First oil change for TNT....

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We have a new TM with the Nissan 4-cyl engine and #59 blower . . .
------------------------
Here is the Kohler info on "any hard working commercial operation" . . .

on use of the new 20-50W oil with additive package ;

View attachment 5326

While it was developed for the 34 to 40 HP engines, the factory regional service instructor recommends for all carpet cleaning TM applications.

Larry

Last edited:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Just bought a case of the 20W50
I'll see if it helps any of the oil seepage through all the gaskets, the lifter noise and oil consumption in my 38hp Kohler.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I wish I could just install both of my TNT's next to one another in a box w/out having to put them in the rear, each on one side (according to les).

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I'm over 9700 hrs. on my A15. It started to use more oil (1/2 qt.) between oil changes lately and I'm considering looking for a A15 engine to have rebuilt as a standby when needed.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Here is the Kohler info on "any hard working commercial operation" . . .
on use of the new 20-50W oil with additive package ;

While it was developed for the 34 to 40 HP engines, the factory regional service instructor recommends for all carpet cleaning TM applications.

Larry

Larry,

I had sent off an inquiry to the factory, here is what they replied. The factory has not changed their specification for the smaller (like 20hp) motors:

View attachment 5330

View attachment 5332

View attachment 5333

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
8200 on my 800A A 12 Nissan sold, 6400 on my 405 A 12 in trailer back, never use, 4400 on 650 Hyundai so far. I will never buy air cooled engine!

We had an 800A, it was our first Prochem. Loved that machine, great machine for around 200- degree machine. It sounded like big city truck when fired that puppy up. Still running four A-12's, great powerplant. I'll be sad when the replacement parts are all gone.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
the Nissan A-Series motors are used on other things, like forklifts. Maybe that will help to ensure a parts supply for a while?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Dan if you would ask them life expectancy with a duty load of what most cleaners will experience, 4-6 hours daily.

Well, apparently there is no clear-cut answer, as you will see. In asking the question, I found the person I was talking to has a much better understanding of truckmounts than I realized....

Here was my question:

Jon,

Thanks very much for the info!

I have another question, if you don’t mind. I realize the answer will be pretty subjective, so I won’t hold you to it….

The application is carpet cleaning machines (Truckmounts). Most machines use engines from 20hp to 37hp. Typically they are loaded to around 80% of rated capacity, and are run 4 to 6 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week. RPM is 3000-ish to 3600. They are almost always mounted inside a van or trailer, operated with the vehicle door(s) open, so oil temps run on the high side of normal. Oil and filter is religiously changed per factory-recommended intervals for the vast majority of users.

The question is what engine life would one expect under these circumstances. Many in our group report engine replacement at around 2500 hours, while a few report much better life, 4000 hours or more.

We’re trying to determine whether the 4000 hour motors are just flukes, or if that should be the expected norm, and everyone else is doing something wrong, like maybe insufficient cooling.

A side question is whether adding an external oil cooler kit (for those engines that don’t already have one) would extend engine life significantly.

Is there anything else we could do to help extend engine life?

The questions were spawned due to one of our users having to replace a CH-20 at around 2000 hours. Some users feel that is to be expected, while others feel it is way too soon.

Any input you have would be appreciated!

Dan Gardner

Reactions: Desk Jockey and Zee

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
And here was Jon's answer:

Dan,

All are million dollar questions.

Fortunately/unfortunately I am all too familiar with truck mount carper cleaners, Mr. Loftin used to own Blue Line Equipment, in Prescott ( now Sapphire Scientific ) so I was involved in some of the prototype/endurance testing, not only for engine performance, but for belt wear, and component longevity. Testing was performed in an actual van as well, here in the Phoenix heat.

The Kohler Engines are used on a lot of different type applications, from mowers, construction equipment, generators, etc., and on each different application the longevity of the engine varies.

We have some mower dealers that have had engines last up to 5000 plus hours, and some at 1500 hours, I have had some generator customers that have had 7500 plus hours on an off grid application, which the engine runs at 3600 RPM, with the math of each hour equaling 80 miles, that comes out to 600,000 miles, which to me is pretty darn good, and on the case of this unit, the generator failed, and not the engine, so the engine still had some life in it.

Maintenance is generally key to engine longevity, but I have seen cases were the end users have abused the product, and last 4000 hours, and some meticulously take care of their product and only get 1800 to 2000 hours.

In performing the endurance testing on the truck mount product, I did notice that the standard grade engine oil would oxidize/thicken much more so than synthetic. If you are seeing the standard grade engine oil oxidizing/thickening, I would recommend trying synthetic.

One concern is that with synthetic you may notice more oil consumption than with standard grade oil, I would recommend on a new engine, operate it for the first 50 hours with standard grade oil, and then change to synthetic.

Some OEM’s do not recommend synthetic, and Kohler’s stand is that is acceptable, though they require the service interval be the same as standard oil.

There are so many variables to these questions, for instance has the OEM performed proper factory testing on the equipment ( I had one OEM that we performed an application review on with a 20 HP engine, and went to perform an application review on another machine with a 25 HP engine, both applications had the same blower and same pump models, so the 25 HP engine was way overkill ).

Is the end user operating the machine per OEM recommendations, ie; leaving side and back doors open, with the driver side window rolled down.

Does the end user have so much crap in the van, that it is blocking the air flow to properly keep the engine cool.

Once again, we hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you.

Jon Uber
Technical Support Manager
Loftin Equipment Co. | www.loftinequip.com
Phone: (602) 272-9466 x 224
E-mail: juber@loftinequip.com

<tbody>
</tbody>

Becker

Name
Becker
When I ran an air cooled vtwin I tried to change every 50 hrs. Low oil capacity.

I now am religious at 100 hrs.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks for asking Dan. :icon_cool:

Sounds like the oil has a tremendous impact in what's going on with the air cooled engine.

How ironic he had insight with TM's. :eekk:

I've read on a lot of the lawnmower boards where engines vary drastically with in the same manufacturer. Cheap ones have too much plastic and are basically throw away's Pro models are built better but not in comparison to the older units. I always wondered whay somone can get a higher price for an old JD than a newer one. Its the fact that it can be rebuilt relatively cheaply where newer ones are throw away engines and are cheaper to replace.

Name
Marcus
Kohler 20HP motor with 100 hours.

Is there any reason not to switch over to full synthetic right now?
I have tried 3-4 differnet brands od full synthetic
Mobil 1...lasted 50 hours
Pennzoil......75hours
Amzoil........150hours
I won't use anything else but Amsoil for truckmounts
And will never use regular oil for my vans.....full synthetic only..not synthetic blend
Amsoil is racing oil used by many if not most pro racers 10$ Qrt and worth every penny

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Does the end user have so much crap in the van, that it is blocking the air flow to properly keep the engine cool.

..L.T.A.

Name
Marcus
Well, apparently there is no clear-cut answer, as you will see. In asking the question, I found the person I was talking to has a much better understanding of truckmounts than I realized....

Here was my question:

Jon,

Thanks very much for the info!

I have another question, if you don’t mind. I realize the answer will be pretty subjective, so I won’t hold you to it….

The application is carpet cleaning machines (Truckmounts). Most machines use engines from 20hp to 37hp. Typically they are loaded to around 80% of rated capacity, and are run 4 to 6 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week. RPM is 3000-ish to 3600. They are almost always mounted inside a van or trailer, operated with the vehicle door(s) open, so oil temps run on the high side of normal. Oil and filter is religiously changed per factory-recommended intervals for the vast majority of users.

The question is what engine life would one expect under these circumstances. Many in our group report engine replacement at around 2500 hours, while a few report much better life, 4000 hours or more.

We’re trying to determine whether the 4000 hour motors are just flukes, or if that should be the expected norm, and everyone else is doing something wrong, like maybe insufficient cooling.

A side question is whether adding an external oil cooler kit (for those engines that don’t already have one) would extend engine life significantly.

Is there anything else we could do to help extend engine life?

The questions were spawned due to one of our users having to replace a CH-20 at around 2000 hours. Some users feel that is to be expected, while others feel it is way too soon.

Any input you have would be appreciated!

Dan Gardner
Those air cooled engines are rated at so many 0000000.... Rpms in the life of the engine
So if you are running it full throttle for 1 hour vs 75 percent throttle it is obviously gonna run more rpms
On the life of the engine and thus the engine will run its lifespan quicker...
Some of these guys that are getting 5000 plus on there engines may not be cranking it up full throttle...
And therefore running less rpms per hour.
Also heat is reduced with full synthetic oil....which is a big wear on engines...
Cap

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Here is some info from Valvoline on the zinc additive that has been reduced in most oils being produced these days:
Racing Oil

1. What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?
    The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.
  2. What is motor oil with zinc?
    The anti-wear additive simply referred to as zinc by most car enthusiasts is actually short for Zinc DialkylDithiophosphates or ZDDP. Its primary role is to prevent metal-to-metal contact between engine parts by forming a protective film. Despite being referred to as zinc, this additive actually contains zinc and phosphorus, with phosphorus performing the anti-wear function in the motor oil with zinc.
  3. Why is it important to have the zinc/phosphorus levels in motor oil changed?
    With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for motor oil with zinc. The current API standard is SM which replaced the previous SL classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicle's emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current motor oil.
  4. What is the controversy surrounding the amount of zinc in motor oil?
    Many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in SM motor oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat-tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new motor oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible. This has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern motor oil is not adequate to protect older engines.
  5. What solutions does Valvoline offer to the zinc issue?
    Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue:
    1. Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil: Contains 75% higher zinc than SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40, and straight 60.
    2. Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car motor oils including SynPower -- the only synthetic oil that offers this additive.
  6. Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or "Not Street Legal" racing oil?
    Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent of zinc and .12 percent of phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil which contains .14 percent of zinc and .13 percent of phosphorus.
  7. Will an additive boost the zinc level?
    You can use an additive to increase the zinc level. However, check with your motor oil manufacturer to ensure the additive is compatible with your racing oil.
  8. Is VR1 a conventional oil, a synthetic or a blend?
    Valvoline VR1 racing oil is a conventional, non-synthetic racing oil.

Larry

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom