FREE FLOW revealed and a how to guide

Jerry

Supportive Member
My Kunke on my 47 blower does'nt open at all. I can cap it off and it will go to16hg and hold. Its supposed to be a 14hg unit, but I have'nt been able to get it "popping off". With a glided 2" wand @3000rpm it will do about 13hg with the wand cleaning. My distributor has tuned a kunkle by turning in 3/8 ? bolts to plug some holes. My dry times seem to have improved and that's always good. hey, whatever works!

G

Jerry , where is the kunkle on the power clean? try the free flow it will kick bootie.

Rex Tyus

Jerry it sounds to me as if your unit is plumbed "proper". If your rpms are maxed, you can hit max hg when under full restriction, and your unit does NOT max out lift at the machine, when cleaning, I think you are in the sweet spot( assuming you don't have air leaks in your hose run). Be of good cheer.

i am a bit of a vacuum fanatic, why not let the wand be your relief valve, all you have to do is shorten up on your strokes and or use a glide. wand tilting= great relief.

G

If you have a slight CONSTANT controlled leak...it will speed up the air moving through the system. My leaky Cool Cuffs are a proven fact to this.

I think the only guy who can test this WITH A REAL GAGE, is Mr. Larry Cobb. Mr. Cobb, do you accept the Challenge? Should I fly over a case of beer for you and Nick to try this out on a nice Sat. afternoon?

JJ

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I'm a woman, I can multi-task Mike. I can argue CFM and lift and save the industry from SOA at the same time!

:wink:

Take care,
Lisa

a constant air leak works well if you use 100 feet of hose or less. i wouldnt want any air leaking on a 200 foot hose run. it would be nice to have air leaks or no air leaks at the push of a button. every job calls for slight modifications

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
406 said:
i am a bit of a vacuum fanatic, why not let the wand be your relief valve, all you have to do is shorten up on your strokes and or use a glide. wand tilting= great relief.

Are you talking about using no relief valve at all spring or otherwise?

tman7, it sounds brutal doesnt it. it works great though. on upholstery i create a "free flow" i think. it has been relief free for almost a year, so far so good, no sign of death. the test of time will be the real test. my hg reads most of the time under 16, sometimes it climbs to 18 0r 19

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Actually its something that I've been thinking of doing myself. Ive got my spring relief tightened down to about 17 in on my CDS but starts to leak about 12 in. and averages 12-14 while cleaning with my glided wand. Seems a shame to waste the CFM if my blower can take it.

Greenie

HydraMaster CDS can not sustain 17"hg, you should probbaly back that thing off. Also the tank it's self is not happy at that vacuum level.

You must ahve some leaking hose/cuffs to be pulling that off, or you are about to burn a clutch.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Its a sutorbilt 4ML direct driven by my Astro but as I said it rarely goes above 14 when cleaning and only hits 17 when the vac is completely blocked off which I do when adjusting the vac pods and doesn't seem to have any problem doing it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
hummm i probably need to get a new vac gauge...seeing how i have noooooo idea where it sits...

i do know i did a house the other day, one of those shag/plush type carpets wet stroke across and dry ont he way back and it was damn near dry when i left about 90 mins for the job...that was with the 12 flow and 600 psi....so iknow my new vac changes have helped a TON...

my spring is set to where it barley opens, dont know what hg that is but it is a freakin rockin 36 going......oh that was at 150' that it dried in that time to..

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
floorguy said:
hummm i probably need to get a new vac gauge...seeing how i have noooooo idea where it sits...

i do know i did a house the other day, one of those shag/plush type carpets wet stroke across and dry ont he way back and it was damn near dry when i left about 90 mins for the job...that was with the 12 flow and 600 psi....so iknow my new vac changes have helped a TON...

my spring is set to where it barley opens, dont know what hg that is but it is a freakin rockin 36 going......oh that was at 150' that it dried in that time to..

All I gotta say is this. You ain't getting it dry with a 36, 12 flow at 600 PSI. I call
bsflag.gif

Attachments

• bsflag.gif
    bsflag.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 107

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
kevin i shit you not....how far are you from the ogden area down here in utah???

cause i will buy you a steak dinner if you think i am wrong...as i posted in another post i did another job today and had that shit dry quick...

Heavy prespray(dad did it and he likes to wet it down)
Same 150' with the 600 or i looked and it was 650 psi ATM(lets get that right)

Wet stroke all the way across(flow fired heater like it to stay on longer then one stroke)

Dry stroke back across the room

now remember i just added a 4 jet with it angled towards the glide, not shootin straight down..

ohhh i really need to go see john olsen and put some instruments on it...hell even clean his sales area or something and do a measurement that way

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok never mind cuz you are WAYYYYY up there in the northern area...unless of course you come on down

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Nick;

I think the only reason this "controlled leak" is working is because:

1. The original vac relief is leaking MORE air.

2. The original vac relief is improperly set.

Kunkles do tend to drop operating vacuum levels after they open, in poor installations.

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member

Name
Jesse
How many qd's including any on the machine and burner? At 1 point on a run like that we had 6 sets. Now we would have 2 and much better flow.

I've seen well used spring reliefs that were so worn you could dual wand off of it. JJ

G

Larry , I am coming down this coming week. I will bring the parts if you would be willing to try it on one of your machines and test it with your equipment. I will by lunch at Dunstuns.

from what i understand, relief valves of any kind are all one size leaks right? an expandable hole or leak would be a neat invention. something that opens up larger and larger as the pressure in the tank inceases. Nick, i have been kind of doing this free flow thing for a while. i have 6 1/4" holes in my recovery tank which i take out from time to time, seems to work well. Nick have you ever thought of some sort of opening and closing valve on a wand?

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Aren't spring relief valves variable? Leaking according to how much lift the blower is creating. A kunkle would have a fixed point of leaking.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Exactly, that is why its better. Most machines will start venting air at the spring relief at 10hg or so....a kunkle won't pop till 14ish

freeflow
Larry , I am coming down this coming week. I will bring the parts if you would be willing to try it on one of your machines and test it with your equipment. I will by lunch at Dunstuns.

man their hamburgers are great

nick, let jay and i know what day, and we'll try to meet you guys there

yummy :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom