Drying crawl space ???

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Naww I'd be more worried about the snakes, opossums, racoons. :eekk:

Nothing like being in a tight space and meeting a critter eye. That's why they pay us the big bucks! :lol:
i would lay in a gutter and die of malnutrition..
before i'd EVER crawl into one......when we did our plumbing work on our Obama house..
part of it was crawl space.....fu*k that! i hired someone..he put on a monkey suit and pulled a ladys stocking over his hED...he looked funny cause he didn't pull the stocking all the way down so he had a tail on his hED...you guys are crazy!!!

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
We did one years ago that we brought a couple of "helpers" for. they both started yelling ' NO SHOVEL THE CACA NO SHOVEL THE CACA" i said $25 an hour. they said "Me shovel the caca" and got to work.....

:lol: Exactly!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
you guys are crazy!!
Pussy! :winky:

One of the eeriest jobs we ever did was at a grocery store. They had this long tunnel 100-feet up front of the store that used to be coal storage bin but hadn't been used in decades.

It was up near the front windows and they would stack dog food up there. Over time dog food would spill down into the cracks over the years and wasn't real problem until they were doing some facade work out side that caused water to leak into the area.

The smell was rancid, maggots, spiders, beetles all kinds of insects flying around. The smell was so bad they called us to clean it up. It was tight in there you couldn't sit up without bumping your head and it was just barely wide enough to roll over but not wide enough to turn around. The guys had full PPE and laid down on furniture carts so the could roll down sweep with a dust pan and then pressure wash and after apply an antimicrobial.

It was spooky because you could carry lighting but it only lit where you were. You had to have full face respirator on for the odor and keep the bugs off you. Nasty job, the odor was awful!

3-man crew, 2-in the hole and one guy up top with ropes to pull them out should something go wrong. They did great for hours but towards the end they struggled and became a bit claustrophobic. :eekk:

They still use it as the ruler for the worst job they've ever done while employed here. :lol:

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Pussy! :winky:

One of the eeriest jobs we ever did was at a grocery store. They had this long tunnel 100-feet up front of the store that used to be coal storage bin but hadn't been used in decades.

It was up near the front windows and they would stack dog food up there. Over time dog food would spill down into the cracks over the years and wasn't real problem until they were doing some facade work out side that caused water to leak into the area.

The smell was rancid, maggots, spiders, beetles all kinds of insects flying around. The smell was so bad they called us to clean it up. It was tight in there you couldn't sit up without bumping your head and it was just barely wide enough to roll over but not wide enough to turn around. The guys had full PPE and laid down on furniture carts so the could roll down sweep with a dust pan and then pressure wash and after apply an antimicrobial.

It was spooky because you could carry lighting but it only lit where you were. You had to have full face respirator on for the odor and keep the bugs off you. Nasty job, the odor was awful!

3-man crew, 2-in the hole and one guy up top with ropes to pull them out should something go wrong. They did great for hours but towards the end they struggled and became a bit claustrophobic. :eekk:

They still use it as the ruler for the worst job they've ever done while employed here. :lol:

Now we know how Chavez built his empire....off of the backs of poor souls.

GIT IN THAT HOLE AND GIT MY MONEY, MAGGOTS!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
my first job as manager of an 585 unit boiler hot water heated apts was to crawl a 150' or so 3'x3' crawlspace to sweat a copper joint at the very end.......finished it up and couldn't turn around....had to back all the way back out...
Brian and Art know the building at the corner of 13 and coolidge.....it was the owners test on whether i got hired or not!
i kept all other CC's outta there..i was the local tyrant for 15 years there....Woodward North....Art...Brian...been in there lately?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

As an Inspector here's what I see a lot: Water damaged homes being dried when the crawlspace never was built right to begin with in regards to it's being able to control moisture-and the homeowner does not realize it. In TN I would estimate that 75% of all crawlspaces built pre-1990 are that way. When this happens you can use all the proper drying techniques available but now the homeowner is aware and your to blame. What do you do then?

So many are unaware of this, that for example the National Wood Floor Association ('m one of their Inspector's) just within the past few years changed their crawlspace checklist, but even the new checklist completely missed an important moisture point, and so I look at a lot of crawlspaces where new solid hardwood cups from a crawlspace moisture problem, and I have to go to other sources to prove/quote why it has happened.

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dale I think what you'll find coming from the IAQ industry is that the crawl space should be treated as a part of the built environment. Quit treating it as the outdoors and include it as the indoors. Moisture controlled with exhaust ventilation or small dehumidifiers when humidity is out of control.

I personally feel the Clean Space system has a lot of merit and can solve many issues. Relatively inexpensive fix compared to other options. http://www.basementsystems.com/crawl-space/crawl-space-products/cleanspace.html

K&J Products

Name
Ken Horvath
Pressurizing the crawlspace is the best method….. if you can also pressurize the home more than the crawlspace. This can be difficult during certain times of the year unless you have specific equipment. If the homeowner or renter is out of the building until the drying is complete makes it easier to maintain good temps up and down for evaporation. I also like pressure measurements to document.

K&J Products

Name
Ken Horvath
Driving on the left side of the road versus the right side of the road. Neither is more difficult or safer. I just depends on what you are familiar with. Heated positive pressure eliminates infiltration of cold air, very difficult to control where this is happening under negative pressure in a crawlspace. Pressurizing the structure more than the crawlspace is generally not that difficult. End result is faster drying and less potential problems.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Heated positive pressure eliminates infiltration of cold air, very difficult to control where this is happening under negative pressure in a crawlspace. Pressurizing the structure more than the crawlspace is generally not that difficult.
Ken I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly.

So you're suggesting pressurizing both the home and the crawl? Less pressure in the crawl or equal pressure in the crawl?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom