that if they did, they would find that they aren't really making what they think they are.

Let's see, I subtract my overhead and all costs related to my business, taxes etc... what's left is what I'm making.... seems pretty easy to me. How would I not be making what I think I'm making???

John Spezia

John, how much do you gross per hour and how much do you bring in on an average day? $800 How many days a week do you work? 5-6 Do you use two man crews? 1 van with forman & Tech
At 75 cents a square do you measure wall to wall or charge only for traffic areas when you aren't moving furniture? Wall to wall
Where do you advertise your services? My previous tile & grout customers only

I've only done 6 carpet jobs in the past 6 months. I'm just pushing it to my previous clients. I'm educating them on the proper way of cleaning carpets.

I have nothing against you guys. I'm putting food on my table and clothing on my kids backs...

As a company who specializes in hard Surface cleaning & restoration. When jumping into a new industry we have to go by industry standards.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I would turn to a low price / high volume business model if I could make it work. The real cheap price shoppers that call me always have some disgusting reason for wanting to hire a pro in the first place that would kill my production rate. I try to charge want the service is worth (my hourly rate). I do strive to get at least two times as many “to much” type responses as opposed to “that’s all” when quoting a price to someone who knows nothing about my company.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
"I've only done 6 carpet jobs in the past 6 months"

Yeah, thats about in line with what you can expect to do at .75 psf. OMG!!

John Spezia

LOL............You guys still havent answered my questions!!!!!!!!!!! Stop busting my balls and answer the questions from my 1st post.

Like I said, I'm only offering carpet cleaning to my previous clients.

If I dont get the carpet job for the price I want who cares!!!! I'm still cleaning grout................

So repeat after me Carpet cleaners. I will raise my prices by 20% so we can make a good living cleaning carpets..... Working 8hrs a day 4 days a week...LOL....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom