every door direct

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I looked at it but chose to use YP to deliver an air duct coupon. It sucked, I should have tried the EDD but a pair of nice legs took my money from me. :cry: :icon_redface:

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Tried it last year. The price is cheap, but only got 3 calls and 1 job. I had 2 mailings with about $700 in postage, not counting the card cost.

I found it interesting that the post office was "not real happy" with delivering these on any other day than Tues, Wed, or Thurs. Just make sure the offer will make them call.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Tried it last year. The price is cheap, but only got 3 calls and 1 job. I had 2 mailings with about $700 in postage, not counting the card cost.

I found it interesting that the post office was "not real happy" with delivering these on any other day than Tues, Wed, or Thurs. Just make sure the offer will make them call.
I got zero for $800.00 : (

Live and learn, man that was an expensive gander at a nice pair tan legs. :errf:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We have done a decent amount of direct mail over last 6 years, this was the first year we skipped it.

Love/Hate relationship, love the fact you can target specific geographic areas but still hate the cost. When you add in cost of printing looking at .20 to .23 cent piece plus you still have to sort in bundles of 100 if you do it yourself.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Love/Hate relationship, love the fact you can target specific geographic areas but still hate the cost. When you add in cost of printing looking at .20 to .23 cent piece plus you still have to sort in bundles of 100 if you do it yourself.
We've done that before too. It's a pain playing with rubber bands and separating zip codes.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
A local company does it for a good price but we have to print off at least 25k pieces, then they charge postage as we use it. So i would just do small tests ourselves of 1k-2k before making that commitment, love/hate.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
If I considered doing eddm I would partner with another business. You can easily drop the costs in half that way. Use a complimentry type business like window cleaning or chimney sweeping.

Another thing with direct mail of any type, frequency. If you plan to send out a thousand pieces to a customer base and expect them all to pick up the phone then you might be disappointed. Everything I have read and everyone that I have talked to that does it says 3 times for each route. The highest response is on the second mailing with the third mailing actually higher than the first.

Interesting that there are a few articles that mention a 3-5% response rate to direct mail. Ha Ha Ha, yeah right. Could you imagine how lucrative it would be to spend $25 to send 100 pieces and to get 3-5 customers?

Reactions: Chris A and tmdry

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
you guys that did the eddm, could we see the pieces you sent out and see if there was another reason they didn't work? I'm thinking about doing it after I close on the rug shop and really need it to get the word out. Otherwise it's going to be all radio.

Becker

Name
Becker
Id be interested in seeing the failed pieces also, a demo on the zip codes you sent to, how often and mow many times.

Total route mailed before giving up and calling it a failure.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I personally have only had success in affluent neighborhoods, which is top 2% of households for my specific market. The calls were between .3-.5% of total pieces with a high closing rate.The biggest factor for us was the high ticket averages, we would put carpet 1 side/ tile 1 side and alternate which is large side {mostly tile}. What would happen is on a drop of 10k pieces for example a couple big jobs would come in say $600-$1k type and then several mid size $3-400 ish.

When we tried in lower income demographics the number of calls was similar but the average $ticket dropped considerably, the kitchens were just flat out smaller and the bathrooms were tiny.

Reactions: billyeadon

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I looked at it but chose to use YP to deliver an air duct coupon. It sucked, I should have tried the EDD but a pair of nice legs took my money from me. :cry: :icon_redface:

Doc,

We had one similar vendor who to prove how bad the service was - only listed a free service...... not a single call.

She didn't even have nice legs ~

Reactions: Desk Jockey

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I personally have only had success in affluent neighborhoods, which is top 2% of households for my specific market. The calls were between .3-.5% of total pieces with a high closing rate.The biggest factor for us was the high ticket averages, we would put carpet 1 side/ tile 1 side and alternate which is large side {mostly tile}. What would happen is on a drop of 10k pieces for example a couple big jobs would come in say $600-$1k type and then several mid size $3-400 ish.

When we tried in lower income demographics the number of calls was similar but the average $ticket dropped considerably, the kitchens were just flat out smaller and the bathrooms were tiny.

Let me see if I understand your numbers correctly. .5% out of 10,000 pieces is 50 calls. high conversion is 80% which is 40 jobs.

Couple of large jobs, lets say 3 600-1000 dollars with an average of $800 is $2,400.

The rest small jobs 37 $300-$400 jobs with an average of $350 times 37 reamianing is $12,950

Total revenue is $15,350. Cost to mail about 25 cents each for a total of $2,500

That is only 16% customer marketing cost for an initial service! If those numbers are correct then that is fantastic return. Factor in repeat services and your marketing is going to be under 10%!

Even figuring a .3% and you still end up with $9210 in revenue. that s still only a 27% initial marketing cost which is still not bad. With an added bonus of being able to send those out any time you want or need.

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
A more subtle approach to the affluent would be better I bet. I like the idea of going to your local "successful" dry cleaner and offering to pay for his/her plastic shirt protectors so you could brand then with your services. Maybe something like this: "Call or book Chavez online when the red wine reached beyond the shirt to the floor!"

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Let me see if I understand your numbers correctly. .5% out of 10,000 pieces is 50 calls. high conversion is 80% which is 40 jobs.

Couple of large jobs, lets say 3 600-1000 dollars with an average of $800 is $2,400.

The rest small jobs 37 $300-$400 jobs with an average of $350 times 37 reamianing is $12,950

Total revenue is $15,350. Cost to mail about 25 cents each for a total of $2,500

That is only 16% customer marketing cost for an initial service! If those numbers are correct then that is fantastic return. Factor in repeat services and your marketing is going to be under 10%!

Even figuring a .3% and you still end up with $9210 in revenue. that s still only a 27% initial marketing cost which is still not bad. With an added bonus of being able to send those out any time you want or need.

I wish!

Out of 7 campaigns {each varying between 25-50k pieces spread out over 5 months} We had a .5 return 2x maybe and the jobs broke down more like 2 large, 8 medium, 30 small and be in the $9k range in revenue. So the other 5 campaigns ended up more in the .2-.3% range and 1 was a complete fail.

In the big picture these are small numbers so a couple big jobs like colorseal or cleaning a big marble floor can really move the numbers around.

In my experience you really want to stick with it monthly minus winter and just change the featured service. Never became rich from it thats for sure but did put together a nice client list and it saved my ass during the recession and the 2 years after. One thing that has hurt us is convincing tile/grout customers to repeat more.

Back
Top Bottom