electric vac motors life expectancy

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
what's the life expectancy of electric vac motors ?

I understand they start new with peak performance, but steadily degrade with hours of use
Is this true?

.L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
your_good_sons said:
I notice dropoff around 1,500 hours.

Thanks Pete

Years in Trade: 1

1500 hours machine time is a LOT of throwin' down in a year.
Do your portys runs 2 shifts ??

or do you have experience with elect vac motors from a previous job?

thanks

PS..do you notice drop off gradually (like hair growing) or all at once

.L.T.A.

From a previous job. We'd order replacements for a machine once it had about 1200 hours on it. By then, suction would be down about 5% using something like this... http://compare.ebay.com/like/2808195451 ... si=y&cbt=y and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extech-AN100-CF ... 4ab768f885
By the time we hit 1500 hours, it may be down 15-20%, which you will notice in the feel of the wand and on the carpet. Generally if one or both vacuums was under performing by 20%, that was the end. At first it is imperceptible. Then one day you actually start thinking the rugs seem damper and the wand pulls easier, or sometimes you don't. I used to pull a EDIC Polaris 1200 up and down the halls of various buildings. This was a 19" self contained beast. Liked the machine a lot. Going to pull the trigger on a new EDIC Polaris 1201PS (its replacement) in a month or so. Just want to nail down one more large area commercial contract. I never noticed it losing suction. Someone from the service department just checked it because it needed a new brush. Supposed to pull something like 85" per motor, so 70" was retirement. One was pulling about 55" and the other about 60". We probably could have squeezed one or two more jobs without anyone being the wiser. Once new vacs are in, the result is always very obvious. Now I have no such tools and just do it when dissatisfied with results until I can afford toys.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Jtuseo said:
I never noticed a drop off, they just burn out one day. In my expirence

Same here.

The brushes or the armature wear out and then they stop.

I get 2 years out of a motor.

Some new high performance ones are supposted to get 1500 hours

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Larry;

Most of the vac motors we use are rated for 750 hours of life.

This is the expected carbon brush life.

In many cases, the actual life is determined by the lower main bearing in the vac motor.

High performance vac motors use a new larger bearing.

This life will vary depending on the amount of moisture left in the vac motor after each use.

If the vac motors are dried with outside air and recovery tanks drained . . .

then bearing life will increase.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom