FREE FLOW revealed and a how to guide

G

Gee thanks Larry. Jay ate a whole cow by himself one day. He could give that guy from " the spy who shaged me" a run for his money

Come on down guys

Jay D

Name
Jay D
OK, I was going to keep my mouth shut about this but I can't. Tried free flow on my EZ1636 this week, WOW. Had the EZ2747 motor in for a repair and ran the 1636 out of the trailer this week and the Vaccuum was great and i mean Way better. If you have a 33, 36 or 45 blower you will truly benefit from this modification without having to run anything but your standard 2" hose. I ran it with a 2" tubed 14" wand, a AW29 1.5" 12"wand without and with a whip(all glided) and I got to say it worked great with all 3. whip being the least of the 3. Ran it to 150ft with no problem. Anyway If you have a small blowered machine try it and you may be surprised. Just reporting my experience for the week, not piss off the pope.

Mister Sir

P.S. Both CFM and lift felt at the wand on the carpet BOTH increased. 8)

G

Re:

Kevin Bunce said:
So....why not just plumb this over the top of an existing vac relief valve. ie, control what goes through the valve?

I don't get how this can change the flow of air down the hose. Why not just set the HG to 18? Why not kunkle the blower with a capped and drilled kunkle valve?

Most peple use to say the same thing about a glide; The glide allows air flow at the point of contact; Cap the intake of a jet engine; watch the thrust disappear; same principle of aerodynamic airflow.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
this new style is really freaky,

I have the experience of running a Big Red with Roots 59 with spring loaded vr and a CanAm with a 47 with a Bayco
Big Red was plumbed with minimum 3" hose inside, running 50ft of 3" hose with 50ft of 2"
CanAm is also plumbed all 3" internal with 2.5" and 2" hose.

On one job running the Big Red, I was cleaning with Bob Foster, he'll remember, my engine was bogging right down with the tool to the chair or wand to the floor, because with hearing about all the increase in HG, I tightened my springs so it wasn't relieving as much. AS Bob kept cleaning I went out and loosened off the springs. It immediately started sucking more air, the rpms shot up, and the cleaning was better.
Ok, old tm, terrible relief system, underpowered blower, I had 1:1 on the sheaves, need to underdrive the blower with that unit.

My CanAm, totally different. When I lock down I can here the RPMs drop but only so far, my performance at the wand remains constant.
I have a extra hose off my tank that drains my sink which is controlled by a ball valve. If I leave that open, its a 1 1/4" hose, I can feel the difference at the wand. Thats a lot of bypassed air that is not getting to my wand.
I'll try partially opening it and see what difference is made.

Makes me wonder how the FF system would work with 2 wands out. That would be extra loss of CFM thats needed to operate that 2nd wand.

So far, from my two examples, having a properly plumbed and matched engine/blower performs better with a set vacuum.
I would also say that it would make more sense, IF the freeflow performs better, to have that adjustable VR at the wand where the tech can dial it in as needed, as he/she encounters different carpet or situations, ie using a waterclaw, berber vs cut pile etc. But then that is nothing new, vacuum cleaners have had VR at the wand for decades, some uph tools have VR.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I run daul wands with a #45 blower, and have been doing so for over 15 years, using the free flow system.

When running dual wands, the free flow is created by either or both of the wands, as they leave the carpet. The glide is also a controlled air leak!

When running a single wand, a cap with holes drilled in it are placed over one of the machine's 2" vac ports, for a controlled air leak. The other 2" vacuum port has a 2" hose connected to it.

LOST CFM's?

How many CFM's are flowing when the wand is locked on the carpet and before your vac relief kicks in?

NONE!

Test it yourself. Put a clear inline vac filter about 10' from your wand, and watch it while you are cleaning.

Is this ever a problem of lost vacuum when cleaning for us? NO, because you can even take one vac hose loose from the wand and lay it open on the floor. You can't tell any difference in the sound (CFM"s) on the wand still being used.

That hose laying open offers some resistance to the blower to keep it humping, as opposed to doing the open thing at the truckmount.

How many CFM's (maximum) will run through a 2" hose, a 2-1/2" hose?

I'm not taking any sdides here, only reporting my experiences using Free Flow.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Re:

truckmount girl said:
Air that is leaking at the cap or at a spring relief valve is lost CFM. This sounds like it has all the flaws of a spring relief valve, only more, because the leak is constant. The only advantage I see is allowing an underpowered system to run at a higher rpm, and thus a higher lift setting. You would pull more water and get significantly more cfm with a Kunkle set at 12 or 13 than with this system set at 14 or 15 because you would be using every cfm you produce.

This may be fine for a system that is so underpowered it can't handle a Kunkle, or severely restrictively plumbed (2" plumbing, 90 degree bends, etc), but for the life of me it makes no sense from a physics perspective how this could outperform a traditional spring relief, let alon a Kunkle/Bayco.

All this seems to be is allowing you to run your motor at a higher rpm without bogging, thus allowing you to attain higher lift numbers, but it seems you make up for any gains in lift by losing the crucial cfm. I only see this working on poorly designed, restrictive, or underpowered systems.

If you introduce a constant leak at the wand, at least the air lost there would help evacuate the hoses, but a leak at the truck is just cfm forever gone. Every cfm that exits the holes is a cfm that never made it to the wand....unless, a system is so poorly designed it never would have generated that cfm to begin with.

You are going to have to explain this better Nick. Are you saying that the average hacked together TM loses so much performance in restrictive, poorly designed plumbing that the rise in rpm, and lift will make up for the loss in cfm at the holes? If so, then it tells me that there are far bigger problems with the unit. Design a unit which is non-restrictive without having to constantly leak and put a precision reief valve on it and you will have far superior performance to any unit which is constantly pissing the cfm's generated out at the truck.

Take care,
Lisa

Im going to have to agree with Lisa. Air flowing through the controlled leak is air that is NOT flowing through the hose. Its the reverse of poking holes in the begining of a graden hose, you are going to have less water at the end.

C

Chris Sheldon

Re:

Greenie said:
Kunkles do not open immediately.

Free flow is always open.

End of story.

Nick, a machine of yours was sold here a few years ago that had a cap with like 7 holes drilled in it, I am guessing that is your "free flow" system?

The guy had to tape cardboard to it to cover all but one of the holes so he could get decent vacuum. How do you explain that? I am not trying to fight with you or disrespect you, I just can't see the logic in this.

I am not as well schooled in vacuum as some of you, but my thinking is this: The purpose of the blower is to displace air from the waste tank, which in turn displaces air from the hoses and wand, etc. If you have an an opening that is allowing constant air flow into the vac system, then it would seem to make the blower very inefficient because it is displacing air from the atmosphere, which to me would seem pointless.

I mean, you are displacing air from the atmosphere and the waste tank at the same time.

And how come when a customer comes to me with a vac problem and I find that their vac relief is sticking, I can fix the problem by repairing the relief valve so that it closes? Under your theory Nick, they should be getting better vacuum because their relief valve that is stuck open would automatically turn their machine into a "free flow" system.

Again, I don't mean any offense questioning you on this, but it just doesn't make sense to me. :D

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Michael, check the date on this subject/thread its 2 years old, sorry, no lunch, already happened. :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom