Friction burns on olefin glue down

Mikey P

Administrator
my favorite bike shop got burned this weekend when some dufus dragged his locked up rear wheel all the way from the front door to the service station in back, 200 feet or so, 1/4 inch line...

Carpet is less than a year old.

any hero tricks? :?: :oops:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
What you need is Johnny Lockitt and Stanley. !gotcha!

'cos travel, accom; and meals may be a bit on the high side from the land of the long cloud.

Maybe (alphabetically), Andrews (Steve) or Myers (Harry), might oblige. shiteatinggrin

hey Marty, blow me

John Watson

No repair, but if it is chared a bit of sandpaper can remove the chared look but the line is still there.

We cleaned a school that had theur class rooms and Library carpeted with nylon. They would move all the desks and chairs into the waxed halls.

They carpeted the hall a few years later, moved all desks and chairs for us to clean the old carpets.

3 days later I got a call, can we come clean all the dark lines out of the new carpets.

It was all marked with chared streaks and not 1 kid had stepped onit yet. I showed them the sandpaper cure and also showed how to speed it up by carefully using a dremil tool.
That was 15 yrs ago Same carpets in the hallways.

John Watson

Can't remember that, We would take an assortment. Just don't create more with the friction you cause. Test a few areas. Very time consuming, we always taught their people how to do it and just chged a training fee. This was another tip from Dr Edgar P and the Fiber Cleaning Schools of America.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
400 grit Mike... And take your sweet time. By the way it only works on light burn marks.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mike;

I have gotten the Dynachem FiberBrite to remove light burns from dragging and cigarettes.

Since it is a reducing agent, it chemically reverses the oxidation.

I sprinkle it on full strength and spray lightly with water.

If it is still there . . .

then you can try the fine grit paper.

The combo will definitely work better.

Take pictures !

Larry

Name
Shawn Forsythe
From the description of the situation, it is almost inconceivable that you have actual significant "burning" of the fiber so as to yield an oxidation state to reduce. It is wholly composed of olefin fibers which have been permanently distorted due to softening/melting and physical extrusion of the fiber from frictional heat and pressure of the part that was in contact with the yarns (because Olefin has such a low melting point, frictional heat and pressure will distort it and leave it set). The sandpaper "trick" will do two things. First it will remove sheen from the flattened fibers, and will render the rest in a more random alignment, attenuating the directional pile alignment the dragging produced.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
You may also want to make certain that is not just rubber transfer... A little solvent and a white towel may fix it.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I've used some of those heavy duty commercial magic erasers , the large ones with moderate success. And what I mean when I say success is, they could live with the result. I don't believe there is a complete fix as the fiber has been truly damaged and thus no way to fix, just make it look better.

S

sam miller

Jeremy said:
You may also want to make certain that is not just rubber transfer... A little solvent and a white towel may fix it.

Thats what I was thinking but Mike probably tried a solvent first I would use Heavy duty soil lifter. Maybe even a little wd40

or drag a few more bikes and create a pattern.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
I can clean it bud, but the Olefin burn is there for good! thathurts

Name
Lee Stockwell
I did a claim for Amoco Fibers at Baddour's corporate offices in Memphis that was a drag burn from god knows what being dragged down a hallway.

I scrapped it with a sharpened spoon in my spotting bag, spritzing lightly with lacquer thinner and a white towel to catch the residue.

Put your thumb in the bowl of the spoon to get proper grip on it.

S

sam miller

I hope the guy draggin the bike through has insurance!

Stupid Insurance for the peanut head in Your life! hey Marty, blow me

mcatt

Name
Mike
I had this almost exact problem only the carpet was in a garage at a beach house. The kid came skidding in with his weight on the bike and tried everything but could not get it out. Thanks for the sandpaper suggestion and I will use this on our next visit as we clean it every 6months or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom