Ed Prevost shop burns

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
Service master Ed's office burned up yesterday. Poor guy gets to handle his own claim. Pictures in the amsterdam recorder show the fireman shooting water in the building right past the service master sign from the road. His equipment was saved but everything in the office is gone.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
that's awful
Ed's a sharp guy, I'm sure he'll get thru it.

but fully insured or not, it still sucks big time and must be a major kick in the teeth
Hope no one was hurt

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Losing billing data would be my biggest concern. We backup nightly but I don't always switch the drives to the fire safe. I'm going to do it right now. :oops:

Good luck Ed, hang in there!

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
officefire.jpg

Thanks everybody. Yeah we lost our offices yesterday, complete loss. The warehouse only sustained smoke damage, but a lot of it. Thank goodness we are slammed with work and all of our trucks were out working and about 1/2 of our equipment is out on jobs. Verdict is still out on the other 1/2 as it sustained severe smoke damage for hours. I think there were around 5 ladder trucks there.

Word......back up your computers daily and either back them up off site or back them up and put the device you back up to in a secure fire proof place. Oh and don't use extention cords...they crap the bed and can ruin your day.

Nobody got hurt. My Wife and I left the office at 2:45, got 1/4 mile from the shop and she realized she forgot her phone so we turned around and went back. We weren't gone 5 minutes and when we got back our office was engulfed. I tried to go in with a fire extinguisher :shock: No way. Called the fire dept. and sat back and watched her burn.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Thanks Richard. We had our computers backed up, but the little fire safe we had the drives in was right near the hottest part of the fire and the drives melted. We lost EVERYTHING! All personnel files, bank statements, receipts, my framed picture of Jimmy Ladwig :shock: .....everything. I'm recovering what I can from carbonite right now. I'm going to be able to pull a lot of claims off of Xactanalysis, hopefully we'll get through this without too much lost revenue.

Name
Nate W.
Damn Eddie, Sorry to hear that.... That's rough... We had our shop burn years ago.... Lost everything and rebuild.... Hang in there pal!

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I'm so sorry Ed. Glad you are all okay, but the loss of data is a kick in the teeth. I need to do better. We back up, but not enough and onto drives that we keep nearby.

Take care,
Lisa

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Ed said:
Thanks Richard. We had our computers backed up, but the little fire safe we had the drives in was right near the hottest part of the fire and the drives melted. We lost EVERYTHING! All personnel files, bank statements, receipts, my framed picture of Jimmy Ladwig :shock: .....everything. I'm recovering what I can from carbonite right now. I'm going to be able to pull a lot of claims off of Xactanalysis, hopefully we'll get through this without too much lost revenue.
Really sorry to hear about this, Ed. Hopefully Jimmy will autograph another photo for you.

Steve

PS The point about the off-site storage is really important. This is an often overlooked advantage of the "paperless" office. If you are scanning in all paper documents then they are permanently archived digitally. Then use at least on AUTOMATIC backup service that stores everything away from your office. We use a company called Mozy and I think we pay 5 bucks a month for twice a day automatic backups. Even at two or three times that much what is data security worth? Sorry again, Ed.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Thanks Lisa and Nate. There are a lot of good folks in this world. We have received so many calls from friends, family, people we don't know in our community, and even competitors offering all and any kind of assistance. You get kinda choked up when competitors call and offer assistance. That's America. :!:

Thanks Steve. Jimmy will probably charge me for another :mrgreen:

The propane tanks were on the back of the building and luckily were disconnected inside but they were FULL. Thank goodness the fire didn't make it back there. Some of my equipment would have landed in your driveway :shock:

Chris A

Name
Chris
Wow, sorry dude. Way to have a good attitude about it though, a lot of people wouldnt

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Ed, sorry for your losses, good thing you, your wife, and your employees did not get hurt. I remember when Al's building burned and I fell really bad for him as well, glad he's doing better now. You'll get thru it, hang in there.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
No, it was parked in the parking lot for some reason.
Mikey P said:
well, that sucks.

did that used vOrtex go up in flames too?

No. It was parked in the parking lot waiting for walk ups :shock:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Sorry to hear Ed.

Just wondering if the Insurance adjuster will request another company to do the remediation? !gotcha!
I remember discussions about that.

I back up my database by emailing myself, hotmail, gmail, yahoo. Need to back up all the other stuff more often but my database is safe.

Billy

Name
BH
Ed me & my family are sorry for what has happened to you. It is good that no one was hurt though.

Hopefully your Insurance treats you well. As for data we backup data daily to 4 places (offsite & onsite) since years ago we lost data to lightning strike.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ed - Sorry about your losses, glad no one was hurt! Raising a beer in your direction. Best wishes!

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Ron Werner said:
Sorry to hear Ed.

Just wondering if the Insurance adjuster will request another company to do the remediation? !gotcha!
I remember discussions about that.

I back up my database by emailing myself, hotmail, gmail, yahoo. Need to back up all the other stuff more often but my database is safe.

Ron, it's funny you should say that. We are extremely busy with our normal workload right now and my Wife and I were discussing this last night and are considering having another company clean out the office.

Thanks to everyone who posted here and emailed. I went through my upset/emotional distress Monday night. The biggest loss I had out of this was a picture of my Dad and a picture of my 2 boys when they were little, fishing with my Dad. That's the only time I broke down. You can't replace that. At this point, you move forward and make the best of a bad situation. Humor helps me to do that. It's all about perspective. When I start feeling bad for myself, I do my best to stop and remember that I am lucky to be here to experience this and learn from it. There are those that are facing much greater obstacles in life right now. Thanks again for everyone's kind wishes and offers of assistance.

F

FB7777

Billy said:
As for data we backup data daily to 4 places (offsite & onsite) since years ago we lost data to lightning strike.
Are all your customers backed up to each of the four backup locations?

Or do your four customers each get their own site? :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear about the fire Ed, with the exception of personal injury, fire is my business nightmare

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Sorry Ed to hear of your loss!

And sorry that my burning bag of poop set your shop on fire!

:shock:

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Jimmy L said:
Sorry Ed to hear of your loss!

And sorry that my burning bag of poop set your shop on fire!

:shock:

The fire investigator kept saying "something smells like sh$t" :shock:

Thanks Koko....I think :mrgreen:

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Looks like Ed bought Tony Wheeledwrights book "How To Burn Down A Failing Carpet Cleaning Business" Did Tony forget the chapter about parking the POS V inside. Or is this suppose to be common sense.

Golden Boy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom