Dual motor vacuums?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I bought a metal Royal vacuum to do those jobs with SmartStrand carpet. It a great vacuum and it edges fairly well, not to have an edging attachment. However, NOT having an edging attachment is still a PITA.

And, like Taco said, it's like standing beside a duster compared to using my Dyson. I can actually SMELL the junk it allows to pass through the bag.

Royal makes hepa bags for the Commercial Vac. They're yellow and about 50% more $. Not sold in Porkville?

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Seriously a HEPA bag won't make a vacuum a HEPA vacuum. The filtration isn't good enough throughout the system. You need a sealed system to make it truly HEPA.

You're fooling yourself, its like putting a band aid on gunshot wound, it will help but its not the answer!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Fire that puppy up and it creates a dust plume not visible to the naked eye but will send a particle counter into shock waves!

If you were doctors you could be up on charges of Malpractice. Fortunately we're only carpet cleaners and so we can use outdated equipment all we want.

Or at least until they quit making the shit. :eekk:

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Fire that puppy up and it creates a dust plume not visible to the naked eye but will send a particle counter into shock waves!

If you were doctors you could be up on charges of Malpractice. Fortunately we're only carpet cleaners and so we can use outdated equipment all we want.

Or at least until they quit making the shit. :eekk:

No dust plume with a hepa bag. Bissel premadonna.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Richard is bringing up an excellent issue.
Just as being concerned about your clients' health one should be just as concerned about your health. And as we well know, we get repetitious multiple exposure to our chems and in this case to air borne particles from vacuuming.

A hepa filtration will greatly help but don't kid yourselves, you still breathe a lot of small particles. Just pass a finger on any smooth horizontal surface five minutes after your vacuuming. The hepa will filter to smaller particles, which happen to be the one who are more easily airborne and will get deep into our lungs. For the home owner that does it once every two weeks (if we're lucky) it ain't that significant. For the frequent user frequent exposure folks, it is.

Another excellent reason (do you hear that IICRC?) not to vacuum.
Now, take it away Toni.

Last edited:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Hard to beat the power of the royal 18" @ 16 pounds. .....
With this vac barely ever needs edge work.
Better then my kirby, shark I had for a weekend then returned and now my proteam/lux stays at home....
I prefer a backpack for when Upholstery needs a thorough vacuum anyway :p

just my opinion but for $340 [MENTION=40572]Jon[/MENTION]don it's worth a serious look

Standard bags on commercial and resi gets the much thicker "hepa"
unaqy8e5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny and Russ T.

Red Green

Name
Red
I've yet to find a vac that does as well as one of the Sebo commercial models. Even the older models rock but the newer ones are just phenomenal performers and durable. I have a few of the older uprights but used ones are hard to find, seems like no one gives them up. I've been running one of the D4 Airbelts with the central vac powerhead for years without a bit if trouble, homeowners with Kirby's always turn green when I run it after theirs and gobs of hair and crud still comes up.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Hard to beat the power of the royal 18" @ 16 pounds. .....
With this vac barely ever needs edge work.
Better then my kirby, shark I had for a weekend then returned and now my proteam/lux stays at home....
I prefer a backpack for when Upholstery needs a thorough vacuum anyway :p

just my opinion but for $340 [MENTION=40572]Jon[/MENTION]don it's worth a serious look

Standard bags on commercial and resi gets the much thicker "hepa"
unaqy8e5.jpg

Looks like a great vacuum!

The 14" on Jon Don's site is 22 lbs.

http://www.jondon.com/14-royal-metal-upright-vacuum.html

A vac like this might really jive with our brand and with the residential market I covet. Right now I clean a good amount of apartments though. I'm not sure if be excited about lugging that in to do apartments for next to no $.

Trying to move away from rentals as much as possible, but they keep me moving and visible.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
If you go the royal route you should avoid the 5 height model (old design) and get the infinite screw height adjustment.
I did weight my 18" model and it was right around 16 #.
I know 3 other guys that just got the 18" and love it.
Even in crowded resi it's easy to move around.

Vs a shark lol.....

8yjehu9u.jpg

Vs a proteam/lux
ynetegan.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Derek and Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Wow!

Do I dare go 18", thing looks like a BEAST!

I was thinking 14" but now I'm starting to wonder...

Thanks for the feedback!

Grant D

I used both the 12" and 18" Royals off and on for about 4 years. They have great suction but I always hated not having a pull out hose / tool for the pet hair etc. along the baseboards. I also didn't think the roller-brushes were of very high quality. Not enough bristles and very soft.

The proteam is way better on the hose / tools and the brush roll is "ok". Could be a little better but it's ok. Would be a little better with adjustable height but all in all I have been happy with the proteam 15xp and 1500 xp's for about 5-6 years now. Every once in a while when you get the carpet that's going to fill up 5 vacuum bags I wish I still had my Royal but otherwise I'm happy with the proteam.

I always wonder about vacuum filtration. The exhaust air on most vacuums are blowing all the dust off baseboards, or the carpet before the vac gets to it... all that dust goes airborne so are we really that worried about what's coming out of the vacuum?

I like the look of those new proteams. I wonder about the price?
- The other Grant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Hepa or metal or dual motor, don't mean squat if you're leaving soil in the carpet and you don't know it.
Countless times I've vacuumed after the customer vacuumed with (pick a brand-they've used them) and I'll vac and not get much EXCEPT for specific areas where there was a pool of soil that the other machine just skipped over. Take 10 min to vacuum a room, 5 min for 90% of the room and 5min for that one area, put an inch of soil in the canister.

Lonny

Supportive Member
I have to give a nod to my pro-team. Looks the part, isn't cumbersome, vacuum is good, seal is good too. It has been pretty durable to boot.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
There's a Royal Vacuum for sale on CraigsList near me. Does anyone know anything about this model? Sorry, I don't have the model #.

Could probably get this for @ $75, to see if it can keep up with the Kid.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks for the video Dustin. I'm seriously considering one of those. I'm cleaning more and more residential homes with furniture. I'm not sure which size would work the best for that. Any thoughts? I think they come in 14 or 18 inch.

The vac I use now is 12 in so either will be a welcome increase in width.

Thanks for the help!

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
That will come down to personal taste.
I would rather maneuver the vacuum sort of sideways in some tight spots vs not have the large size for hallways, livings rooms etc.

Take a few jobs to get used to coming from a twelve I'm sure.

I stupidly broke the on/off switch on my royal so in a pinch saw the shark at Costco. The small size was frustrating how much more time it took to vacuum.
I ended up using a key to operate the broken switch on the royal vs use the shark lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom