Employee Injury- How Patient?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Have a tech who hurt his knee at home {thank God he was honest} has a doctor excuse for 2 days. We are on day 5 and tomorrow looks like a no go also.
How much more patient should I be ?

My thinking right now is give him the weekend off and come monday he either works or goes back to the doctor and gets something in writing. This can be tricky as i have no way of knowing if he is still in pain or just milking it in summer. Definitely do not want to push him and end up in a comp case nightmare...

BradD

Supportive Member
Name
Brad Duncan
You'll know something is up when you look at his facebook feed from the weekend showing him winning the X-games water-skiing jump contest.

Reactions: John Olson

John Olson

Name
John Olson
As Chavez says doctors release to come back from a knee injury. You do not want me to re-injure it on the job.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We had a guy die of cancer last year, he was in stage 4 and didn't even know it. He was dragging a little but we all thought he was just tired from winter and life in general. So I am little sensitive now and more patient.

Scott Rogers

I agree give him the weekend and before he can work again he NEEDS a doctors release.

But honnestly, does a doctors release protect you at all? Many doctors will give you a note saying damn near anything you want them to say. " Johny needs a week off work" : "Johny is clear to begin work light duty" ect. ect.

But if the injure "re-aggravates" it self as he is getting into the van to head to the first job, its still comes back on you and your workers comp.

The only thing that can protect you is the "morals and honesty" of the employee, and unfortunately very few still have them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
But honnestly, does a doctors release protect you at all? Many doctors will give you a note saying damn near anything you want them to say. " Johny needs a week off work" : "Johny is clear to begin work light duty" ect. ect.

But if the injure "re-aggravates" it self as he is getting into the van to head to the first job, its still comes back on you and your workers comp.

The only thing that can protect you is the "morals and honesty" of the employee, and unfortunately very few still have them.
You're right, probably very little but I'd rather the employee understand he or she is not free to come and go as they please without some hassle from a doctor.

We had a workcomp claim 8-10 years ago. The guys was always doing backflips, strong guy, muscular fit dude but lifted a divan wrong and hurt his back. Went though several doctors and they eventually said he could no longer do physical work.

Our insurance paid him a cash settlement and he bought a candy machine route. :icon_rolleyes:

That lasted a little a couple of years and then he went back to working construction. Last year he was on undercover boss hanging mini blinds. I think the work comp claim was over $100,000 and yet there he is in full glory up and down a ladder hanging blinds. :madd:

Scott Rogers

yep this world is screwed up. Those who truly do need the help have a difficult time getting it. and those who screw the system make out like bandits. makes no sense.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have a few others but none so costly but equally as lame. Had an air duct cleaner 5-6 years ago shock himself even though he swears he locked it out. He claims it affected his back and he has a tingly feeling in his hands. ???? They paid him too, just less.

The last guy was friends with the duct cleaner and I'm sure he just scammed our insurance company. My bother had this bronze stature commissioned and it had no place to be stored so it was stored here. Occasionally he would call and send photographers down and they would take pictures of it. This kids quit, found another job and three months later filed a claim saying he hurt himself moving the statue. :icon_rolleyes:

All the other work comp claims were real injuries, fortunately all the real claims were minor injuries and minor claims.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Been pretty fortunate in the worker comp/disability dept., NOW unemployment insurance is a different thread ....

Oh plus the civil rights violation the one time { that was set once we agreed not to fight the unemployment claim} :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We nearly got one of those too. We had a couple of Mexican girls that would speak Spanish and talk on the other two girls in the room. Dan told them they couldn't speak Spanish in front of the others and we got a letter in the mail saying that was a violation of the girls rights.
We laid them off when it slowed down.....without violating their rights...Bitches! :rockon:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I thought patience was a virtue....

Waited, waited and waited for this guy to come back and he completely disappeared off the face of the planet.
Still has a couple FOBs/ keys also, totally screwed me. :hopeless:

Have a replacement already but this guy has no experience, he was a referral so we will give him a shot.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I hate that, I had a guy disappear out of state with a full set of uniforms and a pullover fleece last spring. He texted after we kept calling him and said quit calling that number and good luck on getting back the uniforms since he was now living out of state. :hopeless:

A lot of flakes out there!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You see you have bad karma for firing your cousins and now guy steal your uniforms and sweaters. Think about it before doing it again!

Back
Top Bottom